Official GR Anti-Jobzone Topic

You know what job I think would be terrible it would have to be a truck driver i could not sit behind the wheel for hours on end with no entertainment except the occasional bar

My thoughts, for what they are worth. Student loans shouldn't be insurmountable. I worked and weighed what college to go to based on how much I could work, how much my scholarships would pay and my rough estimate on what future jobs would pay. The only reason I have any student debt is because I had a kid my last year and used loans to keep us afloat when my wife left work to raise our son. My loans are not ridiculous because I planned and worked hard to keep them that way.

When it comes to work, I figure that I have 112 waking hours in my week. That's a lot of hours. If I work 40 hours week and spend 3 or so hours commuting to and from, that still leaves me with 69 hours to fill. I figure that the first 40 hours should finance whatever I want to fill the remaining hours with. Or in other words, my job needs to pay for all the necessary needs that my life and the lives of my dependents require.

And I'm all for you living your dreams. Here's the real challenge to living your dreams though. There is always a price and a sacrifice. Dreams don't always pay for themselves so you're going to have to sacrifice either your comfort, free time, luxuries, relationships, etc. something because nothing is free. You have to find the balance. Also, you're young still and rent is probably cheap or maybe free. Take advantage of the opportunity but don't expect others to float you. There is a big difference between living your dream and making others pay so you can live it.

I agree with your quote though a smart worker earns money in his sleep. I save my money and invest it. I've invested a lot of time into learning how and now I make more than my money would sitting in a savings account.

It's great to have dreams and aspirations and goals and it's great to hear a story about someone who attained their dream through grit and determination and all that good stuff, but... the cold harsh truth is that it's simply not possible for everyone to live their dream. The world would not work without the worker bees to keep things working.

There are only a small number of premium jobs out there and a whole lot of people trying to get them. And sometimes they go to not the most qualified, but the best connected.

Starting your own business is a dream of a lot of people. Some are lucky and are able to be successful at it, Some flat out fail at it, and there are a bunch who are barely grinding out a living with it, not much better off than if they were working for someone else.

So while it is good to dream big, it is also good to keep some of your expectations grounded in reality and to have a backup plan in case things don't pan out the way you had hoped they would.

In other words, lock down that 9 to 5 first, so you can pay your bills, then go chase your dream job.

C_nate said:
It's great to have dreams and aspirations and goals and it's great to hear a story about someone who attained their dream through grit and determination and all that good stuff, but... the cold harsh truth is that it's simply not possible for everyone to live their dream. The world would not work without the worker bees to keep things working.

There are only a small number of premium jobs out there and a whole lot of people trying to get them. And sometimes they go to not the most qualified, but the best connected.

Starting your own business is a dream of a lot of people. Some are lucky and are able to be successful at it, Some flat out fail at it, and there are a bunch who are barely grinding out a living with it, not much better off than if they were working for someone else.

So while it is good to dream big, it is also good to keep some of your expectations grounded in reality and to have a backup plan in case things don't pan out the way you had hoped they would.

In other words, lock down that 9 to 5 first, so you can pay your bills, then go chase your dream job.

It sucks - but it's true.

Bretimus_v2 said:
Dreams don't always pay for themselves so you're going to have to sacrifice either your comfort, free time, luxuries, relationships, etc. something because nothing is free. You have to find the balance. Also, you're young still and rent is probably cheap or maybe free. Take advantage of the opportunity but don't expect others to float you. There is a big difference between living your dream and making others pay so you can live it.
C_nate said:

Two Truths.

Bretimus_v2 said:
I agree with your quote though a smart worker earns money in his sleep. I save my money and invest it. I've invested a lot of time into learning how and now I make more than my money would sitting in a savings account.

Where did you learn?

Just read everything you can about investing. The sooner you start the sooner you can get in on the power of compounding interest.

I learned through just reading. Depending on your level of interest an the amount of work you want to put into it, everything from just learning to better budget wit guys like Rich Dad Poor Dad or start learning about stock and option investing. My biggest thing is take it all with a grain of salt. Make it manageable. Too many people think investing is a magic money bag or gambling. Too many people jump head first too. Look online for some free sites to get the basics of risk managing, how to heck the fundamentals and charts.

I agree very much that there are issues with the need for a job in order to sustain a 'good' life here in the States. I also believe that it's very difficult to make it on your own without first having helped someone else make it. As unfair as it is, connections are often the difference between the failure and success of an entrepreneurial business, or even a career nowadays. Heck, getting into college depends on connections sometimes. Getting playing time on a baseball team is easy if your dad's the coach.

But there's also something to be said for the stock trading and investing discussed earlier. If money's what you're after to make you happy, it seems like playing the market isn't a bad way to get there. But it requires intuition. So does starting your own business. A successful business often, I find (not that I have any experience), relies on intuition just the same. If you're trying to make yourself known in a market, you have to know your competitors--what they do well, what they're lacking, what approach they're taking in their business model and how you can do it better. It helps to assess your target demographic, know what they want from your business--this also requires intuition.

I'm kind of talking out of my ass because I don't own a business, or have plans to start one. But taking from what I've noticed about the U.S. college system it seems to translate well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod