Say goodbye to Spiderman 4 and hello to a reboot...

GRColin

Rookie
Peter Parker is going back to high school when the next Spider-Man hits theaters in the summer of 2012.

Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios announced today they are moving forward with a film based on a script by James Vanderbilt that focuses on a teenager grappling with both contemporary human problems and amazing super-human crises.

The new chapter in the "Spider-Man" franchise produced by Columbia, Marvel Studios and Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin, will have a new cast and filmmaking team. Spider-Man 4 was to have been released in 2011, but had not yet gone into production.

"A decade ago we set out on this journey with Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire and together we made three 'Spider-Man' films that set a new bar for the genre. When we began, no one ever imagined that we would make history at the box-office and now we have a rare opportunity to make history once again with this franchise. Peter Parker as an ordinary young adult grappling with extraordinary powers has always been the foundation that has made this character so timeless and compelling for generations of fans. We're very excited about the creative possibilities that come from returning to Peter's roots and we look forward to working once again with Marvel Studios, Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin on this new beginning," said Amy Pascal, co-chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment.

"Working on the 'Spider-Man' movies was the experience of a lifetime for me. While we were looking forward to doing a fourth one together, the studio and Marvel have a unique opportunity to take the franchise in a new direction, and I know they will do a terrific job," said Sam Raimi.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=62315

Apparently Sam Raimi wanted more creative control over the fourth film as he realized 3 was pretty lame but then the script the studio gave him (which was written by five people) was worse than Spiderman 3 with three villians crammed into it. So maybe this is a good thing. Raimi walked away from four because he felt he couldn't make a quality film by the 2011 release date seeing as how they hadn't even gone into production yet.

Other articles are stating the script they're using for this one are going to have a grittier film - Batman Begins, the Dark Knight type of feel. That's fine and dandy but since when has Spiderman been gritty and dark? I'll reserve judgment on that aspect until I see the film. However I can't hold back judgment concerning the fact that it will focus on a teenage Peter Parker dealing with teen issues and his new superpowers....With no Sam Raimi.

Lethean said:
Apparently Sam Raimi wanted more creative control over the fourth film as he realized 3 was pretty lame but then the script the studio gave him (which was written by five people) was worse than Spiderman 3 with three villians crammed into it.

I heard Raimi was arguing with Columbia over who the next villain was going to be. Obviously Columbia didn't listen.

Lethean said:
Other articles are stating the script they're using for this one are going to have a grittier film
More emo Peter Parker, anyone?
emospidey_l.jpg

Lethean said:
....With no Sam Raimi.
The only reason I put my faith in the series to begin with was because Sam Raimi was directing it.
crying-baby-giant-eyes1.jpg

Oh well, here's looking forward to Army of Darkness 2 and his Evil Dead reboot

I was going to post the One Tree Hill clip from Family Guy, but all I got out of YouTube was hot brunettes, and I'm in class so...forget that.

Rami's first Spiderman movie was fantastic and the second was probably the best Marvel superhero movie until Iron Man came out.

They won't top those two.

Eh, I don't have high expectations. I didn't have high expectations for the first one and that is what made it so great... so I'm not trying to get hyped for the second.

Good, no Spider-Man 4.

Damn, a new Spider-Man movie. Is Peter going to complain about his broken room door again?

The rumors I had heard about Spider-Man 4 had Rhino, Kraven, The Lizard and The Vulture all in it. It sounded like Batman & Robin on the level of stupidity.

If I had to guess, this one will focus on his relationship with Gwen Stacy, and have some random villain kill her instead of Green Goblin. If that is said plot, expect an even worse fan backlash than was #3.

They need to do an older Spiderman and bring in some of the more current story lines. Something fresh. Shit, get together with Fox and Universal and do some Civil War stuff.

I'd watch the shit out of that.

The whole story line. It is a good one. Imagine a North and South or God's and Generals scope of movie, but with Marvel characters.

It would be badass.

You know what would get me excited? Is if they hired James Cameron to direct the reboot. Sony owns his unused script from 1991 as it is and he did say the only superhero movie he'd ever direct is Spiderman. Wishful thinking I know.

Um, according to him he was working on Avatar.

The guy is just a name anymore and that name doesn't excite me. Younger directors like Jason Rietman get me excited for the future of cinema.

So is Sam Raimi apparently.

Seriously, I don't mind the idea of a reboot, but you really got to wait a while for it. It's like the Prince of Persia reboot they did, 4 years after the last Prince of Persia game.

Give it some time then, but that being said, I must admit that a more complex Peter Parker storyline in his teen years would be interesting, as long as they do it right, and by right I mean Chris Nolan right, where the enemies are petty thugs and shit like that instead of the Green Goblin so suddenly.

StalfrosCC said:
Um, according to him he was working on Avatar.

The guy is just a name anymore and that name doesn't excite me. Younger directors like Jason Rietman get me excited for the future of cinema.

Yeah he was working on Avatar but there's no need for us to wait another 12 years for his next feature film if it's a Spiderman reboot. Really, Jason Reitman is a good director when it comes to thoughtful comedies, yeah but there is nothing wrong with older directors such as James Cameron. It excites me still when I hear his name attached to a project and I'm sure it excites many others.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod