Comic Readers Unite! Comic suggestions/talk about comics

Delorean88

Rookie
So I was meandering in the campus bookstore the other day and I saw a section tittle "Graphic Novels/Manga" and it was next to sci-fi books. I don't care about Manga (except for the scott pilgrim series I want to read that) but I was looking at their graphic novel selection and they had:
Halo: Uprising comic
the entire Kick-Ass comic series in one book (already read that and have the movie but I downloaded the comic online so maybe print is better),
The Green Hornet
Batman
The Walking Dead
some gears or war comics
A book that had a collection of marvel (or DC can't remember) comics
Star Wars graphic novels
and a bunch of others

I've always wanted to get into comic books, I feel that it's a way to get deeper into the universes of various characters that I love but I don't know where to start and whats good or bad. I not much of a reader thus why I never read the novels based on games I see (like the halo novels) but I always that graphic novels were cool and I read a little of watchmen and all of kick-ass and I like that style. But I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I know the best way is to go to a actual comic book store but I don't have a car or know of a store location so this is all I got and unfortunately all of these books cost a lot so I'm to buy a couple and I want those to blow my mind. Any suggestions of the above or even of any comics that if a comic store is found I should check out?

Marvel Civil War. Seriously. Read that one.

Oh and there's an interesting, creepy, Marvel Zombies one as well.

Civil war, as Lethean suggested. Follow that up with Fallen Son. Batman: Knightfall is good as well as DC's Kingdom Come. You may want to grab the DC and Marvel Encyclopedias. Look for a Half-Price Bookstore. Failing that, Amazon is your friend.

A good one I read was DMZ, its about alternative timeline where a Second Civil War that starts in the aftermath of 9/11, and a journalist who lives among civilians and fighters in a partially abandoned Manhattan. I actually found out about it from someone on GR. Or if you want to check out autobiographical/slice-of-life comics, I suggest Persepolis, by Marjane Satrapi, Fun Home, by Alison Bechdal, and Optic Nerve or Summer Blonde, by Adrian Tomine. Also, Jeph Jacques, the writer of my favorite webcomic, Questionable Content, put out a book of the first 300 strips.

As for where to find them, comic book shops are like bus stops or mailboxes--you never notice them until you start looking for one, then you realize they are rather plentiful. If you live a college town, I imagine that could support at least one comic book store. Your local independent "alternative" bookstore is also a good bet. And I'm going to let you in on a little secret. All of the above comics I've read I found at my local public library. All for free.

GiftedMonkey said:
A good one I read was DMZ, its about alternative timeline where a Second Civil War that starts in the aftermath of 9/11, and a journalist who lives among civilians and fighters in a partially abandoned Manhattan.
Seconding this

Invincible, it's done by Robert Kirkman, the same guy that does The Walking Dead. It can be serious, but it also kind of pokes fun at super heroes, namely the DC universe. Although this is a series and not a stand alone.

Incognito, it's about a villain in witness protection and is given drugs that suppress his powers. He takes narcotics that counteract the effects of the suppressive drugs and becomes a vigilante. However, it doesn't really have an "end". It was purposely ended that way though.

So I checked out the bookstore looking for the suggestions you guys gave and they had none of which any of you said which semi surprised me (except for naruto, bleach and one piece), I was at least expecting Marvel Civil War. That one I want to read because, I may be mistaken, but that comic is what Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 was about. The only Batman they had was "The Dark Knight Returns" which I think is by Frank Miller who I like, I read 300 and liked it though it was way after watching the movie and I kept wanting to stop reading and just watch the movie. They also had Batman Year One (also by Frank Miller) but I shifted through the pages of both and DKR looked a lot cooler. But I feel these books are overpriced and if I want the full comic experience (and a thicker wallet) I should go to a comic book store but I know I can find one near campus but I don't have a car and I can walk but the college isn't exactly in the greatest neighborhood. I'm a brown suburbanite I'm no where near being really really really from the hood (I hate myself for making that reference). They do have a huge book and it have lots of Marvel strips in it I think but I downloaded 2 apps on my iPod the DC and Marvel app and on them I can buy, download and read comics at mostly $1.99 but I get select comic for free. Might do that but I'm leaning towards buying DKR or just not being any of them and buying Patton Oswalt's Zombie Spaceship Wasteland (Love his stand-up and I hear the book is great). Thanks for the suggestions I guess could keep going with this thread and just suggest any comics that you read that you think GR should know of or just discuss comics you read or want to read. If not I got the suggestions I need so.... But seriously guys thanks for the comic book advice

Green_Lantern said:
Paragraphs man!

Here, this will help you out, and cheaper than a local bookstore.

http://www.amazon.com

I know.... Every reply I have is a huge response. I try not to write a lot but everytime I write new things pop up that I want to say. I feel bad cause I feel like I'm giving everyone a new essay to read everyday.

DKR is awesome, for the record.

Also, I just realized that JCD posted Chronicles of Wormwood. Gonna second that one as well. Shit is awesome.

I don't really do comics as much as graphic novels, but...
JCD said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y:_The_Last_Man
I can and will second that call. Extra mention to Pia Guerra from me, because she's sweet.

I will also second the advice to go to the damn library! Or you could even try your hand at searching for the material online, if that's your thing.

s'all. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod