Oh wise GRians help me choose college courses!

Wrestling...Bah!

So just when I had it figured out....

I don't know if I want to keep WR 121 this term or not. I was thinking of doing Math, Intro to Cultural Anthropology and history of western art (this one would e renaissance and baroque periods, 1300 and on)..Or keeping WR 121 and choosing between cultural anthro and art history.

So about that....

Wrestling is fine and all. I'm just tired of it being the go to thing in MMA right now. Oh well :(.

Oh and it wasn't Russian Lit. It was "Great Russian Writers". Because...You know...That's totally different. Oh well. It was only offered at a campus 30 minutes away. Not making that commute.

So... just to play the Devil's advocate here:

If your career plan doesn't require or benefit from College, why are you taking it? Don't get me wrong here, I love Education, I'm about to go back to University myself shortly and I'm extremely excited... but if you don't have a career plan that requires college... I'm just saying consider it.

If you're a father, and you have to pay rent, and child care, and feed and cloth your child, a full time job alone is going to make things somewhat tight, both financially and with regards to your time. Trying to fit School into that as well might not be possible. Ask yourself this, can you afford to do all the things you need to do AND go to college? Are you actually going to have the time you need to put into these courses so you have a decent GPA? There's nothing worse than going to college and flunking out because you didn't have time to get things done. That's a waste of both time AND money.

I have a friend, he's 24 now, like me. He went to college without having any real idea what he wanted to do... just took the courses he wanted to. He's got a Bachelor of Arts, Major in History. He has no freaking idea what he's going to do for a career. I have a second friend, same issue, Majored in English, no idea what he's going to do. Certainly there are doors that are open to them... but neither of them had a real plan for what they were going to do.

Going to college is great if it's a stepping stone to a career, it's also great if that's what you want to do and you have the time and money to do it... But it sounds like it might not be either of those things for you. I'm just saying, make sure you're going for the right reasons.

Yeah....As a father, I'm not about to make a horribly stupid decision that will leave us high and dry. I'm taking the courses because I realize I can't just walk on to the Fire Department. There will be 4500 other applicants. If I can't get on, I want an education to fall back on.

I generally advise taking Writing courses earlier on, but that opinion isn't overly strong. If you do decide to stick with the Writing course this semester, I would say to go with Art over Anthro. I think it'll balance the math and language better, although both subjects are great.

when i took intro to anthro in college it was the most mind numbingly easy course ever , i loved it. about 1/3rd of the way through the semester i just stopped going because i realized i didn't need to. i believe i got a 93. low 90's is all i know for sure.

I ended up with writing, bjj, math and history of western art. I didn't go with the anthropology course because the professor teaching it this term has a reputation for wanting essay style answers for homework, excessive details, giving dry lectures. I'll take it with another prof later on I think. I found the site ratemyprofessors and man...It is awesome!

Thanks for all the input as well guys. Saved me from taking the Russian writers class that's for sure!

In the end I'll have 13 credits this term but one being a PE course I doubt I'll suffer from work overload.

That's do-able. Does ratemyprofessor still have the hot rating?

Have fun and don't expect any help from any of us. We're so past doing each others homework...unless you're Piracer.

What level math?

....I'd rather not say.

And yeah they still have the hot rating. I wonder if they actually are hot though. I mean what if someone has a fetish for slightly chunky 50 year old female history teachers?

Sometimes I think it would be cool to be a math wiz - like engineer level of math ... But then I remember my calc 1 class and don't think it would be cool afterwards.

I know enough math to get by with what I need to do.
I won't pretend to know calculus or anything, but if you are interested in it go for it.

Yeah, math is just one of those things... I respect it immensely. And I'm always impressed by people who have that gift. It's just... not one of the talents I posses. =(

Rinnon said:
Yeah, math is just one of those things... I respect it immensely. And I'm always impressed by people who have that gift. It's just... not one of the talents I posses. =(

You and me both good sir. You and me both...

u know whats worst then math? Fucking chem.

Worst subject in the world, and the way they teach it here at Washington State University makes you want to slit your wrist. I've heard though that chem is shitty everywhere so maybe im just noob at it.

I would have thought 15 credits might be a bit much since your a dad, although i don't know how much time your kid(s) take up.

I would take a history course if your interested in that, i know i am although im doing a plant science major.

Is it a college or a university? If you're living in the states now, is it a community college or a college? I only ask because I know here that they only accept university graduates for firefighting/police and college (community college for you US folks) is just about useless.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod