The Dreaming Void & other sci-fi novels

GRColin

Rookie
Anyone here ever read the Dreaming Void?

http://www.amazon.com/Dreaming-Void-Tri ... pd_sim_b_1

No?

Losers.

Just kidding. If any of you have is it any good? I'm looking for a good sci-fi novel to check out that will remind me of Mass Effect. 1. Not 2 or 3. Or Deus Ex. Or Blade Runner. You get the idea of what I'm looking for...I hope.

I don't read nearly as much as I should...Especially for being a Portlander. I should say someone who lives in Portland. I'm not a bum with a gluten allergy and a bike, therefore I cannot be a Portlander.I want to change that. The reading bit I mean. I don't care for overly descriptive novels.

Eon by Greg Bear is pretty fantastic.

Currently reading Ready Player One by Ermest Cline. Kind of like Da Vinci Code for nerds, but it is extremely light reading.

Read a bit of that on Amazon via a preview. It seemed pretty interesting. Like Willy wonka and the Chocolate Factory meets retro nerdom.

Lethean said:
Yeah I plan on reading that one. I hear BR is nothing like it though.
It's like it... but not. Android Dream is a great novel whether or not you like Blade Runner though. There are so many great PKD short stories and novellas. I have this:
http://www.amazon.com/Philip-K-Dick-Sti ... 00&sr=8-21
and it is fantastic. Eldritch and Ubik alone are worth it, but then you get High Castle and Android Dream... ALL IN ONE BOOK.

Seriously, don't question this. Just buy it and read all four books straight through. Some of the best science fiction money can buy.

I haven't read sci fi in a while. Not entirely sure it's my thing... it often seems like it's trying too hard, to me. The last sci fi things I read were for my Time Travel Lit. class. I kinda liked How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe. It's cute.

I still can't believe my prof made us read The Time Traveler's Wife... God, what a horrible experience. It makes for a really good paper if you want to talk about Bakhtin, though, and his concept of the grotesque.

My science fiction course at uni was like one or two great novels like Parable of the Sower, followed by a shitload of utopian garbage from 1800 years ago... ending in graphic novels like V for Vendetta that was really the only thing that attracted most of the students to the class in the first place. I hated it, but it did get me to finally go with an English major.

There are different levels of sci-fi from dramatic dystopian to outlandish adventure to horrific thrillers. Although most of my knowledge on the genre comes from film, lol

The Day of the Triffids is a book I remember reading for my creative writing course I took at College. I'd recommend it if you're looking for an apocolpyse/alien invasion story.

To be honest, all I'm reading now are my old Calvin and Hobbess books.

Yeah I've never really read much sci-fi and thought if other forms of media focusing on sci-fi can please me perhaps a book can. Only.problem is the sci-fi market seems saturated with over the top, cheesy stories.that are only average in their writing....That and they need better cover artists on half of them. Damn they have some cheesy covers.

Edited because the kindle fire keyboard sucks and makes shitty errors.

I need to read more sci-fi...or at the very least good sci-fi...

Last thing I read was Enders Game...good book, but god I hate Orson Scott Card so much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod