Comic Book Reading Club - PLANET HULK

Kids got it rough. First he's like "I love my dad" then he's like "I hate my dad because he's WRONG" and then all of a sudden he wants to be a lawyer and is getting teased? This is some rapid fire characterization, but the sequential art is pretty awesome.
7YgnjZJ.jpg

Normally I hate wasted space like this in comics, but obviously here it serves Matt losing his sight. Really enjoying this book so far.

I really enjoyed the fast pace of the early character development. It kept it from becoming too tedious. Kid's got it rough though. Lot of terrible shit happens to him.

I read most of the first issue while listening to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxabLA7UQ9k

Really made the montage like quality of his development a lot more epic than it was.

Frank Miller really is as good as his reputation, right? Because I really like this one so far.

That's cool that you took a pic, Daniel, because I did too.

GuUZxC3.png

I loooove this panel. Holy shit. I want to frame that.

Romita's art is gorgeous. It fits Miller's writing better than even Miller's own penciling does.

I like the pace too. It's neat that the book is (so far?) narrated. Very old-school pulp story.

Yeah this is pretty classic Miller, Nick. Used points out the narrator which is also very Miller, whether it's a character's view or omni-narrator.

Here's some more narration I loved:
"... it gushes through high power hoses and slams against the base of his skull."
great image for the radioactive material seeping into his blood stream

"He follows a lover's quarrel in a crowded restaurant, isolating the voice, not missing a word."
The structure certainly adds to the pace. I can't help but fly over this list of things Matt's listening to despite the corporate lawyer refusing to help.

How about "Stick" teaching Matt?
"I was born blind, kid. On the street. And I made my way, so don't give with any more belly-aching or I'll flatten you."

Here's the Fixer, one of the laziest gangsters I've ever seen. Can't even repeat his threats:
"You're a set-up old man. I've made you flavor of the month in the boxing world, and you're going to make me a bundle of money-- when you throw tomorrow's fight. No arguments, murdock. The usual threats apply."
Because he's made those threats so many times they're now just printed on the back of his business card.

And while it's a few pages back, my last impression of the first issue are these panels (preceding the big splash of Stick and Matt on the roofs):
rshCpdh.jpg

Love the use of all-black profiles and the colors in the background. it's so evocative of twilight and that time of evening.

From Issue #2: "It's not the snoring. It's nothing inside this room. It's outside. Everywhere outside. It's the wind and everything it carries, everything it touches. It charges off the ocean, fierce, bitter cold...."

Great use of senses in the narration here, but overall I think the second issue is a little dull. I hate Foggy and the phoned-in bully thing. Despite that the sequential art is again fantastic, especially when Matt is doing all these acrobatics on rooftops. I might re-read.

I can't get enough of how well Frank Miller uses repetition. From Issue #5: But Then - Matt hears his pursuers screech around - giving up the chase - Matt knows why.

"Find Her. Listen. Concentrate."

Squad cars chase the truck.

"Ignore it. Listen. Concentrate."

"Concentrate".

I love it because it's such an effective way to let us understand how Matt relies on his senses so much. As long as he's focused, he doesn't need to even see, he just feels the world so much more.

Awesome.

I'm half an issue behind, because I fell asleep with the book in my hand last night.

But damn, this book is more brutal than I had anticipated. I should have expected it, knowing Miller but I guess I didn't expect it from Daredevil.

One image/event that is really sticking with my throughout is Jack's face nearly falling off after being beaten, and then having the gun stuffed in is mouth and the trigger pulled.

Wonderfully drawn, but, jeeeeeesus.

I'm going to read "Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman: Trinity" this weekend. Three issues. Join me, or don't!

I won't! I haven't read any new books lately, but I do have $25 store credit to my local shop. Recommendations? Maybe an X-Men book since I'm high off of hype for Days of Future Past.

I just got a large 8 gb flash full of new comics, and so I was gonna play catch up with DC.

As for what to read, it depends on what you want to read. If you've never read Days of Future Past, I would HIGHLY recommend it. It's the comic I use when discussing the X-Men in my class.

Thinking about trying to start this thing back up. I spent ten bucks for a month of Marvel Unlimited tonight and already burned through half of Avengers vs. X-Men.

Anyone want to read things with me and talk about comic stuff?
514C25CC-3C86-4869-9C7D-17C848CE042C_zpscd0vlnji.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133