I Need To Talk To People

I'm going to get the honest, traditional "oh there goes Icepick, man what an asshole" routine out of the way early, then I'll go over how I've handled similar situations. If you don't want my two cents, skip the following paragraph.

It's fucking McDonalds, it's not even a proper restaurant, anyone who looks at the golden arches as a lifelong career needs to be dragged out into the street and shot. Not because the average employee there is an idiot (which lets face it, they are) but rather because someone who's willing to settle for that in life, is exactly what's wrong with society. Get some fucking ambition, even if you don't revolutionize the country, at least climb higher than the lowest rung on the damn ladder. If at any point in your job you find yourself with the same job title and comparable wage to someone who is still in highschool, that is not a job you should be counting on to pay rent.

Now, having been in similar situations, do not grovel. A good manager will respect someone who can honestly admit a fault/failure, and despise someone who looks to come up with excuses and finger point. Granted, I'm not sure if McDonalds has quality management, but you'll at least feel better then if you beg to keep your job. Walk into the meeting and slap your dick on the table (not literally, unless your manager is a milf in an unhappy marriage and you're hung like urban thinks he is) Own up to what happened, alpha male style. Tell them that your behaviour was unprofessional, that you've been under a fair amount of stress lately (even if you think it's BS, everyones stressed out, especially someone trying to pay bills on a burger pushers wage) and as a result you ended up venting. Assuming this is the first incident of yours, and that you are indeed a hard worker, that should be all that is required.

If they require more than that, fuck em (not literally, unless your hung like... you get the idea), that's a dead end job and if they expect you to be devoid of human emotion for 5+ years, it aint worth the bullshit man. If they demand you provide reasoning, specifics, narc out other employees, attend any type of stress/anger management course, this job ain't worth the time you put in now, let alone any additional shit on top of that. Stand up, inform them that you feel stagnant in your current position and as a result you feel an amicable parting of ways would be best. Do not give them an opportunity to disagree, extend your hand, give a firm shake, thank them for their time and walk the fuck out.

As for bills, EI, or unemployment, is geared for this kind of situation, if you can get a doctor to sign off on stress leave, all the better, granted you silly southerners have to pay to see your doc so that may not be a viable option. Welfare, at least up here also will cover your rent, by paying your landlord directly, your landlord is happy because they're guaranteed money, and the city is happy because there's no chance of you misusing the money. Also, if none of this tickles your fancy, there should be educational programs for someone in your situation, up here in Ontario, OSAP and OYAP will throw heaps of money at you to go get a job that will actually be worthwhile, and paying it back is fairly lenient compared to bank loans anyways. There's also a handful of municipally run programs (I assume the same has to be true in the states) for people looking to pick up an education to better themselves, you wont be living it up, but you'll have the money you need to sustain yourself while you pursue an education

either that, or slip your manager a bunch of oxy's and fuck em in the ass on tape, threaten to show ronald mcdonald the video unless they play ball.

The thing is, I always was able to control my stress and vent out when nobody is around. Wednesday night, I f*cked up and made that mstake. I'm under depression right now, because I'm losing money and haven't paid my month's rent, yet. I've never been in debt and don't own a credit card to say "Hey, I'll pay all this back later."
Green_Lantern said:
danielrbischoff said:
Green_Lantern said:
Just tell them you had a moment where you lost your composure and let frustration get the best of you and that it won't happen again.

Simple as that

Also, have you ever considering going to trade school for some certifications? I bet you'd be a great mechanic or do really well in another technical field with a focus on installation/repair.

I was going to suggest that too.
Even if it's simple as going to trade school, it's much harder to do in the position I am in. I wished I could get a day job like Craig suggested that would pay me the same amount as McDonald's. Then, I would be able to take up an activity such as this. Overnight jobs are harder to perform these activities.

Everything will work out Ugh. I imagine you're still owed a paycheck for work thus far, right? Do they still owe you vacation time? You've only been out of work a few days. They will either have you come back, or you'll have a new job before end of next week. I'm sure of it. GameStop would be better off with you on board I'm sure.

Oh and also I worked at Wal-Mart for 3 years and it's a great job as far as retail jobs go. Once you've passed your probationary period they can't just fire you like Mickey D's. You basically have a three strike rule and unless it's stealing you won't get canned until you've had your third warning. And the warnings have to be official where management brings you into the office and gives you a "coaching" (nice way of saying they give you shit).

Good luck!

It's a hard situation, Ugh, one that I can't imagine being in. I've been in hard situations before and I've been "depressed" as well (I'm sure everyone here as experienced clinical depression at some stage in their lives) but your situation sounds pretty tough.

Go to that Wal-Mart interview and do the best you can. Kick the interview's arse, not literally of course, unless they piss you off. :p The interview at Wal-Mart could lead you to a job at Wal-Mart, which in the future could lead you to something else. Use this as a stepping stone to further yourself and your career. I know it doesn't sound like much but trust me, it's experience and it's a stepping stone that has the potential to take you further and to take you up.

In the mean time, you always have time to search for other jobs and if you see something you're interested in, apply for it and see how it goes. There is absolutely no harm in applying for other jobs. Just keep an eye out. Keep an ear too.

I know it sounds annoying but I still think exercise could help in the relief of the depression you may be feeling. I know it's tough because you're not able to go out during "normal" times due to your current work hours, but it's always possible to do exercises in your very own home, using very minimal equipment or simple body weight exercises. If you're interested, I can shoot you a message and give you an idea of what you could try and if you don't like it - fair enough, that's okay.

Recapping real quick... go to the Wal-Mart interview, do the best you can, hopefully you'll be working there soon instead. Could lead to better opportunities down the path.

Dude, you'll be fine. There are plenty of jobs in US. Just dont sit on your hands and wait for Maccy Ds to respond. Look now so you're prepared - it will be less stressful later.

In 3-4 weeks times I'm sure we will all look back on this and laugh! And say "hide the broom - Howie's here!" ;)

I swear to god, this thread is going to turn into a sitcom group hug any minute now.
You'll pull through Ugh, cause not only is all this bullcrap merely a setback, but because you have proven to all of us here on GR that you are capable of more then how you are feeling your life is right now. There's plenty of jobs right now, like Mattay said. If one doesn't work, seek another. If life still brings you down, tell yourself how happy you'll be when the depression will be over.

This isn't a guy love speech, this is all your friends here saying we support ya! Stay strong!

Interviews were great (weird, they have 3 different interviews) It's a matter of whether my background check and drug test is cleared. Drug test I don't have to worry about, but the background check might affect my status, because of my underage drinking in 2009 when I was 18 years old.

I hope this goes well for you, because if you get the Wal-Mart position you can tell McDonalds you're moving on.. then from there you're in a power position - who knows they might give you a raise to try and keep you.

You should put on your best shirt and tie and try your luck walking into a temp agency.

I didn't read Icepick's suggestion, but I'm going to assume its bad and you shouldn't listen to it.

used44 said:
Also, get a credit card, dude.

Forgot to agree with used...credit cards are very convenient, and a great tool as long as you're a responsible adult. I have 4 (well one's a company card) with varying perks and never carry a balance.

You need to start building credit if you ever plan to get a loan or mortgage.

Credit cards are nice just get one with a small limit and just use every once in awhile to build up some good credit. This is what I'm doing while I'm still in college just use it for groceries and gas so my credit will be in good shape when i graduate soon

UghRochester said:
Interviews were great (weird, they have 3 different interviews) .

If you're called back for the second interview they go over the questionare you filled out and if you're called in for the third interview you have the job and it's basically just all the paper work signing to get you started.

Green_Lantern said:
Forgot to agree with used...credit cards are very convenient, and a great tool as long as you're a responsible adult. I have 4 (well one's a company card) with varying perks and never carry a balance.

Why in gods name do you need 4 cards? Is that only you or does that include a significant other?

Gunner37 said:
Credit cards are nice just get one with a small limit and just use every once in awhile to build up some good credit.

What do you classify as a small limit?

For me, credit cards are great because I can buy things online. You should all know I'm a big film junkie and there is nothing better than buying AVX movie tickets online and having the seats you want reserved before you even get to the theater.

UrbanMasque said:
Green_Lantern said:

Why in gods name do you need 4 cards? Is that only you or does that include a significant other?

It's all my use.

Well 1 is a company credit card, so not really personal use but I use it quite often due to my work.

But I really only use 2 of the other 3, I have both a Chase Cash Back card and an AMEX card, I use the Chase with the 5% cash back stuff and the AMEX for everything else since normal purchases are worth more in cash back. The third is a card that doesn't have any sort of perks so I don't really use it much anymore and just haven't ever cancelled it.

Yeah, it's all about building credit. Just don't get a card with any annual fees and do what Gunner said.

Ugh, have you also considered reaching out to your local workforce services office. Sometimes you can get a great individual who might know of career or education opportunities.

I tried to avoid a credit card forever ever since I maxed one and didn't make payments in college, to the point they cancelled it on me.

My credit was fucked.. finally was able to get a futureshop credit card, and built my credit enough to get a normal credit card. Now I have a credit limit of $20,000 but never ever carry a balance. My credit score is incredible. Doesn't take too long to build your credit up even when it was through the floor if you play your cards right.

Not to mention it makes life so much more convenient. I finally decided to try and get one one day when my car died, and I really had to get somewhere and wasn't able to rent a car without a credit card.

You NEED a credit card, unfortunately.

Anyway, good luck Ugh, I bet this will be better for you in the long run.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod