Comic Readers Unite! Comic suggestions/talk about comics

image-3.jpg

Here's my very humble comic collection. Lots of Batman, as you can see.

I was about to buy DKR but when I flipped through the pages for some reason the art style really bugged me, I didn't know why I just felt that if I bought it I wouldn't be able to get past it. Maybe I'll just have to stop being so superficial, but I started reading the new comic series Marvel is doing in promotion for the new Captain America called Captain America the First Avenger. The first issue was free through the Marvel app and I read it and I like it so far. I'm planning on going to a Barnes & Noble or Books-a-million to see if they have a book that contains all of Civil War because I really want to read that

Good luck collecting everything civil war; several different characters had thier own Civil War story arc. Best thing to do is find Road to Civil War and then Civil War itself. Follow that up with The Death of Captain America.

If art style is a factor for you, then you must get DC's Kingdom Come. It has the most beautiful, detailed, and awesome art I've seen thus far in comics.

Nice collection there used. I'll have to post mine sometime.

Sorry to revive a dead thread but I just wanted to say, I took some of the suggestions that were posted here. I bought Dark Knight Returns and gotta say "mind blown"... One of the best batman stories I've heard/read/seen. Even though I complained about the art style I got over it on page 2. Afterwards I bought/read Batman Year One which I think I would of enjoyed so much more if I didn't read it immediately after TDKR. And I just finished today Batman The Long Halloween and loved that, the ending was perfect. So far I would say TDKR the best then BTLH right under, I was really amazed by it.

When I got more money in my pocket I'll be buying one of these: Killing Joke, Watchmen, Arkham Asylum, or Old Man Logan. I don't want to buy KJ cause it's 60 something pages which it short and bums me out cause I'll most likely read it a day which I don't want to do. Any of you guys read anything new or interesting? I just downloaded the Halo Graphic Novel on my computer and hopefully I can get it on my iPod touch.

So far my "collection", if I can call it that:
5449220.jpg

Hopefully it'll build as time passes, I only have the Bone books cause I got them in 9th grade and I figured why not bring them on campus with the others. Honestly really enjoyed those two books and I might buy the complete series one day.

Man, I go through graphic novels in one sitting too, even the longish ones like Long Halloween. For one, I'm a pretty fast reader. But also, I'm sort of a hedonistic nerd who can't quench my own appetite. I'm like, "More more more!" until I've read the whole thing, then I'm disappointed that it's over.

The Killing Joke is short, but also contains one of the key events in Batman continuity. You may also want to look for Joker. Some pretty intense imagery in that one.

And most defiantly add some Marvel to your collection. So many awesome Marvel stories have came out in the past decade. Remember: great bargains are to be had at half price bookstores and Amazon.

My most recent reads were Avengers/Invaders, where WW2 era Captain America and team are brought from the past to present day, and Captain America Rebirth. I still have a Punisher War Journal sitting on my table to read.

If you guys didn't know, I'm a fan of Sandman (look left). 100 Bullets was an incredible series, one which I never finished because the library didn't have the last two copies. Thinking of just buying them and getting it over with. I also own the Long Halloween trilogy, and If you enjoyed that I strongly recommend Hush. It's by Jeph Loeb, and if you were a fan of his work with the Long Halloween, you'll enjoy Hush. My friend said he'll lend me Knightfall, but I keep forgetting to take it from him.

I just read that too! Read all three issues on my iPhone, which was weird, but cheap and kind of cool. I got a little sick of it by the third act though.

Yeah, once I got to act 3 I was kinda just pressing forward to get to the end, which not only did not disappoint but BLEW MY FUCKING MIND

Haven't had anything new to read, my friend possibly will let me borrow watchmen but until then it's re-reading DKR. Though I was at books-a-million and saw a 24 graphic novel and I'm a huge 24 fan. Oh the temptation but I fought it and bought Long Halloween (this was a long time ago)

I just bought a big Amazon order of TPBs. Basically, everything Batman that Grant Morrison wrote since 2008.

What are some must-read Marvel arcs/collected issues? Preferably something easy enough to obtain, and concluded (as much as comics get concluded). X-Men, Avengers, whatever.

Lets see...Civil War should go without saying. Grab Road to Civil War and Civil War itself. Follow that up with Fallen Son: Death of Captain America then continue with Captain America Reborn. There's Spider-Man: Blue, Wolverine: Origins, The Ultimates and Avengers/Invaders. Any Marvel collection needs Essential Avengers Volume 1. That contains the first two years of the Avengers comics from the 60s.

I can probably name more but these should keep you occupied for awhile.

And I know it's not Marvel, but I highly recommend DC's Kingdom Come. Beautiful art-work in that one.

I have Civil War and Kingdom Come. I'll look into the rest of that stuff. Thanks.

Sorry to revive this thread again but had to say I bought Killing Joke and Dark Victory, I loved Killing Joke but didn't like hour it took me a hour and a half to finish. But honestly I realize it was that short for a reason and for the story it was telling was a perfect length. I really loved how it explored the nature of Joker and Batman's relationship, showed a origin of Oracle and had a possible origin of Joker while also explaining why there isn't a set in stone origin of Joker. Dark Victory I didn't love but really enjoyed, doesn't compare to Long Halloween but I liked the continuance of Long Halloween's world and liked how it is a Batman story involving Robin and it didn't make me hate Robin (a character I hated until I read Dark Knight Returns and watched Under the Red Hood). Next on my list to buy is haunted knight and hush, all I have is Batman and I mean to show Marvel some love but I never realized how rich the world of Batman is in the comics and I'm not done with Batman. I want more and I want it now.

So far out of all the Batman graphic novels I've read from best to worst:
1. Dark Knight Returns
2. Batman Long Halloween (even though Killing Joke is probably better the suspense and mystery of Holiday was a ride I really loved)
3. Killing Joke
4. Batman Dark Victory
5. Batman Year One (still good but I didn't see what the huge deal was and why IGN rated it above DKR

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod