Official GR Anti-Jobzone Topic

De-Ting

Rookie
Work sucks, especially when you don't enjoy it.

A successful guy by the name of Steve Pavlina puts it this way:
Why is getting a job so dumb? Because you only get paid when you’re working. Don’t you see a problem with that, or have you been so thoroughly brainwashed into thinking it’s reasonable and intelligent to only earn income when you’re working? Have you never considered that it might be better to be paid even when you’re not working?
I'm gonna vent a little now. See, everyone I know expects me to do exactly as they do, like there's no chance of variation or individuality. To them, everybody is the same. Everybody has to work, work, work. It's the "adult life." You don't have any other options.

The problem is my entire life has been geared toward self-employment. I have never been "just like everybody else," and there's no possible way I can achieve such a deadbeat goal now. I'm 22 years old, and it's time I capitalize on being different.

A relative of mine used the terms pipe-dream and cop-out to describe my aspirations of doing only what I want to do. Well, since then, I've had an increased desire to keep pursuing the dream. It turns out wanting to prove everyone wrong has some weight to it. So in a way I'm grateful for the constant nay-saying and discouragement disguised as advice. It gives me some ammo for later.

Is anyone else in a similar predicament? Or, if you're pro-job, feel free to tell us all why. It might be a funny read.

I've always felt that being as self sufficient as possible and working for yourself is the key for happiness.

But on the other hand the job I have now been for years has become "easy" income. I don't particularly enjoy it and even hate it at times, but quitting would mean an end to the easy income times and no worry times.

It's hard to just call quits if you don't have a clear plan on your mind. Getting fired could be an awakening and a blessing at the same time. Motivating to achieve the lifestyle I actually desire.

Long story short, whether you're learning a skill, gaining knowledge about an industry or making connections, if you want to make money on your own - you have to be prepared to make money for someone else first.

While I need money to live, I find it hard to spend the grey matter working for a company that I didn't feel interested in contributing to. Its really hard for me to spend time "working" to further someone elses interests while being underpaid, especially since (whether you realize or not) contentedness in your job contributes to your overall level of happiness. A poor job exp will definitely sap the vibe form the rest of your life - but not everyone has this privilege.

I'm definitely, anti-job or capitalist model of labor anyway - but long story short, if entrepreneurship suits you. go for it dude,

Don't know if that answers your question , but definitely use your job to suit your needs.

Let me preface this by saying, this should be a general rule of life based on what I've observed and if you have the stomach for it go for your dreams man, but you will struggle - with the payoff being fulfillment..

It's cool to do your own thing at all, but that more than likely means you won't be able to make a decent living doing it. And what's the point of only doing your own thing if it doesn't help you pay the bills?

Hey De-Ting, I reckon this is a good topic.

I would love to be self-employed. Doing what I love to do on my terms. I don't want to be super rich or anything, I just want to make enough money to live comfortably and to do what I love doing and that's drawing.

What I would truly love to do, as unrealistic as it sounds, is make a living through the Internet via YouTube and my own "proper" website. I'd love to do animations of video game parodies, and I'd love to try and design and sell video game related merchandise, parody and satire of course and I'd love to do cartoons and web comics. Draw for a living basically.

Of course, such a dream is considered by many to be "unrealistic" and "dangerous", which I am inclined to a degree, sort of at least. I suppose I can say I understand why people would say this.

I've been working for the past three years in a full time job after I graduated university/college and... it's been bumpy. There are times when I enjoy the time, there are times when I don't. It's like any job really. Unfortunately, it's in a sense... an "easy income", it's a "safety net", one which I don't really want to leave because well... let's say I did leave my job to pursue my dream, if my dream is unsuccessful, then I can't return to my old job, my old source of "easy income".

My dream could be successful, but it could be a big struggle and be really hard financially... and while people often say "nothing worth having comes easy", I fear that it might just be too hard and I could give up, you know? Plus I think a lot of people - family, friends etc. would tell me my goal is unrealistic and that I should just stick to my job.

I'm also having a few problems with my job but... I won't discuss that here.

Move to a cheap city with a decent population center and sell food. Like fancy waffles and tacos.

because I'm hungry.

I think about how much I want Deez's chicken wings like twice a week. I'd visit that food truck.

I personally think were lucky to live in a time where we can pretty much study what we want and then go on to get a job we actually enjoy using whatever qualifications necessary. Our parents and grandparents would wince at the moany bitches of our generation.

I'm a designer and I love what I do, so I enjoy work.
Try that.

But our grandparents would also wince if they knew just how large of student loan debt our generation takes on just to be able to study and get a job. A job that on average you wont find until after you have graduated and moved back into your parents house for a whole year! During that time you will probably work a part time service job just to get by.

This is here in the U.S. I have no idea what it's like in your country Mattay.

Green_Lantern said:
Yeah I paid off my school loans in less than a year...it can be done if you're not stupid about it.
BRTky.jpg

I went to community college for two years and then went to a cheap public school and emerged with no debt.

But I also got a useless degree, so here's hoping I can get a fellowship grant for my PhD.

Master_Craig said:
Hey De-Ting, I reckon this is a good topic.

I would love to be self-employed. Doing what I love to do on my terms. I don't want to be super rich or anything, I just want to make enough money to live comfortably and to do what I love doing and that's drawing.

What I would truly love to do, as unrealistic as it sounds, is make a living through the Internet via YouTube and my own "proper" website. I'd love to do animations of video game parodies, and I'd love to try and design and sell video game related merchandise, parody and satire of course and I'd love to do cartoons and web comics. Draw for a living basically.

Etsy

Sourdeez said:

will+consequences+ever+be+the+same+_f4206fbc5feafce6c5be9a17480ced78.jpg

MattAY said:
I personally think were lucky to live in a time where we can pretty much study what we want and then go on to get a job we actually enjoy using whatever qualifications necessary. Our parents and grandparents would wince at the moany bitches of our generation.

I'm a designer and I love what I do, so I enjoy work.
Try that.

Didn't know you were a designer MattAY, that's really cool. I'd love to see some of your work sometime.

Sourdeez said:
But our grandparents would also wince if they knew just how large of student loan debt our generation takes on just to be able to study and get a job. A job that on average you wont find until after you have graduated and moved back into your parents house for a whole year! During that time you will probably work a part time service job just to get by.

This is here in the U.S. I have no idea what it's like in your country Mattay.

I've heard it's pretty tough like that in the U.S. Sourdeez. Sorry to hear about that. Dunno about you guys but here in Australia we've got HECS (which I forget what that stands for) which basically pays off your university fees, but of course after graduation you'll get HECS fees, having to pay them off over a period of time. I guess it's similar to the U.S. to a degree but not nearly as rough from what I've heard?

Green_Lantern said:
Yeah I paid off my school loans in less than a year...it can be done if you're not stupid about it.

Good on you man. I hope it wasn't too hard for you?

UrbanMasque said:

I'll have to check that out! Thanks. :)

Longo_2_guns said:
I went to community college for two years and then went to a cheap public school and emerged with no debt.

But I also got a useless degree, so here's hoping I can get a fellowship grant for my PhD.

I went to a community college. Was there for five years and I came out with two Bachelor degrees, which helped me land my job. There's nothing wrong with going to a "community college". It's a hell of a lot cheaper and when I was younger, my family couldn't have afforded to send me to one of the bigger, fancier universities interstate... to be fair though, my high school final grades weren't that great so I probably wouldn't have been able to go anyway. :p

Ever seen that TV show Community? That show reminds me of the university I went to, ha ha.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod