Graphic Novels

Eliasoz, I am extremely inclined to trust your opinion. Mostly because your avatar is Maynard, however.

My friend owns Y: The Last Man, so I'll probably end up snaging it from him (he also said it's really good). We went to a comic book store together one day, and I wanted to start a series. He decided to start Preacher, and I chose Sandman. I'll probably end up getting that one off him as well.

Ex Machina has a really neat idea behind it, so I'll probably give that one a try once I'm done Sandman (quick update: I'm on number 7, and holy shniz it is good). Transmetropolitan I hear is also very good.

I'm going to devise my own personal list, but lets keep this thread alive, because I'm always open to more suggestions

For manga, you should definitely check out Monster. I'd really hate to give anything about the plot away as it's one of its' best features, along with the characters and pacing.
But I can say that it's downright amazing, it's one of the best manga out there and possibly the best in it's genre of Mystery/Suspense.

I'm glad this topic exists, because after reading some autobiographical graphic novels (Persepolis, Fun Home, Maus) I've wanted to sink my teeth into more graphic novels (of all sorts). Thanks for the suggestions, check out Persepolis, Fun Home, and Maus :)

Fun Home is a graphic memoir by Alison Bechdal, who writes a comic called Dykes To Watch Out For. It examines her coming of age and her relationship with her closeted father and the circumstances regarding his death, a possible suicide. It was good, but not something I would call "fun."

Rakon said:
And Mattay, list some good mangas and I will check them out.

If you havent read/watched it yet, I seriously recommend Battle Royale in its manga form. It's so immersive! I think I bought the 15 volumes in about 8 days! Could not stand to be away from them. The art is amazing, along with the narrative - bar the traditional stuff (Naruto, One Piece etc) I'd say it's the best manga I've ever read.

Vagabond is another one I recommend. I forget who told me about it on here (Hlallu?), but I got well into that as soon as I read the first chapter. Very detailed, especially during the fighting scenes...one fight lasted for 30-odd chapters!

I've also recently got into Eyeshield 21. It's about American Football. Sena being the main character, who has acquired lightning pace from being bullied and chased all of his life! He eventually joins his low level high school football team in aim for friendship, and then turns into a football hero basically! The team builds from there. Many awesome characters, friend and foe. I recommend.

FLCL for sure is good, but I prefer the anime personally- wasnt the anime out before the manga in this case?

And I agree with MattAY on the regulars -Naruto, Bleach, and I dont read it but One Piece.-

And I think I did say something about it on the manga discussion thread. I posted something about it because I was having so much fun reading it. It starts with a bit of story, but there are lots of fights, and the fights dont stop coming or getting any less intense.

Ahh, FLCL, that show was my Catcher in the Rye before I actually read The Catcher in the Rye.
The manga was good too, it took the story in a more bleak direction, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
I also second Battle Royale, whether it be the book, manga, or film.

Evvvvvvery topic turns to manga eventually. I blame Mattay.

Kingg5, I'm assuming you refer to Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, and yes it is damn good.

used44 said:
Evvvvvvery topic turns to manga eventually. I blame Mattay.

Kingg5, I'm assuming you refer to Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, and yes it is damn good.
It isn't a comic right? Cuz if so where I live i'm screwed

It's an illustrated Batman story. If you want to call it a Graphic Novel to make yourself feel like less of a nerd, then be my guest.

You all love the manga really. Used...you like Football right? Read Eyeshield 21. It's good, I will convert you!

used44 said:
It's an illustrated Batman story. If you want to call it a Graphic Novel to make yourself feel like less of a nerd, then be my guest.
Would I be able to find it at my local book store

kingg5 said:
used44 said:
Would I be able to find it at my local book store

I got my AA at a Borders express...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle