Most overrated game

While I do hate saying overrated, due to most people calling everything they don't like or isn't for them overrated, there actually have been quite a few games that are given much, much higher scores by the mainstream press than they deserve. A lot of weak sequels with some heavy, glaring flaws are given 10/10's and called innovative and revolutionary.

Some of them are right on the money, though, so it's a mixed bag.

The three most overrated games ever IMO

1: Earthbound
2: Shadow of the Colossus
3: Halo: Combat Evolved

There are some others I think are overrated but those three in particular strike me as being especially overrated.

Final Fantasy VII. There I said it. It's a great RPG, don't get me wrong. However, I don't know about the "Greatest RPG of All Time" as a lot of people claim.

Ocarina of time.

I played windwaker, i played twilight princess, i enjoyed them both greatly. Yet everyone won't shut up about ocarina of time and all the "Beauty" it holds. They even went as far as comparing games today to that old 14 years or so game. So 3 years ago, i finally played it... half-way. Fell asleep a little after the deku tree scene and decided to switch game when i entered the first city after the open field part. The whole game is just a huge scripted mess where i felt more like i was stuck in a linear path then being a kid on an epic adventure. Graphic wise it freaked me out to know that even though star fox and mario came before that game and still look great today, Ocarina of time was just some paper paint plastered everywhere and then they added some square 3d objects we call "people".

You do know there were other games just like ocarina of time that year right? Games with more depth in story or gameplay? Nope you don't care. Ocarina of time has been voted best game of all time by more then 20 video game sites who will plug their ears every time they hear a critic and will glee every time they will hear 5 high pitch flute sounds they've already set it up on their phone.

So before you all gonna yell that I should of been there and Ocarina of time stood out above all the games that year, I want you to just listen to a brief list of PC games that came out the SAME year as ocarina of time: Baldur's gate, Grim fandango, Half-life, Starcraft, Unreal, System shock, Fallout 2, Alpha centauri and Everquest.
...Why people think Ocarina of time is so great? In my opinion, probably cause Console users of the time didn't own PCs and they knew the time of the nintendo 64 was coming to a close. So they stick with what they had and now they are still wearing the same rose tinted glasses they refuse to remove to this day like the fanboys they were back then.

Tl;DR Ocarina of time is overrated, go play grim fandango already!

Yeah i find myself generally unimpressed by ocarina of time as well. It's well made and certainly not bad but 2 or 3 times in my life I've sat down thinking 'okay this time i will finally beat this game' but always stop a few hours in and go start something else.

I'm due to actually finish it one day. It's on my to play list because it's certainly playable but i don't get what the big hulking deal is at all.

This is tough. I have a hard time pinning the answer on an old game that simply didn't age well (see FF7) as I find easier to criticize and sometimes the nostalgia just doesn't take hold. Especially when the story/graphics seems mindblowing at the time (particularly if you were much younger) and now the story seems watered down and the graphics horrible.

I want to say Bioshock 2. I just couldn't get into it. I LOVED Bioshock. It was one of the most amazing games of this gen. I wanted more and Bioshock 2 just didn't deliver IMO, despite it's comparable reviews to Bioshock 1. The story wasn't as compelling and the retro 1960's, underwater utopia wasn't new and cool to me anymore. That said, I anticipate Bioshock Infinite is going to deliver in the same way Bioshock did when it first came out.

cyberjim2000 said:
Final Fantasy VII. There I said it. It's a great RPG, don't get me wrong. However, I don't know about the "Greatest RPG of All Time" as a lot of people claim.

I agree, all my friends growing up loved VII, I myself was a bigger fan of 9. In fact 8-10 I realy liked, but 7 not so much
Anything before 8 and I just cant seem to relate to. Anything after 10 was final fantasy having a brain aneurysm while finding there wallets slowly emptying.

As for bioshock 2 it makes sense, it was done by a different Dev if I remember correctly.

The_Joker said:

couldn't disagree with you more, I thought Earthbound was amazing in the way it was so quirky, I mean yes, now it's a hipster go to game because it's so quirky, but as a kid it was one of the finest games I've ever played

And skyrim needs to be the front runner on this list, it was good sure, but not anywhere near the levels it's being praised for

The N64 and PS1 is a generation of gaming that made huge leaps forward. People talk about Ocarina of Time, FF7 and MGS as some of the best games ever made but that's only because they're some of the best games from one of the best eras of gaming.

Games began to have a rating system and we were introduced to a darker side of gaming as well. As corny as Resident Evil seems today, it was scary in 1996 and you would not see a game like that during the SNES/Genesis era.

Sega tried to release Mature titles like Night Trap but that game was banned. It's hilarious to think that a game like Night Trap was banned while Dead Space, God of War, and so many other titles are far more disturbing than that one. Also, Night Trap was a really really bad game. The only reason anyone remembers it is because it was banned.

Sega was trying to turn games into movies with the Sega CD. The Full Motion Video technology was there, but there was no emphasis on the game-play and consoles like 3DO and Neo Geo were trying too hard to dazzle gamers. Their movie cut-scenes were pre-recorded video files (rather than sprites, vectors, or 3D models that we improved upon later with CGI). They were cool for the time but you never felt like you were playing a game.

Sony changed all that. They released the PS1 and knew how to take the FMV technology that Sega and the underdogs were struggling with and make a decent game out of it (Resident Evil). Sony had the the right third party developers who knew how to make a game feel like a movie AND make it a lot of fun to play.

Pretty soon after PS1 made its mark, the N64 hit the shelves and completely blew what we thought we knew about FMV out of the water. The 3D game play the N64 delivered was awesome and Sony dropped the whole FMV cut scenes and began working with CGI. (Hence why Capcom would remake Resident Evil in the next gen on Gamecube)

IMO it's the best generation of gaming and depending on how old you were during that era you might agree too. The nostalgia behind Ocarina of Time still gives me goosebumps.

The only problem is the love for Ocarina of Time, FF7 and MGS can overshadow what came afterwards. Which is too bad since it opened the doors for many excellent sequels that were just as good, some would even say better.

Lien said:
Ocarina of time.

I played windwaker, i played twilight princess, i enjoyed them both greatly. Yet everyone won't shut up about ocarina of time and all the "Beauty" it holds. They even went as far as comparing games today to that old 14 years or so game. So 3 years ago, i finally played it... half-way. Fell asleep a little after the deku tree scene and decided to switch game when i entered the first city after the open field part. The whole game is just a huge scripted mess where i felt more like i was stuck in a linear path then being a kid on an epic adventure. Graphic wise it freaked me out to know that even though star fox and mario came before that game and still look great today, Ocarina of time was just some paper paint plastered everywhere and then they added some square 3d objects we call "people".

You do know there were other games just like ocarina of time that year right? Games with more depth in story or gameplay? Nope you don't care. Ocarina of time has been voted best game of all time by more then 20 video game sites who will plug their ears every time they hear a critic and will glee every time they will hear 5 high pitch flute sounds they've already set it up on their phone.

So before you all gonna yell that I should of been there and Ocarina of time stood out above all the games that year, I want you to just listen to a brief list of PC games that came out the SAME year as ocarina of time: Baldur's gate, Grim fandango, Half-life, Starcraft, Unreal, System shock, Fallout 2, Alpha centauri and Everquest.
...Why people think Ocarina of time is so great? In my opinion, probably cause Console users of the time didn't own PCs and they knew the time of the nintendo 64 was coming to a close. So they stick with what they had and now they are still wearing the same rose tinted glasses they refuse to remove to this day like the fanboys they were back then.

Tl;DR Ocarina of time is overrated, go play grim fandango already!

No.

And honestly, out of the PC games you listed, Only two of them are really standing the test of time in retrospect as much as OOT is and thats Half-Life, and Starcraft. How many people did play Baldurs Gate, or Grim Fandango, or the first Unreal?

How many remember them? I mean, I liked them too when I played them, (except Unreal which I thought was a piece of crap, and Baldurs Gate which is severely overrated) but there is a reason why OOT is always listed as one of the best games ever made; its just memorable for the time period it was in.

System is irrelevant in this case, its just a timeless story telling trope of a mythic hero. Basically, Link is the video game equivalent of Heracles, he is a mythical hero that has numerous interpretations, adaptations, and stories pertaining to him, making Link, and OOT, essentially timeless. THAT is why its so memorable, because OOT is the first game to really push that forward as an idea.

:p

Icepick said:
The_Joker said:

couldn't disagree with you more, I thought Earthbound was amazing in the way it was so quirky, I mean yes, now it's a hipster go to game because it's so quirky, but as a kid it was one of the finest games I've ever played

And skyrim needs to be the front runner on this list, it was good sure, but not anywhere near the levels it's being praised for
Agree with Icepick on this one. Earthbound is not overrated if you're praising it for the right reasons. If you're just one of the flannel wearing flock, then it's overrated.

I will give Earthbound credit for being one of the first games ever with a genuine sense of humor, and I understand the game was essentially mocking the RPG genre which, at the time, was dominating the video game scene. It was basically an RPG satire.

I don't completely hate the game either, it had some positives and I consider it playable.

Unfortunately, the gameplay is just really bad IMO. The gameplay feels like a game that came out in the mid 80s, so I find I just can't get into it. Ultimately, even in an RPG, you have to give me something gameplay wise to carry my attention, and EB just couldn't do that. It's just too...old, even by the standards of when it came out.

I will say, however, I never beat it. I got 20 hours in with every intention to beat it but then my save disappeared.

LinksOcarina said:
And honestly, out of the PC games you listed, Only two of them are really standing the test of time in retrospect as much as OOT is and thats Half-Life, and Starcraft. How many people did play Baldurs Gate, or Grim Fandango, or the first Unreal?
That's... a bad counter argument here. So popularity is what make a game good and survive the test of time? Cause people don't play that game it's not worth a moment to reflect what it did to the game community? I understand remembering the conventions centered around the game... at the time. I mean i recall mostly the long waiting lines of boba fett impersonators to see star wars episode 1 more then the freaking turd of a film it turned out to be! But will i thank episode 1 for making new friends that night? NO! i'll thank the people who came to the movies that day. Certainly not lucas...

LinksOcarina said:
How many remember them? I mean, I liked them too when I played them, (except Unreal which I thought was a piece of crap, and Baldurs Gate which is severely overrated) but there is a reason why OOT is always listed as one of the best games ever made; its just memorable for the time period it was in.
And you failed what i was pointing it out in that list. There were other games that same years, other genre changing games, games that pushed the boundaries of what you can call a game. To the many or few people who played the games on that list, they were shown that the technology was changing all around us. New interface systems, the internet, new graphic requirement, more rendering, more realistic shadows, a more story driven adventures, open world, exploration as a reward not as the main feature, taboo society subjects brought in games either as parody or as a main subject and last but certainly not least, the unreal engine. We can now create and play as any person we wanted, create a society that reflects our ideas in any settings or time. Can you imagine how many people were inspired to... make games? To this day, it's impossible to say a number. Heck, i didn't even play Unreal and i can understand why you'd call it horrible, but i can tell you the impact it did to game making.

And all of that wasn't in 2007 nor 2010, just the year 1998... and merely the PC world. And it even pales in comparison to the year after, 1999. I had so many friends who just drop the Nintendo 64 that year and moved on to the other platforms. Heck i eventually joined them and to this day we are all raising our eyebrows on this weird fandom to the people who cringed their 64 to their last breath. It had great games, some that must be encase in glass boxes for the rest of the world to see for eternity, sure why not! But worth ignoring everything else that happened during those years and automatically rate it better then anything else? That's a big no.

LinksOcarina said:
System is irrelevant in this case, its just a timeless story telling trope of a mythic hero. Basically, Link is the video game equivalent of Heracles, he is a mythical hero that has numerous interpretations, adaptations, and stories pertaining to him, making Link, and OOT, essentially timeless. THAT is why its so memorable, because OOT is the first game to really push that forward as an idea.
Ahhh... typical fanboy response... that's when i say " I rest my case and your glasses really show that rose taint" but i won't, I'll charge in.
I saw that extra credit episode on the "hero's journey". In it it featured a book called "the hero with a thousand face". Go to the library and pick it up. Go ahead, it's free.
The book explains this routine in story telling about how the protagonist in nearly every story follows a similar path. I won't make the list here and compare it to Zelda but suffice to say, Ocarina of time wasn't the first. Not by a long shot, not even in the video game world. In fact, the best way to actually enjoys games (or anything in general) is to point out the flaws in the story and even show why the game itself would alienate other people back then or today. I'll cite skyrim as an example. People hated it, will hate it if they haven't played the darn game and will call it overrated. Things is though, is that i understand why they would do that. Either they will remember it for the rest of time or not, i don't care cause i own the game and I'm still playing it. And if in the future I'll get bored, there's nothing stopping me from playing it again be it tomorrow or ten years from now (queue the DRM joke). I'll make sure however, that i will never call it perfect or flawless or tell people "You had to be there". It's crap and it will always be! But it'll b a crap that i enjoy for breakfast from time to time.

LinksOcarina said:
Ahh yes... the age old "That's just my opinion so no reason to start a fight" face. There a deep feeling in all of us that wants us to take a stand with your beliefs against an overwhelming horde of imaginative evil. It'll never come cause people in general hate conflicts, they just want to be right. So how do you show it? Easy, find a topic that conflicts with your ideas. Make it seem that you are agreeing him with some points but then bash him as the hero you are using his idiotic beliefs against yours. Do they argue back? do their thought bother you? say it was your opinion all along!
...so do everything i did in this post... pretty much... :p
Besides, what do i know about quality game? I still like the original syndicate, i still play World of warcraft and i believe tetris is the best game of all time... i'm such a loser...

I never really cared about the 'revolutionary-ness' of a game, ultimately that effect only lasts for a very brief period of time and eventually the game will have to stand on it's own.

I mean really, when you think about it, OOT is just 3D LTTP, MGS is just MG 3D, and FF7 is just FF6 3D.

Who cares? I love FF7 and MGS even though they're not revolutionary, I love them because I loved playing them. Half-Life was revolutionary, but I don't love it because it was revolutionary, I love it because I loved playing it. But I like the less revolutionary HL2 better because I loved playing it more.

You could argue Earthbound was revolutionary because of it's sense of humor, but I didn't like the game because I didn't like playing it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod