Halo: Overrated or Not

I enjoyed the first one, from what limited play time I had with it but I found it to be somewhat easy mode in the campaign with what seemed to be some form of lock on auto targetting, granted I didn't even look for that feature in the options.

What makes it over rated to me however is the fact that the story is not te greatest, the gameplay is nothing that new. Granted, when it came out for the X-Box it was somewhat new in it's delivery but once it was ported to the PC, it had all been done, and in a much better way. Halo 2 brought even less inovation as far as I'm concerned. For a FPS to really wow me, and I mean blow me off my seat and have me say "....I need to play this game another 20 times over", it has to have very, very, nice next gen visuals, the most engrossing story I have yet to see in a FPS, which means no more alien wars, or world war 2 settings....Deep character development, fast, intense action and an online multiplayer mode that has an option for twitch action gamers and tactical gamers alike.

I know many will say "lol fps aren't rpgs nub"...But the idea of a FPS having a thin story and no character development has gotten old, and the only original thing left for them to introduce, is just that.

Edit: You will most likely see me say "wow...that game was amazing" or "Damn...That is one awesome FPS", even in this next year or so but that does not mean it's blown me away unless I say it has heh. I'm thinking of Call of Duty 4....

i found bioshock to be overhyped actually but hey thats my opinion

the only fps even remotley new thats made me say wow and play it multiple times is far cry

Yeah someone was saying that Bioshokc was great up to about half way or three quarters of the way through and then it seemed to fall apart. Actually, it may have been you who had said that Ice.

LetheanDreams said:
Yeah someone was saying that Bioshock was great up to about half way or three quarters of the way through and then it seemed to fall apart. Actually, it may have been you who had said that Ice.
Didn't he continue to say that it wowed him at the end and he regretted making the comment too early? Whoever originally said it fell apart in the middle corrected themselves and said it ended off very well. It might have been Maca actually. Anyways, i agree with Longo, Bioshock just blew me away. That's what i want in an FPS.

TheNesMan said:
LetheanDreams said:
Yeah someone was saying that Bioshock was great up to about half way or three quarters of the way through and then it seemed to fall apart. Actually, it may have been you who had said that Ice.
Didn't he continue to say that it wowed him at the end and he regretted making the comment too early? Whoever originally said it fell apart in the middle corrected themselves and said it ended off very well. It might have been Maca actually. Anyways, i agree with Longo, Bioshock just blew me away. That's what i want in an FPS.

Ahh. I didn't really remember that part of it. I think I had just kind of done a quick read through of the comment, so naturally I wasn't going to remember it all heh.

I think Halo is a good game, but the fact that so many people still plays it is insane. Gears is way better in my oppinion

The real problem is because it was so hyped, its now a pillar in gaming, and there are some good games that become better because of this hype.

Ratchet and Klank, Gears of War, Warioware, Madden, and even Soul Calibur fit into this category. They all have some good games, but they are almost always overhyped because of what is expected of them.

let's try to tweak this message board a bit, by having people people speak on their thoughts on Halo 2. Do you think it's better or worse?

^^like what? i liked the adding of duel weilding. i think fall damage should be optional though, i agree with you there.

LetheanDreams said:
TheNesMan said:
LetheanDreams said:

Ahh. I didn't really remember that part of it. I think I had just kind of done a quick read through of the comment, so naturally I wasn't going to remember it all heh.

yes that was me, and the second comment as well, i was blown away by the ending, but over all I have zero desire to play it again, the middle sinks so low in terms of story that even now that I know what happens, I can't stomach it once more

over all i'd say its worth maybe at best b+ and thats stretching things for me, it's too short of a game to not include multi player for starters

The duel wielding may have been one of the worst in any game I've played. They then went to make the vehicles completely ridiculous. They made it so that instead of one rocket to the front, it takes four, and sniper shots able to pierce three people bounce off, yet a bullet from a crappy pistol damages the driver. Next, they made all the good weapons suck, and then introduce several terrible "new" weapons. And that is just scratching the surface.

Halo makes for fun parties. Not everyone has a PC that they can bring over for a LAN party, but everyone had an Xbox.

As for the game itself, it was pretty overrated, but definitely a fun party game right next to rounds of SSBM.

A game cannot be considered overrated based solely on whether or not one person disliked it (or even a minor collective, like we have here). You can't just look at the gameplay elements and what it did wrong/right, but take in the whole. The impact it had on not only the X-Box, but gamers in general. It was, to my knowledge, the first online multiplayer game for X-Box Live--in itself, a revolutionary concept for console gaming. A collective minority might think that "It's a good FPS, but I don't see anything revolutionary about it", but in all honesty, they aren't taking in the big picture and instead only basing it off of their personal opinions.

Was Mario Bros. a revolutionary game? Hell no. It was another 2D platformer... but something about it seemed to capture lightning in a bottle and it got millions upon millions of kids hooked on it like a cheap hooker with no teeth is on crack. The same can be said for Sonic and, yes, even Grand Theft Auto. When you strip all of these monolithic franchises down, they don't do anything wholly original. Instead, they take bits and parts and cultivate their own Frankenstein Monster that just seems to click with the mainstream audience (including gamers).

When looking at it in this sense, Halo is not overrated. At the time (and still even now) it provided a concept and story element that wasn't seen on consoles. Not to mention it was the first good FPS since Goldeneye.

Oh, and Live with a bunch of smack-talking ignorant children was fun too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle