What makes a game "the best ever made"

ZOOMAR

Rookie
With the release of Twilight Princess, I've noticed a lot of talk about it being the best ever made. Then I realized most of these people were just rabid zelda/nintendo fans (with all due respect). GR has never given an A+, the so called "perfect" game, not even to GTA: San Andreas, which they described as the best yet.

Well then what IS the perfect game? What makes a game "perfect?" Is it graphics like Gears of War? Unusual and creative game play like Katamari or the Wii? Is it trademark characters like Zelda or Mario? Is it huge ass guns and lightsabers?

How do you define a perfect game?

GTA 3 was/is revolutionary.

What about Half Life. Everyone says that define what FPS'ers are now.

GR's just gay like that.

ZOOMAR said:
Well then what IS the perfect game? What makes a game "perfect?"
It has to have been released by Konami in 1999, and feature a main character named 'Harry Mason'

Those are the characteristics of what would be considered the perfect game.
;)

The perfect game....

Something we haven't played before, thats still fresh even if it's 10 years old, and is so engrossing it makes us lose sleep...

Ocarina of Time comes to mind, as does Tetris, Super Mario Bros. and GTA 3.

Several games in history have come close to receiving perfect game status in my opinion. (Most Recently ES IV Oblivion) But I really hope that a perfect game is never made. Because if it is, there would be no need for any other games.

JCD said:
But I really hope that a perfect game is never made. Because if it is, there would be no need for any other games.

Exactly. Think of the best game you have ever played, or just imagine what you think would be the best game ever. Ok now think of one minor improvement for it. HA! It doesn't deserve an A+, it isn't perfect. If you can't think of an improvement for it because you want to be stubborn, tell me the game and I will do it for you.

I was thinking of a game that hooks you and doesn't let you go, sucking away your social life, family and friends. A game that anyone could pick up and play, senators included.

To me, a perfect game give us something we want (like better graphics) but introduce something that we didn't KNOW we wanted (Katamari, or the Wii). But as we all know, anything will lose its shine with age.

To me the closest thing to perfect was Okami, which wasn't ENTIRELY perfect, but was so good I considered it more of an art form than game. The next is Shadow of the Colossus, which had me drooling for a long time..

I think that being totally immersed in a game is a big part. Through creating a new world or a captivating story, anything that can suck you in could be a candidate for Best Game Ever.

(And I realize that graphics dont make the game, and that there are plenty of haters who despise people who play games/buy systems for the graphics, but graphics do play a role in immersion. They dont have to be intense, mind you. The first game I ever got immersed in was Heroes of Might and Magic II, which had no 3D effects, but had beautiful and fanciful artwork. Have you ever heard of anyone being immersed in the world of PONG? Didnt think so.)

"The Pong universe is one of striking beauty. Imagine, if you will, a 2d utopia for perfectly straight lines. Imagine a box in the middle of this world. A box that traverses the inky blackness below. Two lines, moving quickly to intercept our blocky friend, to save him from the bleak void beyond. Imagine the fear that the block has. If one of the lines fails his job, the block is lost. Doomed to be replaced by a newer, faster block."

"Pong is beautiful, but at the same time dangerous. It is a game of tactics, a world of intrigue. It is.... PONG!"

Look at this, is it not beautiful? Does it not make you horny?
pong.png

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle