Stan Lee - December 28, 1922 – November 12, 2018

Scarlett Johansson is a great fucking actress, one of the best. But the problem is that no matter what they do with Black Widow, she's still going to be the most flat character on that roster. She's good when she's actually doing spy stuff, since she's a spy, but that happens once in the beginning and once in the middle. And now that they're adding in two new Avengers and a more powerful villain, they need her even less. What good is a spy against a cold, emotionless, homicidal robot?

And the one thing about Hawkeye is he's the only person in the movie who really had an arc that wasn't "We can't work as a team. Oh okay, yes we can." He does some bad shit and then does what he can to atone for it. Which is also Black Widow's arc, but you don't get to see hers happen. She just talks about it.

Now if they made a Black Widow movie, I would be behind that. There's a lot of cool spy stuff she could do.

I'm with Longo on this one. If you remember the scene in the Avengers when Thor comes to grab Loki from the jet, Captain America is about to go after them and Black Widow tells him he should just sit this one out because those guys are basically gods to us. She was more or less saying they were out of their league, and couldn't do anything about it. You didn't see her in any hurry to turn the jet around and go back for them because she knew there wasn't shit she could do.

That's why they tried to keep the "weaker" members busy during the invasion doing more mundane things. They had Captain America practicing his floor routine for the next Olympics and saving some people in a bank. The aliens were nice enough to attack Hawkeye and Black Widow a few at a time unlike the 100 or so that ganged up on the Hulk, who along with Thor and Iron Man did the heavy lifting. This is not a complaint by the way. I don't think there is another way that could have played out.

So as the threats become greater and more dangerous, as they usually do in sequels, abilities such as, Super Spy, and looking amazing in a skintight jumpsuit become less useful.

I agree she would be great in her own movie where she is dealing with stuff on her own level.

No, that's totally true but I think she plays a much larger role in the movies than she ever could have in comics. I mean, think about little girls going out and seeing these movies with the rest of the family. There NEEDS to be some strong female lead, whether it's Black Widow or Agent whatever her name was or whoever. I just disagree that writing the character to her actual abilities and strengths makes her "flat"... among other reasons that were probably obvious in my sarcasm. If anything she's believable and real and more empowering as a result. The entire Helicarrier scene is a good example of that (and a good example of how Cap got the shit end of the stick throughout the movie, which Winter Soldier should hopefully redeem).

But please, Marvel business Gods, don't make some femme-fatale movie with all the female supes strutting their stuff and gossiping about the villain's looks.

Oh absolutely there needs to be a good female character in the movies. Which is why I'm glad they're introducing Scarlet Witch, since she's able to operate at the highest levels possible.

I hought that they did make her an integral part of the final battle and while she wasn't fighting, she was on the spot figuring out the end solution. Also, Hawkeye is a badass. He outsmarted Loki, the Trickster God, with an exploding arrow head.

I think you guys are over-nerding this one. Black Widow is an important character, played well by a good actor. It doesn't matter that she doesn't contribute much to the alien-fighting or nether-God capturing, she still contributes a lot to the movies as a whole.

Or at least, she has the potential to be a good, integral character. Those Marvel movies vary greatly in quality, writing-wise. Even scene-to-scene they sort of bounce around the target.

The reason it's so exciting to me that Scarlet Witch is coming to the franchise isn't necessarily because she's one of the most powerful weapons in comics, it's really because she's being portrayed by a supremely talented actress and she's being written by a dude with a pretty stellar track record of writing strong female characters.

used44 said:
I think you guys are over-nerding this one. Black Widow is an important character, played well by a good actor. It doesn't matter that she doesn't contribute much to the alien-fighting or nether-God capturing, she still contributes a lot to the movies as a whole.

Or at least, she has the potential to be a good, integral character. Those Marvel movies vary greatly in quality, writing-wise. Even scene-to-scene they sort of bounce around the target.

The reason it's so exciting to me that Scarlet Witch is coming to the franchise isn't necessarily because she's one of the most powerful weapons in comics, it's really because she's being portrayed by a supremely talented actress and she's being written by a dude with a pretty stellar track record of writing strong female characters.
snoop.gif

Glad to know i am not the only one thinking this around here.

Looks Daredevil red, but also realistic and functional. And hopefully frictionless.

Here's a couple more shots:

51FF23D3-F9F0-4FDB-AA45-A4ED8BF78C3A_zpscqfym6uz.jpg

41B37113-7A2F-4203-8A5C-436034746993_zpstupvkxln.jpg

I think you guys are over-nerding this one

Yeah, I have a tendency to do that from time to time. I think I rustled some jimmies when I did something similar when we were discussing The Hunger Games a while back. Bad habit I guess.

Showrunner of NBC's Constantine, David S Goyer says that the show will be true to the source material. He says they're still negotiating on if or how much they can show the titular character smoking and that going forward, other characters from the DC universe could show up. I'm betting on Zatanna and Deadman.

Adrian Pasdar will play Hulk-hunter Glenn Talbot in an upcoming episode of Agents of SHIELD.
3659549-1510053225-157981.jpg

Also putting in time on the show will be Patton Oswalt as Agent Eric Koenig.
Patton-Oswalt-Eric-Koenig.jpg

Here's some news and pics from the upcoming Fox series Gotham.
24AFDA08-34B6-4DB2-B644-F019BAC8F959_zpswqqsxhaj.jpg

Donal Logue as Detective Harvey Bullock.
gotham-harvey-bullock.jpg

Robert Lord Taylor as Oswald Cobblepot.
gotham-oswald1.jpg

A young Selina Kyle.
Camren-Bicondova-catwoman-3.jpg

And her with young Bruce Wayne.
david-mazouz-bruce-wayne-gotham.jpg

Here's some news for you, Longo:
Doctor Doom will indeed be the villain in The Fantastic Four. The list of contenders to play von Doom are Sam Riley (Control), Eddie Redmayne (Les Miserables), Toby Kebbell (Rocknrolla), and Domhnall Gleeson (Dredd).
drdoom-contenders.jpg

Whoever plays him doesn't matter as much to me as long as he is written well and has the mask on the majority of the film.

Fox revealed three release dates for future Marvel films. Following X-Men: Apocalypse, James Mangold will return to direct The Wolverine 2, announced for March 3, 2017. Even though The Fantastic Four doesn't release until summer of next year, a sequel for it is already slated for July 14, 2017. A third unnamed film is set for July 13, 2018. My speculation is that it will be X-Force.

Here's the best look yet at the Rhino-mech from The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
90A049A7-F65A-46A4-BE20-A6E263D0D781_zpsbeljby5p.jpg

And here's a good shot of Dane DeHaan's Goblin.
ASM-image-8-3-18.jpg

Director of The Amazing Spider-Man films, Marc Webb, says that he'll be back to direct part three, but not the fourth film.

Patrick Wilson says that he has an important role in Ant-Man, but cannot yet elaborate on who he'll play.

I reported before that one of Marvel's future films will share a release date with DC's Man of Steel sequel on May 6, 2016. It now looks like the hero to go up against Superman and Batman will be Cap himself. Captain America 3 (hopefully it gets a subtitle rather than number) will debut against the World's Finest. While I'm sure I'll see both, I'm eager to see how that box office battle will play out.

Sebastian Stan says that he had signed a nine picture deal with Marvel. After Cap 3, Chris Evans says he plans to take some time off from acting. Let's see how well the films end up following the comics...

I've chosen not to read the spoilers on the details, but it's confirmed that Joss Weadon directed one the end credit teasers for Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

The recent tv special Marvel Studios: Assembling a Universe offered a sneak peak of what's to come in The Avengers: Age of Ultron. The first shots were of cars being thrown about and then a large red mechanical arm prop. And then this:
hulk-avengers2.jpg

Looks like we may get to see Hulk vs Hulkbuster armor.

Also revealed was the first concept images of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.
aveng2-scarlet-conc.jpg

aveng2-quick-con.jpg

I'd definitely say that Age of Ultron's Quicksilver design looks better than Days of Future Past's.

I'll end with a couple of things.

We're now one step closer to Doc Ock style villainy.

Captain America: F**k Yeah!

So this is a Megan Cox movie featuring Turtles. Like that other Megan Fox movie featuring robots.

Also I have not been keeping up with this thread. Is Matt Damon playing The Flash? Is Kevin Smith putting the DC cinematic universe together?

I just don't like their designs, but maybe that's because the trailer cut the footage up so much. The only long shots of the turtles seemed really dark and gray. Those old practical effects were great and I understand everything is CG now, but I'm still not sure if I'm gonna see this in the theater.

Like, I know the old movies were probably crazy expensive, but they also made a ton of money and gave the brand a long life. Plus, I'm absolutely sure there'll be no real originality to speak of in this film. They'll tread on the same puns and physical gags they did 20 years ago. If you don't see a turtle doing some crazy bull shit sewer skateboarding in this movie, I'll eat a turtle. (I won't actually eat a turtle)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod