Most overrated game ever/most n00b-loved sucky game

Khaz-Rhoz-Zek said:
JCD said:
Have you played it? If so, name a better FPS that was made before it.
Half-Life, Unreal Tournament, Aliens vs Predator, Quake, etc..

Good games, but they didn't add as much to the FPS genre as Halo did.
BTW: Doom is better than Halo, but that doesn't count. That's like God kicking the f*ck out of an eight year old in a bareknuckle boxing match.

Well I suppose the most obvious thing is that it made FPS' popular. It also brought together brilliant graphics, sound and gameplay. Throw it's blockbuster-beating story onto all of that and you got yourself a damn fine game. Oh and I almost forgot the AI. Excellent.

JCD said:
Well I suppose the most obvious thing is that it made FPS' popular. It also brought together brilliant graphics, sound and gameplay. Throw it's blockbuster-beating story onto all of that and you got yourself a damn fine game. Oh and I almost forgot the AI. Excellent.

FPSes were made popular by Half-Life in 1998, three years before Halo. It also had a deep, engrossing storyline and it boasted strong AI that is easily comparable to anything Halo has to offer, despite the latter having the advantage of time.

JCD said:
BTW: Doom is better than Halo, but that doesn't count. That's like God kicking the f*ck out of an eight year old in a bareknuckle boxing match.

:lol: :lol: Man, I think I'll sig that!

JCD said:

FPS were popular with Wolfenstein 3D, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom 1 & 2, Quake, and Half-Life.

Most new FPS' offer brilliant visuals and sound. I found the AvP sound alot more effective than the halo sound. Added alot more to the atmosphere. Gameplay is always tightened up in many new FPS.

The only thing Halo had that set it apart from a *few* other FPS' was it's story.

So therefore, it's over-rated. Vehicles were around in BF1942. I won't attribute it's visuals and sound to it's overall rating and say it's a God amongst games for those reasons simply because - Graphically it didn't look too much better than high end PC games, if at all, and the sound was great for a FPS, but orchestrated scores and powerful music was seen in the MGS series already.

Again, the story is what grabbed me.

I know FPS' were popular among gamers, but Halo brought these joys to the mainstream population. Look at Halo 2 for example. It took in more money on it's launch day than any other game, movie, music or any other media release has ever done.

Oh and thanks Tyrranis. I've been sigged!

Half-Life 2 was pretty overrated. The game was so linear that it had zero replay value. There were also parts where the game felt like a chore. To me that was just an above average game rather than a great one.

FFVII wasnt all people make it out to be either. When I first played it I had the same feelings when it came to the game's story. They really didnt focus much, it had too much crap going on. I often found myself thinking "Why the hell am I doing this again?". I did play the game like 7 years after its release but I dont think that influenced my feelings on the game much. Well, except for the fact that there is no way in hell I was able to be blown away by those graphics.

Underated? Cant really think of any. I can think of plenty of good games that no one knows about but none of them were underrated. I have a bunch of dreamcast titles in mind like Space Channel 5 and Chu Chu Rocket but those were more underexposed than underated

jedi_guardian said:
JCD said:
Khaz-Rhoz-Zek said:
JCD said:

Halo to FPS is what Seth MacFarlene is to comedy.
Well i'm not a particularly large fan of seth. Halo's storyline was sub-par in my opinion, i really couldn't stand it. It's gameplay is indeed good. However, i feel nothing special for the sound but i don't feel it revoluntionized the genre, that title belongs to goldeneye.

TheNesMan said:
Well i'm not a particularly large fan of seth. Halo's storyline was sub-par in my opinion, i really couldn't stand it. It's gameplay is indeed good. However, i feel nothing special for the sound but i don't feel it revoluntionized the genre, that title belongs to goldeneye.
Agreed

TheNesMan said:
jedi_guardian said:
JCD said:
Khaz-Rhoz-Zek said:
JCD said:

Halo to FPS is what Seth MacFarlene is to comedy.

I'll rephrase my statement. Halo added more to the shooter genre, like McFarlene did to comedy with his animated abominations. Nothing. Halo is just a hyped-up shooter that was supposed to come out for the PC first but ended up on the Xbox. You are correct, Halo's story is nothing special, its hacked from Starhammer. The only decent trait is its multiplayer, which is fun with friends. Another overrated game: Kingdom Hearts.

The only thing Halo had going for it was that it had decent controls for a console FPS. If Halo had come out for the PC in the same condition it was released on the Xbox in, it would have been a critical and consumer failure.

JCD said:
When did it become popular to hate\dislike Halo?
I don't know. It's like everyones going through a giant 'Halo hangover' all at the same time. Personally, I was never into the game, so thankfully I'm not that affected.

I'll probably be yelled at for this, but I always knew there was a reason why I never played it through years ago. And it's because Resident Evil's gameplay just sucks. Completely. Control scheme? Sucks. Combat? Sucks. Inventory? Sucks. Save system? Sucks. It's just not that good of a system when you actually analyze it. And the game ends up being too much of a chore to play through, even with a walkthrough that's meant to cut out all the unnecessary exploration.

The plot's good (For a video game). And that's the only reason why I've decided to play through it despite my earlier reservations on the mechanics. But it isn't enough to get me to play the sequels. I'll just watch the speedruns and get whatever plot info I can from those.

Any old-schooly game that people pretend to like so they can get video game cred (see: PONG). Yes it was the first video game ever. Does that make it best game ever, or even a quality game? No. Look, I'm all for addicting, graphicly un-intense games, but they need to have some depth or require some skill. PONG had neither. All you trendy fuckers who sing priases of it (especially if you werent even alive when it came out) can munch on my taint.

GiftedMonkey said:
Any old-schooly game that people pretend to like so they can get video game cred (see: PONG). Yes it was the first video game ever. Does that make it best game ever, or even a quality game? No. Look, I'm all for addicting, graphicly un-intense games, but they need to have some depth or require some skill. PONG had neither. All you trendy **** who sing priases of it (especially if you werent even alive when it came out) can munch on my taint.

qft.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod