Do you even lift?

Daddio went from "I'll see you at 8 o'clock?" to "You're comin' home with me" real quick. Nice job, Daddio! Awesome transformation. ;)

I used to be the guy that thought to myself, "If only I wasn't born so skinny". I trained for years at a consistent level, doing push ups, pull ups, dumbbell curls, tricep extensions, and more every three days or so. Despite this investment, I didn't see many results.

Then, I came to learn about half a year ago that you can't gain muscle without a caloric surplus. I have no idea why it took so long for me to learn this, but that was the case.

With that, I've been hitting the gym consistently five days a week, workout for about 70 to 90 minutes each time. I'm also hitting a very healthy 300 to 500 calorie surplus each day, consisting of fruits, vegetables, meat, protein powder, nuts, yogurt, and more.

It's only been three months at this point (would have been three months earlier but I fractured my wrist playing basketball), but I feel better than ever. I feel like I'm finally pushing toward becoming the best version of myself I can be, and it's had an incredibly positive effect on me.

I'm addicted at this point, with no intention of ever slowing down. In a few months I'll post some progress photos and weight numbers. For now, it's a work in progress. :)

That's really awesome, Jonathan. Great job, man. Very happy and proud to hear you're doing all that.

When I first started the gym about five or six years ago, I was also in the same boat. I went with a friend, I didn't really know what I was doing. I would do everything from bench pressing, to tricep push downs, bicep curls etc. Funnily enough, I was that guy who did not train legs. I've always had big legs, and I made the excuse "Oh, I need my legs for judo", but I paid the horrible price for it when I tore my right ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) from an accident in judo, which may not have happened if I had stronger legs.

Now, I'm super into squats and dead lifts. Very important exercises. I've made more progress in my gym training in the last two years than I have in my first five years.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend incorporating dead lifts and squats into your training, Jonathan, as well as other additional compound lifting such as bench pressing, overhead pressing etc.

Managed to achieve a new one rep bench press yesterday, hitting 122.5kg (270 Ibs).

I was asked to do three sets, one rep each. The first two sets felt surprisingly quick and easy, but the third and final set felt like an absolute slow grind.

Don't count it unless you can do 3 - off the bar (initial push), down to chest and up, one more for good measure. ;)

I think the best way to do bench pressing is by pausing your reps... so the bar is lowered to your chest, touches, pause/hold, then press up.

I say it's "the best", but I can't do it for crap. I'm more uh... touch and go? :p

Also, I totally count it, because my programming says so. :p

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Playnft