Most overrated game ever/most n00b-loved sucky game

Have you actually played Resistance? It has cooler weapons, cooler enemys, a better multiplayer, a better plot, and cooler locations.

JCD said:
Icepick said:
you can claim it sold x number of copies on it's release date, well no ****, what else was everyone else planning to buy on their xbox at that time? not much was around in the way of consumer compitetion there...

That makes absolutely no sense. If another game had have been released instead of Halo, would it have made over $125million in it's first day? No, of course not.

That is a flawed argument. All it prooves is that there was $125million worth of hype about Halo.

I'm baffled that you would even begin to disillusion yourself by thinking that halo has an immersive and indepth plot. I've beaten halo and it's plot was most definitely sub-par. Did I enjoy the game? Of course, it was fun. Did it add anything to the genre? No, it most certainly didn't. Halo did the same stuff that i've seen in practically every other FPS, and it appears that all Halo 3 has to offer is a grenade shield and dual wielding plasma swords(which looks to be hella fun).

Yeah, the hedgehog grenade. It is really handy in Multiplayer.
But my point is that you can't add something that has already been added. It can only then be improved.

Halo was something new for console gamers and definitely did have a big effect on the industry. but as far as other PC FPSs that had already been released, it was nothing new, nothing special. I never liked it myself, found it repetitive.

It's probably similar to the way people reacted over Goldeneye, myself included. It was the fukin sh*t but I'm sure if I had been exposed more to FPSs I wouldn't have regarded it so highly.

Krowsnose said:
Halo was something new for console gamers and definitely did have a big effect on the industry. but as far as other PC FPSs that had already been released, it was nothing new, nothing special. I never liked it myself, found it repetitive.

It's probably similar to the way people reacted over Goldeneye, myself included. It was the fukin sh*t but I'm sure if I had been exposed more to FPSs I wouldn't have regarded it so highly.

That's a really good point. The PC has always been the realm of FPS, from simple shooters like Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, and Quake to single-player experiences like Half-Life to multiplayer shootouts like Tribes, Team Fortress, and Counterstrike. In this time period on consoles, I can think of....lets see....Goldeneye, Medal of Honor, maybe Turok being the successful/influential/critically acclaimed shooters on the consoles? Once the next-gen consoles came out, Halo became the benchmark for an FPS experience on a console.

Its similar to RPGs on consoles. Single player RPGs like Final Fantasy series had always been on consoles, every so often a port would come over. Then, starting with Everquest, MMORPGs became exclusive on the PC and really took off. Look at WoW and all the others...

GiftedMonkey said:
Its similar to RPGs on consoles. Single player RPGs like Final Fantasy series had always been on consoles, every so often a port would come over. Then, starting with Everquest, MMORPGs became exclusive on the PC and really took off. Look at WoW and all the others...

I'm losing you here. Sounds like you're mixing up the differences between the D&d styled RPG with that of the Japanese styled RPG and thinking MMORPGs somehow stole the thunder from the consoles while completely neglecting the fact that one of the earliest PC genres was the text based RPG.

I guess what I'm saying is it's nothing like RPGs on consoles.

***This post made with the hopes of getting everyone off the Halo bit. ***

HOC said:
GiftedMonkey said:

I'm losing you here. Sounds like you're mixing up the differences between the D&d styled RPG with that of the Japanese styled RPG and thinking MMORPGs somehow stole the thunder from the consoles while completely neglecting the fact that one of the earliest PC genres was the text based RPG.

I guess what I'm saying is it's nothing like RPGs on consoles.

***This post made with the hopes of getting everyone off the Halo bit. ***

I realize that single player story-driven games like Final Fantasy and Legend of Mana and MMORPGs like Everquest and WoW are vastly different, yet they both fall under the genre of Role Playing Game. But the fact of the matter is, single player RPGs are mostly on consoles (and therefore played by console gamers) and Online RPGs are mostly on the PC, just like how FPS games are most often found on PCs and enjoyed by PC gamers.

And as for text-based RPGs, they may have appeared on the PC, but they never achieved mainstream popularity. Once graphics started looking better than text, PC gamers went for Doom and its ilk.

GiftedMonkey said:
HOC said:
GiftedMonkey said:
I realize that single player story-driven games like Final Fantasy and Legend of Mana and MMORPGs like Everquest and WoW are vastly different, yet they both fall under the genre of Role Playing Game. But the fact of the matter is, single player RPGs are mostly on consoles (and therefore played by console gamers) and Online RPGs are mostly on the PC, just like how FPS games are most often found on PCs and enjoyed by PC gamers.

And as for text-based RPGs, they may have appeared on the PC, but they never achieved mainstream popularity. Once graphics started looking better than text, PC gamers went for Doom and its ilk.

Ehhh most JRPGs are on the console, yeah. But I wouldn't say, overall, that there have been more RPGs on consoles. There's a pretty big list for the PC, and that seems to only date those that have come out in the 00's (Although many are listed without dates next to the title) .

You may be right about the popularity of the text based RPG though. We have to keep in mind that the PC market started to really boom in the mid-90s. Before then, computing for the average user just didn't have nearly as much of a mass-market appeal as it does now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle