Comic Book Reading Club - PLANET HULK

Want to read through all of the cosmic Marvel events of the past 10 years with me?

I'm only up to Annihilation: Conquest so far.

I'm down with anything really. I've gotten behind on a lot of comic reading, so I got Unlimited to catch up. I was for sure going to hit up the cosmic side as well Captian Marvel, Inhumans and such.

Yes. Pick a thing, Paradox, and I'll read along. Preferably something short-ish. 12 issues or less.

Here's some I picked to choose from: Age of Ultron, Annihilation, Planet Hulk, Astonishing X-Men, Captain Marvel, and Seige, I haven't read any of those yet. A subscription to Marvel Unlimited would be invaluable to anyone who wants to read along. I'm also open to other suggestions if none of the above suffice.

I need to re-read Planet Hulk since it's been like four years, so I am down for that since I've read... all the others.

Ok that'll work. Planet Hulk is comprised of Incredible Hulk issues 92 through 105 plus an issue of Giant-Size Hulk. We'll see if anyone else wants to join in and then get started.

Ok, figure we can read over the weekend and discuss on Monday. Should we just read half and compare thoughts or would it be better to burn through the whole thing?

I read through the first four issues (named "Exile") and that seemed like a good place to stop.

I'll post some thoughts tomorrow

I was a little apprehensive about reading this at first. I haven't read a lot of stuff before that had Hulk as the primary character. I was afraid it would be a bunch of panels of Hulk smashing while also stating he was doing so. But I like how he's evolving as a character in this. Throughout Exiles, he's moved on from selfish brute to part of a team.

Now they're moving more from the arena to an open world setting. I was surprised, but happy, to see Silver Surfer. I have a feeling that Miek, the little bug with a heart of gold, will be sacraficed for the story at some point down the road.

I've also taken notice of all the pretty colors and artwork

I like where it's going so far. The story's starting to open up more and I'm curious to see where it goes.

The art in this book is good. A lot of the time when I buy digital copies I am disappointed by the sloppiness of small details. But usually in the first four here they look good.

The Hulk is kind of a dick. But as you listen to his view on humans and reflect on how he even got on this planet, it kind of makes sense. Still this feels a little too Marvel Gladiator.

Bretimus_v2 said:
The Hulk is kind of a dick. But as you listen to his view on humans and reflect on how he even got on this planet, it kind of makes sense.

Agreed. I went back and read the Illuminati one-shot that included the decision to send Hulk away and the few issues preceding the Planet Hulk storyline that had SHIELD using trickery and treachery to get Banner/Hulk to do thier bidding.

Paradox said:
I was a little apprehensive about reading this at first. I haven't read a lot of stuff before that had Hulk as the primary character. I was afraid it would be a bunch of panels of Hulk smashing while also stating he was doing so. But I like how he's evolving as a character in this.

There is quite a lot of action though! At least a lot compared to the quieter, non-hero books I've been reading lately. It's fitting for a Hulk book to be heavy on action and it is storyboarded and drawn expertly. Very detailed art like this is one of my favorite styles. Some of the long shots and backgrounds remind me of Bill Watterson's Sunday panels, especially Spaceman Spiff obviously.

The lettering is also great. I totally get Miek's voice just from that font and the *kik* sounds.

Ok, I really got into the story so i just kept on reading and now I finished it. I won't discuss it until I know we're all done, but I will say that I really enjoyed it and I'm pumped to read World War Hulk, even if we don't do it as a group.

I've been reading Injustice: Gods Among Us, currently up to the latest comic of Year 3. It's a great story, but I just wonder how much of it can drag on before they reach the events of the game (I thought they did that at the end of Year 1).

Master_Craig said:
I've been reading Injustice: Gods Among Us, curre--

THIS IS FOR MARVEL DISCUSSION, GTFO!!!

j/k

There's so many DC stories I need to catch up on too. Does DC have their own equivalent to Marvel Unlimited?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VoHoYo