Halo: Overrated or Not

AcidTrip said:
It was, to my knowledge, the first online multiplayer game for X-Box Live--in itself, a revolutionary concept for console gaming.
That is wrong. The first game to be on Live was Unreal Championship.

Was Mario Bros. a revolutionary game? Hell no.
Yes, it was very revolutionary. It basically redefined platformers.

When looking at it in this sense, Halo is not overrated. At the time (and still even now) it provided a concept and story element that wasn't seen on consoles. Not to mention it was the first good FPS since Goldeneye.
Between GE and Halo, there was Half-Life, Quake III Arena, Unreal Tournament, and Deus Ex, to name a few.

Longo_2_guns said:
AcidTrip said:
It was, to my knowledge, the first online multiplayer game for X-Box Live--in itself, a revolutionary concept for console gaming.
That is wrong. The first game to be on Live was Unreal Championship.

Was Mario Bros. a revolutionary game? Hell no.
Yes, it was very revolutionary. It was basically the first ever platformer.

When looking at it in this sense, Halo is not overrated. At the time (and still even now) it provided a concept and story element that wasn't seen on consoles. Not to mention it was the first good FPS since Goldeneye.
Between GE and Halo, there was Half-Life, Quake III Arena, Unreal Tournament, and Deus Ex, to name a few.

I said on consoles. The Quake ports to the N64 were rubbish, Half-Life was a PC exclusive (at the time, and a damn good game), Unreal Tournament I forgot about (thanks for the correction), and Deus Ex didn't hit consoles until 2002.

As far as console FPS games go, Halo was the first great one in a long time. Before that, the much touted PC experience was considered dominant over its console brethren. That changed with Halo in a big way.

AcidTrip said:
Longo_2_guns said:

I said on consoles. The Quake ports to the N64 were rubbish, Half-Life was a PC exclusive (at the time, and a damn good game), Unreal Tournament I forgot about (thanks for the correction), and Deus Ex didn't hit consoles until 2002.

As far as console FPS games go, Halo was the first great one in a long time. Before that, the much touted PC experience was considered dominant over its console brethren. That changed with Halo in a big way.
Look carefully. You say had elements not seen on consoles, and that it is the first good FPS, not the first good console FPS. And technically there is also Perfect Dark, which was between the two.

But the second part I kind of agree with. Had it come out for PC, it would not be rated nearly as high.

I never said it was the first good FPS. I'm not nearly that thick.

Perfect Dark... eh. I wasn't nearly as blown away by that as I was with other shooters at the time... but then again, I can also say that I was playing other, more prominent titles for the PlayStation and PC as well.

Well, can we both just agree that Halo was a good game, but not as good as many others that have been released?

your main argument was, it was a huge smash on the xbox, which no one can denie, but why don't we dive into WHY it was a huge hit

it had zero competition, and was for the longest time the only game that warranted the price tag for a game, for 8 months or so on the green box

that's why, it's not hard to shine when your in a toilet over flowing with turds

Ah yes indeed Icepick, I would completely agree with you if not for the fact that you're wrong. The original Halo is still selling copies. Not to mention that it hasn't actually been far surpassed by any other console FPS games since it's release.

I'd like to add that no one has mentioned the story behind the games. For me half the thrill is reading the Halo books and learning about the origins of Master Chief and the other Spartans and what happened to them before Halo 1 and between Halo 1 and Halo 2.

Sam

how am i wrong saying halo sold massive copies in the beginning because it ran un opposed?

come on, even being the biggest bungie nut hugger around, you cant say halo busted through a crowded market

Not necessarily, Icepick.

It did bust through the market because of some good game designs, like the multi-player and the decent A.I that was a challenge in the beginning. Those were great grabs for FPS who were looking for the next Goldeneye.

And to be fair, Halo 1 HAD a story, Halo 2 had a story, and I bet Halo 3 has one as well. The main problems though are the stories are not that good in the game. True, they have some good elements. The Arbiter arc I actually liked, and I savor his return in number 3, but in a game where you take hated enemies who are nothing but mere fodder to the masses and attempt to, poorly might I add, give them characterization, it just isen't worth it.

Halo's weak spot has always been it's storyline and the single player experience, which is ironic because in most games that ARE among the best ever made, such as Zelda, Mario, and Metal Gear Solid, they combine great stories and single player games with great controls and sometimes graphical prowess. So that is why Halo is overrated to me, the single player game, along with the overall storyline is it's weakest point, where it should be as strong as the multi-player game.

I would have actually thought the storyline is one of it's strongest points. Not many games have such in-depth plots. While Halo may still be a go here, shoot that type series, at least there is a point to everything you do.

By far the best thing about the series haas always been it's multiplayer though. Only a fool would believe that the Halo games haven't been some of the greatest multiplayer games of all time.

that rings true i'll be honest, BUT after playing the beta, it feels like an update, not a new game, honestly it didn't blow me away

and TNO the depth in the halo story's from the game (while the books might be grand, we're discussing the games, or I am anyways) is about as deep as a mud puddle

LinksOcarina said:
Not necessarily, Icepick.

It did bust through the market because of some good game designs, like the multi-player and the decent A.I that was a challenge in the beginning. Those were great grabs for FPS who were looking for the next Goldeneye.

And to be fair, Halo 1 HAD a story, Halo 2 had a story, and I bet Halo 3 has one as well. The main problems though are the stories are not that good in the game. True, they have some good elements. The Arbiter arc I actually liked, and I savor his return in number 3, but in a game where you take hated enemies who are nothing but mere fodder to the masses and attempt to, poorly might I add, give them characterization, it just isen't worth it.

Halo's weak spot has always been it's storyline and the single player experience, which is ironic because in most games that ARE among the best ever made, such as Zelda, Mario, and Metal Gear Solid, they combine great stories and single player games with great controls and sometimes graphical prowess. So that is why Halo is overrated to me, the single player game, along with the overall storyline is it's weakest point, where it should be as strong as the multi-player game.

mario had a good story? the princess is kidnapped by a dinosaur with a spiky turtle shell and now i have to jump on normal(ish) turtles to get the princess back? dude that story sucks. im not sure how mario became a success, but it sure as hell wasnt its super compelling story.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle