Mass Effect 3 |OT|

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by used44, Feb 14, 2012.

1. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

I'll remember that the next time someone praises Broken Steel.

2. Icepick

Icepick Rookie

Those aren't exactly the same, broken steel was due to outrage at not being able to continue the game after the final mission, not so much on the death of the character

The outrage for ME3's ending has nothing to do with it being final, it has everything to do with it clearly being a rushed job that acts as a disservice to fans

3. madster111

madster111 Rookie

Broken Steel was never planned before the game was released - they got a stack of complaints about not being able to keep playing the rest of the game after you finished the main quest, so they quickly slapped together some DLC that fixed the ending and added some extra content to make the purchase worthwhile, including the level cap raise.

Bioware have NO excuse for the ending because they knew it was going to cause a massive shit-storm and they would be 'forced' to bring out DLC to fix it.
    I bet the dipshits were already making the DLC before the game even shipped, and it's going to be 800M$ points and probably 360 exclusive for a month.

4. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

Proof?

5. Eyebrowsbv31

Eyebrowsbv31 Rookie

This is how I feel, I was all set to go with a bad male shep and middle road female shep. Totally pointless now. What a terrible, terrible ending. You know how people like their endings? like the Princess bride. We dont want to, kill, control, or join Humperdink; we wanna ride off, get that kiss, and kick fred savage in the balls.

6. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

O'd buy this in a heartbeat: http://social.bioware.com/poll.php?user ... l_id=29101

On a side note, I want more Mass Effect. I don't want a trilogy though. I want stand alone titles with unique stories in each one. I don't want an enemy that spans three games. I want your choices to span - Rachni surviving, who lives/dies, etc so we can see how that plays out in the world and affects things but the main antagonist? Wrap it up in one maybe two games. Why? I feel that getting as ambitious as Bioware did, introducing this enemy that is capable of wiping out virtually all civilization, set the bar too high and set themselves up for failure in terms of fan happiness.

7. Icepick

Icepick Rookie

apparently there was a lot more to the ending that was cut (see the final hours app) including an extended dialogue with Anderson on the citadel that was cut because "it made the moment too long" (in actuality it added roughly 3 minutes) and the concept to be under reaper control, and an investigative dialogue tree with the star child but they cut it feeling players didn't care for an explanation to the mass effect universe

in the app itself Casey Hudson (head honcho) has notes, showing he wanted it to end like the matrix (a really low bar to shoot for..) and that he liked the ending because it leaves everything up to speculation (because no one wants closure at the end of a trilogy)

It's fairly obvious the leaving of the lead writer damaged the series
    In the app he contradicts himself on multiple occasions, most notably pushing for the A, B or C endings, which in a January interview stated that's something he wouldn't leave the series to as that kills the platform they've built their game on (keep in mind the app is focusing on details of meetings in November)

And secondly, they were working on the Prothean content to be part of the main game, but cut it and offered it as DLC, despite in interviews claiming it was developed after the product was finished

They didn't even have a general idea for an ending by November, how the fuck do you set out to make a trilogy without a fucking ending in mind?

8. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Because they switched their lead writer from the project after ME1 and put him on TOR where he could reaaaaaally shine. Which was honestly what changed the series to being a lot of potential that was never actually realized.

9. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

There series didn't have much potential in its narrative to begin with; its a cliched "good vs evil" style story.

what made all three games is the character interactions and socio-political machinations in-between, the Genophage, the Synthetic/Organic question, the idea of rivalies and intergalactic politics, ambition and sacrifice. That made it reach its full potential. It's why the entire trilogy is damn good.

10. kingg5

kingg5 Rookie

For once I 100% agree with Icepick on something. The ending was just one gian middle finger to all the people who grew to love the characters and wondered what will happen on the next game. That's how I was after I beat the first one I wondered what will Shepards next adventure be, what will become of everyone, who will be the new enemy, etc. At the end of the second one I was excited to see what happens next, waiting for months each time having it delayed, I was like a kid at chrismas.

Got it a few days after my birthday and was excited threw off every other game I was playing Alan wake AN, I am alive, etc just to play it. Through out the entire game It was fucking awesome seeing all the choices I made play out. Creating the greatest fleet around, almost crieing when certain characters ended up dieing. It was touching and exciting, I actually got an adrenaline rush when all the fleets came through the mass relay to help.

Then it came towards the end and I was sad to see it end, but what made me even more sad was actually seeing the ending and how they fucked me and every other soul who was a mass effect addict. In a way it was like the godfather the trilogy was great even the last one up till the end or better yet the sopranoes.

Don't get me wrong I think the third one was the best, just the ending sucked. Multiplayer is actually quite fun though. Anyone know where to get the casual leather N7 jacket from the game? Anyways that's all my thoughts and opinions. If anyone doesn't like it oh well.

11. cereal13killer

Did anyone else lose their credits when the "Support pack" or whatever it was called expired? I lost 30K...

12. Kijan

Kijan Rookie

13. kingg5

kingg5 Rookie

I just heard to get a good ending you have to play through multiplayer and get some kind of shit. So getting the N7 hat at my local gamestop

14. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

You need to get your Galactic Readiness up high. So that means a few matches of multiplayer (which is a fucking blast so don't stress it) or there's a few other ways. I used a free official iPhone app to get a ton of readiness per day.

15. kingg5

kingg5 Rookie

So the info was correct? Anyone wanna do some multiplayer for Xbox today?

16. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry to side-track on the discussion you guys are having. But I'm thinknig of getting this, however I haven't played the 1st or 2nd...would you recommend I play those first, or shall I just read the plots on wiki and then dive right in on the 3rd?

17. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes to 1....Skip 2....Play 3 until about 15 minutes from the ending.

About the best way to play the ME series right there.

18. Kijan

Kijan Rookie

DO NOT SKIP 2!

The story maybe doesn't go anywhere but it has one of the best characters in gaming history!

You cannot deny the awesomeness that is Mordin motherfucking Solus! :D

19. kingg5

kingg5 Rookie

Between my favorite characters it's a tie between Garrus and the new character James Vega

20. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Play them all. They're great.