Your life advice

Mod-Chip said:
Okay, that is something if you're an American. The rest of the world isn't as insular when it comes to travel.
Yeah, the US is at a disadvantage locationwise. It's an expensive 12 hour flight to get anywhere where there are a bunch of countries.

Whether or not you agree with this, it's my life advice.

Don't do drugs. Don't smoke tobacco. Don't drink alcohol, caffeine, or carbonated beverages. And most importantly, don't chew gum.

Don't buy expensive food, at a restaurant or otherwise, except on occasion.

Don't swear in public.

Don't get into a serious relationship without knowing them, or yourself, well enough.

Don't be afraid to fight for your life. 9/11 happens when you're afraid to fight for your life.

"Never let them see you bleed. Always have an escape plan."

De-Ting said:
Whether or not you agree with this, it's my life advice.

Don't do drugs. Don't smoke tobacco. Don't drink alcohol, caffeine, or carbonated beverages. And most importantly, don't chew gum.

Don't buy expensive food, at a restaurant or otherwise, except on occasion.

Don't swear in public.

Don't get into a serious relationship without knowing them, or yourself, well enough.

Don't be afraid to fight for your life. 9/11 happens when you're afraid to fight for your life.

"Never let them see you bleed. Always have an escape plan."

Now I know why squidward is your avatar...

1. Read. Read every day. Fact, fiction, newspapers, magazines...read for at least half an hour every day. You will learn stuff and engage your mind. Don't have the time? You just think you don't have the time. Spend 30 minutes less watching TV or on facebook. Note: TV Guide, comments sections, and tweets do not count.

2. Learn to cook. Pathetic and unhealthy is the man (or woman) who moves into their own place and now must subsist on delivery or microwave meals. Get some cookbooks and quality ingredients and learn how to make at least one of each of the following: A quick dinner, a filling, healthy dinner (that you can have leftovers of for dinner the next day), something to bring to a party/potluck, something to impress a special someone you have invited over. Then, learn how to make many different dishes in each category.

3. Nothing ever really changes. Think back to elementary school. The little awkward nerd grows up to be a big awkward nerd. The little self-absorbed drama queen grows up to be a big self-absorbed drama queen. The little bully grows up to be a big bully. The problems and thoughts and feelings and fears you had as a kid will be the problems and thoughts and feelings and fears you have as an adult. The things that worry or frighten or amuse you are the same things that did the same to your parents, and their parents, and their parents and so on. This isn't good or bad, it just is.

4. Don't bother seeking revenge. You got your own things to worry about. Someone cheated you out of love, money, prestige, possessions? You have other things to worry about. Keeping your wheels spinning is hard enough, without going out of your way to make someone else miserable. Learn from your mistakes, accept it, and move on.

5. The world is a crazy, messed-up, beautiful place. It is what it is, which is to say it is what you make of it.

De-Ting said:

But people did fight for their lives and the plane heading for the white house crashed in PA. Although your point is still true.

GiftedMonkey said:
3. Nothing ever really changes. Think back to elementary school. The little awkward nerd grows up to be a big awkward nerd. The little self-absorbed drama queen grows up to be a big self-absorbed drama queen. The little bully grows up to be a big bully. The problems and thoughts and feelings and fears you had as a kid will be the problems and thoughts and feelings and fears you have as an adult. This isn't good or bad, it just is.
Been thinking about this lately. I've come to accept (and expect) that you can't change people and that you shouldn't try. People can change themselves, if they're motivated enough, but you can't do anything to make it happen.

I know that's partly contradictory to your point Monkey, but I know that I've changed from who I was, but that it wasn't because of someone else. My outlook is that you can't change OTHER people.

I think it's possible for some people to change. I have a number of friends from high school that are now really completely different people. Though for one of them, it took traveling around the world, and spending 2 years living in Jerusalem to really figure herself out. I think some people get stuck with groups of people in high school that they don't really belong in, and once they get away from that situation, they become different people. Most people though tend to stay the same throughout much of their life.

As for me, I'm quite a bit more outgoing than I used to be, but otherwise I haven't changed that much. Maybe more humble as well.

WickedLiquid said:
But people did fight for their lives and the plane heading for the white house crashed in PA. Although your point is still true.

Are you going to sit there and act like that thing wasn't shot down and the story of the passengers fighting back was to cushion the blow?

danielrbischoff said:
GiftedMonkey said:
3. Nothing ever really changes. Think back to elementary school. The little awkward nerd grows up to be a big awkward nerd. The little self-absorbed drama queen grows up to be a big self-absorbed drama queen. The little bully grows up to be a big bully. The problems and thoughts and feelings and fears you had as a kid will be the problems and thoughts and feelings and fears you have as an adult. This isn't good or bad, it just is.
Been thinking about this lately. I've come to accept (and expect) that you can't change people and that you shouldn't try. People can change themselves, if they're motivated enough, but you can't do anything to make it happen.

I know that's partly contradictory to your point Monkey, but I know that I've changed from who I was, but that it wasn't because of someone else. My outlook is that you can't change OTHER people.

Those are all good points. And let me add a caveat: People don't change because they see the light, people change because they feel the heat.

GiftedMonkey said:
Those are all good points. And let me add a caveat: People don't change because they see the light, people change because they feel the heat.
The funny thing is, I'm happier than I ever was accepting that people are going to do whatever it is they're going to do.

My parents were and continue to be huge alcoholics. I never had to clean them up or anything, but there were times where we'd be driving home from somewhere late and I'd lean my head against the window and watch as the car drifted over the double yellow line. I grew up trying to balance them and my brother and keep everyone stable and happy.

Of course it didn't matter. I had a hard time letting go of the need to please everyone and anyone all the time. I wanted everything to be OK, but if someone is going to hurt themselves, or hurt me, it's going to happen no matter what I do.

The only thing you can do is watch out for your own ass and take precautions. Which brings me to another piece of advice:

Let shit roll right off of you: Stuff is going to hurt as much as you let it. You'll move forward no matter what happens, so don't get in your own way of it.

I know that feeling all too well.

Yeah, it is about actually wanting to change, rather than letting others change you. Unless you're really weak willed, that is.

Win if you can, lose if you must - ALWAYS cheat.

Chase your dreams.
No Regrets.
Every cliche you can think about living in the moment.
Do it up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod