Comic Book Reading Club - PLANET HULK

I'm sorry. :(

To be honest, I'm not sure. The only DC comic I'm reading at the moment is Injustice: Gods Among Us.

I've also read Batman: Arkham Unhinged, since I'm a huge fan of the Arkham games.

I was reading Batman and Robin: Reborn, but I didn't like what came about it... I'm not fond of the whole "Batman Inc" thing, so I haven't really read much of the New 52.

Going back to Marvel though, ever since watching Guardians of the Galaxy (and loving it), I would really like to get into those comics. Just not quite sure where to start.

If you want to start at the beginning, you could start with Annihilation: Conquest. That set up the Guardians relaunch in 2008

Longo_2_guns said:
Well, before Annihilation: Conquest was Annihilation.

This is what makes catching up in comics such a pain in the ass.

I finished Planet Hulk, BTW. I really preferred Lopresti's pencilling over Pagulayan's. His facial expressions were sometimes so odd.

I'll look to Longo to lead the discussion.

Well, you could always start in the middle and just say that unimportant shit happens before this.

Now then, as for the discussion, first, did you guys like it?

Second, how do Hulk's stated goals (such as him saying he just wants to be left alone) differ from what he actually does, and what does that say about his character?

Third, favorite scene?

I really did like it, even though I got the impression that the last issue was more about setting up World War
Hulk than wrapping up Planet Hulk (and it worked, because I can't wait to read WWH).

Hulk wanted to be left alone, but maybe what he didn't know was that he needed to be with others like him: outcasts, monsters, fighters. Warbound.

Used nailed the scenery comparison by bringing up the Spaceman Spiff panels from Calvin and Hobbes.

Here's some of the panels and pages I liked the most or ones that stood out for other reasons:

I love that expression on Hulk's face as the dart pierces his chest and he falls down.
3a53fa99-6021-4d47-839a-41c2ddc28e1c_zps6a123b8e.png

I laughed at the Death's Heads reaction when Hulk informed them of his current state of mind.
b041a3b2-db2c-494e-8ad4-935f986b4e34_zps23cbfec2.png

Silver Surfer beating the shit out of Hulk with a mace while using his surfboard as a shield. Awesome.
0339e4c7-c12e-4640-a895-cdb128d3dc18_zps7492e6ab.png

Hulk returns the favor in kind while the audience gets increasingly uncomfortable.
893a8b49-d6b4-4055-b4ea-2789b8337a1d_zps4747c637.png

Hulk's reaction to getting stabbed in the shoulder by Caiera:
8F02E241-6700-4781-B565-91348713EA57.png_zps6xz4goxc.jpeg

There will be peace even if Hulk has to kill every last one of you to make it happen:
29b8cabf-704d-48c0-aaac-e27a21b4a3a4_zps8accdec7.png

I had to go over this part a couple of times to see if Miek and Brood were really doing what I thought they were. A little disturbing, but go Miek.
ADDA5BEE-2A67-4560-BD8C-9DA055BC1EB2.png_zpsspu3faov.jpeg

Hulk came so far just to lose everything...
e0e8e6ea-9194-467c-a895-b9f26b78e872_zps9e1f93fd.png

...he lost her...
3a5c3d0d-ea24-4f13-ba09-1395007890b1_zpsa88d2279.png

For grins and giggles, I also read the What If? for Planet Hulk. One of the scenarios had Hulk die instead of Caiera and she is PISSED. She comes to Earth to exact her revenge, but stops by the Moon first to enslave Black Bolt.
233bb998-e92e-4391-83d9-17ac663f081b_zps4b43e491.png

She's the strongest one there is.
8fd2c3d3-c111-4d99-9a75-60c5cf2310bc_zpsb8b7a455.png

So I really liked this Hulk because they finally show that Hulk has so e real feelings. He has personal desires. He's not just the bat shit crazy counterpart to Banner. Usually it's Banner trying to keep him in check and balance a life and then the Hulk ruins it. Or Banner is merely called upon to Hulk up from wherever he has hidden himself.

Let's face it, people don't care about the man they care about the monster. And the cool thing about this is the real monsters of this book are us. All the atrocities we see the pinkies perform happened in human culture.

I enjoyed the idea that Hulk continuously shows that he will always fight because he can win but in a world surrounded by other outcasts he feels comfortable enough to not fight. And he even slows down enough to talk. On Earth the other heroes (who are monstrous in many ways for what they did to Hulk as well as trying to justify it by his oft screamed demand of wanting to be left alone) are acceptable and live in society. Hulk can't enjoy that. But on this new planet he has other monsters and outcasts to join. It was nice to see him find friends and love.

I would argue that Hulk has come to see solitude as his refuge. He doesn't want to fight because he knows he'll win. He doesn't wanted to be cajoled into fitting because he's the biggest gun to bear only to be tossed aside when the battle is over. He wants acceptance.

Checking back in. Just finished 2008 to 2010 of GOTG, leading up to Thanos Imperative which is great. Read that one last year at Longo's suggestion.

I'm leading up to those myself. I read Annihilation and its tie ins and am doing the same now with Annihilation: Conquest. Then I'll continue on with Guardians.

Wow. Immortal iron fist: seven cities of heaven was good. I hate you all for mentioning unlimited. I waste so many evenings on it.

Soo, I love marvel, and im not just a basic person who loves marvel, i have read both the encyclopedias front to back multiple times so I would consider myself more of an enthusiast than just someone who blindly says they like marvel, but I have not read any comics and I want to! I just dont know where to start.

Bretimus_v2 said:
What series or characters really interest you?

My favorite character is deadpool, which I have heard has a lot of comics on him. But I dont really know where to start with his commics

I'd say there's three main spots to jump into. If you're more of a casual reader, I'd say just begin with the most recent Deadpool series that started a couple of years ago.
F4FD4DC7-D9B8-400F-A926-F0B5E2EF937C_zpskfaftwkg.png

Going back a little further was a Deadpool series that ran from 2008 to 2012, but it starts right in the middle of the Marvel event Secret Invasion (which I'm currently balls deep in).
39E26252-0AAF-44B4-8C74-5F49C310430E_zpsxhjsedzi.png

A lot of people consider his best run though to be the series that began back in 1997 writen by Joe Kelley.
FED2D10D-DFE1-443A-ADD8-2FCDBCED0B98.png_zpsvjtc7rsq.jpeg

Subscribe to Marvel Unlimited, pick one of those runs and go to town.

I recently marathoned through the first part of Grant Morrison's Multiversity series, ie what's out now.

Please tell me someone else is reading this. It's a fucking masterpiece.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VoHoYo