Give me life advice!

Rakon

Rookie
Hey fellers, I'm gonna go on a bit of a rant, but I need to vent and I'm looking for some guidance, and GR has never steered me wrong before. I also don't know where I'd post this on reddit.

I've been going through a quarter-life crisis of sorts. I really don't like my job, and I'm very much so contemplating a career change. To what? I'm not too sure. I feel like I have no motivation at all. About a year ago I started making a documentary on competitive video gaming (it wasn't going to be anything major), but I got wrapped up in work and by the time I had enough free time to make it, I totally dropped it and I have no motivation to start it back up. I really want to get into a career that challenges my mind more, where I can learn pretty much everyday, but I don't know what that is. I'm really into social justice and political issues, so I was thinking something related to that maybe, but I don't really know where to begin.

I've heard enough people saying "just keep working, you won't find a job you love anyway". But fuck that noise, only people who hate their jobs say that. I saw a commencement speech (at least a short part of it) given by Jim Carey, and he brought up a great point. He talked about how he thought his father was the funniest man he'd ever known, but didn't pursue comedy because he wanted a stable job. After a decade, he lost that job, and his family struggled. The takeaway is that you can fail at things you don't want to do as well, so do what you want to do anyway (within reason of course, I'm nothing if not pragmatic).

I seriously don't know where my life is heading. I don't know what I want to do, or who I want to be, all I know is that I'm not there now and I don't know where or how to start.

I'm planning on going on a big trip in the winter (about 5 months, Nov-Mar), so hopefully that will help me clear my head, but I'm not banking on it. Does anyone have any words of advice? Really anything is appreciated.

You could try your hand at the entrepreneurial route. Just over two years ago, I decided I wanted to write a book, and I've been struck with inspiration almost constantly since. I've now got two ideas in the works which basically came out of nowhere. Good, since I hate working jobs that I have no interest in, too.

So, do you really not know what you want to do? Or do you have an idea that you're kinda holding out on? Ask yourself what you want to do, and you'll come up with something.

Hey Rakon. I saw that same video by Jim Carey and I thought it was awesome. It was really inspiring to me too.

I'm in a similar boat I suppose. I don't mind my job, but it can get very difficult and stressful and despite being digital media, it isn't exactly what I want to do, and what I want to do is to have a career in drawing, whether it's comics, cartoons, or YouTube videos (animations, tutorials etc). I think I am however on the right track, e.g. drawing the weekly comics for GameRevolution in the form of GR Strips, and now attempting to sell my works via RedBubble.com. The latter may not be successful, but I'm at least trying.

The thing with having a job though is it becomes "easy" and essentially our safety net. A lot of my friends tell me I should just leave my job and pursue what I want to do, but if I do that, what if I want to do doesn't work? How will I get income? My parents basically say to me "just stay in the job because it's a job".

I think with the Internet at our finger tips, the idea of being an 'entrepreneur' and essentially doing our own thing isn't that unrealistic. With things like YouTube, or blogging sites and whatnot, it is very well possible to make a potential full time income from doing what we love. However, such a path would not be easy and it is a little risky... it would in a sense require a lot of work, dedication and sacrifice, but in the end it is achievable as long as you work at it. I understand that it's very easy to lose motivation, I lose motivation myself all the time in trying to do new things.

Like De-Ting asked, is there anything you want to do in particular, Rakon? Do you have any creative paths you wish to follow? Any creative goals you'd like to achieve?

Here's an idea... why don't you document your big trip? Use a video camera, or take photos, make a video blog on YouTube or maybe even just an ordinary blog? I'd suggest a video blog because it'd be more engaging and could reach out to a wider audience. I think that's a start? I also think this big trip of yours sounds epic, I'm sure it'll help clear your head but man, I reckon you should document it! Five months is a bit of travel, man. That's a journey.

In regards to video and other multimedia, if you don't have the software and you either can't afford it or/and don't want to be a pirate, then look no further...

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitleme ... _downloads

^ Here. The entire Adobe CS2 with serial codes, for free, from Adobe themselves.

CS2 is a little bit older (release in 2005-2006) and while CS6 has just come out, CS2 is nothing to sneeze at and is still powerful software.

I hope this helps you Rakon, and I hope I didn't go off on a rant and talk about uninteresting stuff. :)

Yo ddude, I know how you're feeling! And the best advice I can give is find a job that is reasonably related to a field your hobbies are in or connected to. That way it doesnt feel like your working, your motivated, and you learn about your hobby and get paid to do so... but you gotta take the first step and apply like Jim Carrey said.

If you know what you want to do, but aren't brave enough to venture out on your own, find something, again - in a related field, and use their resources to produce your own ideas for things. knowledge, contacts, resources, etc..

I think facebook sucks because it makes us look at other people's lives and think, "wow, they have it together" when really we're all wandering... even our parents. No one knows whats going on, but you shouldn't tie your worth to your job... unless you work for UNICEF or something. Not a lot of people like their jobs, and thats because they're making someone else rich with their stress and labor.. but in all honesty - if you want to make money for yourself you have to make money for someone else first. (or at least thats how I look at it).

You have a job, use it to fulfill whatever it is that makes you feel fulfilled mang.

UrbanMasque said:
Yo ddude, I know how you're feeling! And the best advice I can give is find a job that is reasonably related to a field your hobbies are in or connected to. That way it doesnt feel like your working, your motivated, and you learn about your hobby and get paid to do so... but you gotta take the first step and apply like Jim Carrey said.

If you know what you want to do, but aren't brave enough to venture out on your own, find something, again - in a related field, and use their resources to produce your own ideas for things. knowledge, contacts, resources, etc..

I think facebook sucks because it makes us look at other people's lives and think, "wow, they have it together" when really we're all wandering... even our parents. No one knows whats going on, but you shouldn't tie your worth to your job... unless you work for UNICEF or something. Not a lot of people like their jobs, and thats because they're making someone else rich with their stress and labor.. but in all honesty - if you want to make money for yourself you have to make money for someone else first. (or at least thats how I look at it).

You have a job, use it to fulfill whatever it is that makes you feel fulfilled mang.

^ UrbanMasque is right, Rakon. Pretty much this. All this.

I've been working in my job for over three years now and while it has been very stressful, difficult and at times I've wanted to resign, it has taught me so much in my field (digital media) and I have learned so much. I feel one day soon, I may be able to apply what I have learned and channel it to do what I want to do, whether it's start my own business, freelance work, or venture into the scary world of online stuff.

At the very least you have a job and you have a source of income. So despite what I said before, the "safety net" can be a good thing. However, finding and exploring what you truly want to do is going to take time and dedication.

I still think you should document your five month adventure. Personally I think that would be epic.

Thanks a lot guys, this really did help.

I think you're right Craig, I should document the trip, if only for the sake of documentation. Which program is that? I'm sure I'll be able to get the hang of it (I'm trained as an editor after all).

You're right Urbs, looking around and seeing that people have shit figured out is always discouraging, but I try not to let it get to me. I'm not looking for the perfect job, I just want to do something that makes me feel like I'm useful. Being in TV is fun, and I enjoy the work, but at the end of the day I'm oh so replaceable and I just don't feel like I've accomplished anything. My job doesn't make me feel good about myself is what I'm getting at.

I think I will start up that documentary again, and I recently ran into an old writer friend, and we've been bouncing ideas off one another, so maybe something will happen there. I'm also not motivated at all, which I don't want to blame on my job, but it is a factor.

Once again, thanks for all the help guys.

Rakon said:
Thanks a lot guys, this really did help.

I think you're right Craig, I should document the trip, if only for the sake of documentation. Which program is that? I'm sure I'll be able to get the hang of it (I'm trained as an editor after all).

The Adobe Creative Suite is basically a bundle of multimedia programs used by professionals all over the world. It's industry standard. The programs in said bundle include Premiere (video editing), After Effects (special effects in video), Photoshop (graphic design/photo manipulation), Illustrator (graphic design), InDesign (more for books/print) and a few others. Regarding your video editing training, what program(s) did you use? If you use Final Cut for Mac, then you'll know Premiere, no worries.

CS2 was released back in 2005/2006 and nowadays, CS6 just recently came out. Make no mistake, CS2 is still a powerful and worthy program that's nothing to sneeze at. Considering the CS bundle is normally a very expensive product to buy, e.g. like a grand or two, and the CS2 is being released by Adobe themselves for free? That's a beauty. All these programs can be used and be blended with one another. I personally use Adobe CS at my job (granted at work, we run with CS5), pretty much utilizing all the programs. When working on GR Strips however, I just use Photoshop.

With your video, you should try and take the time to learn After Effects... it's awesome. It offers a lot to your videos for special effects, animation titles etc. It is quite complex to use, however...

http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/ - "Video Co Pilot.net" offers heaps of free video tutorials on how to use After Effects. The first link here is their ten step basic training course, to get the hang of the complex program.

http://www.videocopilot.net/ - Next is just the main site, which offers over a hundred and fifty video tutorials. For free.

I hope this helps, Rakon. :)

Ooooh its the entire suite. I know how to use a lot of these (not After Effects unfortunately), and I don't have this so I'll probably snag it.

As for filming, I was thinking of getting a tablet anyway. No way I'm travelling with an expensive camera.

Yup, it's the Creative Suite 2.

If you don't know After Effects, check out Video Copilot's video tutorials and with a bit of practice, man you'll know After Effects. :)

I hate to be the downer here but as I've said in similar posts, there are simply too many people and too little "dream" jobs to go around.

Now, I'm not saying to not try and go for it, by all means you should. I'm just saying that you should always try to have a backup plan in case things don't work out like you had hoped.

Having a job, whether it is one you love, or one you hate, should not be the thing that defines you as a person.

I have a family member who went to quite a few years to go to school for a fancy degree and got a nice paying job only to find out a few years in that she didn't like what she was doing. She tried to do a career change, accrued a massive amount of debt, and was never able make anything of the new career. Now she is back to doing what she was before only now with way more debt to pay off.

Moral of the story: The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

C_nate is pretty much right there. We can all have goals and "dreams" and by all means, we have every right to try and pursue them. If we succeed, that's fantastic, more power to us, however if we unfortunately fail, it's important to have a back up plan so that if we fail, we don't fall.

I'm not a hundred percent happy with my job and my dream job would be to try and do work online - YouTube videos, animation, comics, merchandise etc. My job though... it pays okay and it's permanent, so I do have a good thing going here and I'm not going to resign to pursue my dream. I have to try and pursue my dreams whilst working. If I succeed and succeed well with my dreams, then maybe I can consider leaving my current role.

The same goes for anyone else who wishes to pursue a dream. :)

I still have tangible skills and I can always go back to TV, but I just don't think there's much of a future here, and I also don't think I want to be a part of it.

I'm unhappy, and I want better. I don't need the perfect job, I just need more of a direction. Actually, oddly enough, one of the channels my station owns is going off-air at the end of the month. People with secure salaries and who have been here for a decade will be gone at the end of the month. What I'm starting to believe more and more is that the safe isn't necessarily safe.

I have skills that I can always use, but I feel like that doesn't mean that I should stick to something I don't like because I can.

And no brass rail for me Wicked, I can get herpes another time

Fair enough, Rakon.

I guess what you could do is start looking for another job, something you think you would enjoy and could use your skill set in. While looking for another job, keep your current job, again just as a safety net and a source of income until you can find something else, something better.

I wish I could say "Quit your job and follow your dreams", but I can't do that myself in my situation, so I won't suggest it to other people.

Find another job but keep working with what you've got, leave your current job once you secure a new role, follow your dreams and inspirations once you're in the second job.

And document that epic trip of yours.

^Is there a price range you would accept where you can "tolerate" work and then pursue your on interests in your spare time? And is it possible to get that level of $$$ in the industry/position you're currently in?

Could always look for part time work while you spend your free time doing other things, any goals/dreams you wish to try and achieve?

This might be ideal, but again you won't get as much income as you would with full time work, so it's really a question regarding if you can afford it or not.

Well as you know I'm going back to school to follow my dream. You're never too old to do what you want.

I got a degree in journalism and worked in book publishing ensuring clients received their orders. There was no writing or creativity involved at all and it's not what I wanted to do with my life. I was just in it because it paid well and was located 5 minutes from my apartment.

And then I got laid off... at a job I didn't even like. So Jim Carrey's speech speaks to me as well.

I like Craig's advice. Listen to him because that Aussie knows his shit.

And no Brass Rail? Ok then Vapour Lounge it is!

I'm sorry to hear you were laid off from your job, WickedLiquid. That's not good... but at the very least, you've taken the opportunity and made the decision to go back to school to follow what you wanna do, and that's really cool.

I'm sorry to ask and be ignorant (as you may have already said in previous threads' what you're up to) but what will you be studying upon your return to school?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle