Gaming and Lucid Dreaming

UrbanMasque

Everyone Wears a Mask
So, I've gotten more and more into lucid dreaming, and training my mind to recognize signs and abnormalities in my waking/sleeping state. I've also, been looking for more methods to improve my ability to recognize when I'm dreaming vs. awake - little did I know I had the best training device available.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37342086/ns ... nce-games/

The article basically says there is a ton of crossover between the mind of a lucid dreamer and a gamer - and in her study of gamers vs. non gamers - lucidity is more prevalent in gamers. Also, a very VERY interesting thing she discovered is that gamers will more often report switching from 1st person to 3rd person perspective in their dreams (out of body experiences).... weird.. and another weird discovery was that gamers were less likely to have nightmares ( b/c zombies know not to F*** with us!).

from the article:
In other words, a scary nightmare scenario turned into something "fun" for a gamer.

read and discuss.

This is pretty cool. I would like to find her study and read it.[/quote]

My only nightmares nowadays are based on real life situations. A few weeks ago I had one where I got my first speeding ticket, and woke up with the shivers. :p

It's funny, because I feel like I haven't had a real nightmare in over six years...by that waking up randomly in a cold sweat, terrible images and what not.

From that too, when I do have weird dreams, I feel kind of meh about them, like I adapt to the situations at hand.

One example was a Zombie dream, where me, The Michilin Man, a girl from Gamestop, and David Hayter (who voices Solid Snake) were in the Gamestop playing Super Smash Bros. Melee and doing food raids in the nearby food court.

Strange I guess, but hey, who knows. I didn't think it was unusual.

I had a mental breakdown were I believed I was in a Final Fantasy game, god good ol times on playstation one.

UrbanMasque said:
for a week straight after I bought Dragon Age I had medieval themed dreams.

This. And thanks to Red Dead sometimes I dream I'm in the old West. Don't even ask me what's going on when I'm on a Call of Duty spin either. Crazy-ass dreams, especially because I used to play in third person, then switched to first person hardcore.

The last nightmare i had involved some random creature with LEDs for a face a couple nights ago.

In general though i don't really have nightmares. My nightmares about zombies have become dreams these days.

maybe you all take games too srsly. the one time I had a dream about a video game is when I thought I was trapped in the Dunwich Building and spend the majority of my night fighting off feral ghouls.

keepithowitis said:
maybe you all take games too srsly. the one time I had a dream about a video game is when I thought I was trapped in the Dunwich Building and spend the majority of my night fighting off feral ghouls.
God I hated that place, especially at level 24

Basically, we ARE the gaming Generation. So the effects that games have on our bodies won't be REALLY known until later on in life. Hopefully, the effects are good like better reaction time and lower chance of Alzheimers - and not anything like, "gamers are more prone to seizures during their golden years"

Thanks to gaming I can problem solve better than a normal person. Of course, sometimes when presented with a locked gate I try to find some crates or something so I can simply platform over it. Then I remember there's a key in my pocket...

UrbanMasque said:
Also, a very VERY interesting thing she discovered is that gamers will more often report switching from 1st person to 3rd person perspective in their dreams (out of body experiences).... weird.

I experience this all the time in my dreams. When I try to remember what happened right after I wake up, it's like I am remembering a movie where I was the main character.

kingg5 said:
keepithowitis said:
God I hated that place, especially at level 24

I havent played that game in so long and I immediately knew what you were talking about. That place scared me for so long.

But the effect gaming has on me, is that I daydream in third person with a rotating camera, and that I can make obscure references.

i had a dream i was being chased by zombies and i was trapped in my room. As their arms came smashing through the door a select screen came up...

What do you want to do?
A) Fight the zombies
B) Jump out your bedroom window.

i chose B, and landed in the bushes, then I woke up 8)

I just had a dream that was really cool. It almost turned into a nightmare, but then it turned around, just like Urban said. Here's what I just wrote in my journal.

I got out of bed at 3:30 AM to write this. I just had a dream, between the space of two hours, that was very interesting. I woke up for a few moments at 1:57, and when I fell asleep again, it immediately commenced. It went as follows:

I met a strange girl here on Earth. She had long brown hair, wore a pink shirt, and her mouth was loosely open at all times. After seeing her, I found out that I had agreed to take part in a space program, along with the entire academy of information technology from tech school this past school year, to go and visit a parallel planet. We were all excited, because we expected that our parallel counterparts would be just like us. Well, we were wrong.

The next thing I knew, our space ship had crashed or something, because I was alone in a cramped space, water dripping from the ceiling with a lone window on a door on my side of the room, and being attacked by little white plastic robots, with no faces, round bodies, and shocking suction cups for hands. Instead of cowering and accepting this dream as a nightmare, I defeated them without much trouble, and then looked through the window to see the deaf girl in a pink shirt just outside, in the rain. I let her in and tried asking her where I was and what was going on, but then I realized she was deaf. She tried explaining something to me in sign language, which I couldn't understand. So she had me go with her to a house that looked like mine before we had gotten rid of the pool table in the basement, and my parallel self wasn't living there, nor my parallel family, so I decided it must be her house.

I was relieved to see that some of the people I had journeyed here with were at this house, alive, including some of the instructors from tech. I overheard them talking about what was happening. They said that we had been mislead, and everyone on this planet was colorblind and deaf. At first I didn't believe them, so I tried talking to pink shirt girl's parents. Surely enough, they couldn't understand what I was saying, and I noticed they were wearing grayscale clothes. I started to get depressed at this moment, and wanted to go home.

I then was chosen to be the driver of a bus filled with everyone from the girl's house. The instructors had contacted each other, and said we were all meeting at a large clothing store to regroup. I remember that, for some reason, my little sister was in the passenger seat on the bus (which isn't normal). I was trying to pull into the parking lot, but some of our deaf counterparts were walking, congesting the road. So I decided to have a little fun, and honked the horn continuously. They didn't even notice, of course, and my sister was next to me, laughing at my antics. We finally parked and everyone got off, then as we were all walking towards the entrance to the building, our instructors were trying to explain a few things to use. Apparently, we had all been assigned our own vehicles, and our job was to explore this strange planet, and try to show these people, including our own counterparts, how we do things on Earth.

We entered the building and everyone just stood there. It was a spacious building, and obviously a clothing store. There were a couple stairs down to a dance floor of some sort, but nobody was too interested. The instructors started to get mad, because nobody was even trying to connect with our counterparts, but then I bravely started walking around, strutting my way through all of the merchandise, and everyone followed, and some rave music started to play as the lights got funky. Everyone started dancing and finding their counterparts to start shopping with. I never found mine, but I was content walking around, seeing all of my friends who found theirs. Everyone was happy, especially everyone from Earth. Nothing was what we had expected, but as we realized that none of the cool clothes in the store had price tags and some of them were in color, we started to suspect that we were going to have an awesome time on this planet. I picked out a few shirts and continued to strut around until I came onto the dance floor, where most people were starting to gather. Even though our counterparts were deaf, they really enjoyed dancing with everyone, and I suspect that the heavy vibrations coming from the speakers was their form of music. I moved towards the center of the floor, which had a raised platform where the DJ sat, and I used one of the spotlights to look around at everyone. I saw my older brother's counterpart, who recognized me and waved at me. I smiled and started looking for my own counterpart, but then, I woke up.

How cool was that? Teenagers bravely go where no one has gone before, nothing's what they expected it to be, but still they find common ground with their deaf and colorblind counterparts and end up making the best of an interplanetary journey gone wrong. I shall begin making a storyboard for the movie.

I think the deaf girl was your counterpart...

Crazy dream, bro. I've always had vivid, lucid dreams. It's cool, but sometimes I don't feel very rested.

white-noise said:
i had a dream i was being chased by zombies and i was trapped in my room. As their arms came smashing through the door a select screen came up...

What do you want to do?
A) Fight the zombies
B) Jump out your bedroom window.

i chose B, and landed in the bushes, then I woke up 8)

LOL, sounds like Resident Evil 3.

I had a a dream I was trapped in Silent Hill. The streets were foggy and I could hear static coming from my radio. Then Mario and Luigi popped out of nowhere.

Mario said "don't worry, I'm-a gonna get you outta here!" Then Pyramid Head impaled his him.

Luigi yelled "YOU KILLED MY BROOOOOOOTHER!"

Then the Mortal Kombat song started and Luigi and Pyramid Head battled in MK fashion. Luigi won and finished PH off with a fireball attack that set him on fire.

Yeah... I don't know if I had control over it all but it was definitely a WTF moment when I woke up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle