Going to community college

piracer

Rookie
I was hoping to get into UC Davis but was rejected (i did however get into WSU) and am wondering whether its worth going to a community college and transfering from then on. Has anyone else done this?

I dunno the answer to your question, but which WSU did you get into? Washington State? Wichita State? Weber State? (I sure hope it's not Weber State...)

Nevertheless, congrats!

Oh right, i got into Washington State. I hear its still a pretty decent school though (God i hope it is) although according to www.unigo.com theres a sense of sterotypes and what not over there and my step-dad tells me that he area around Pullman used to be a KKK zone :S

Yeah, Pullman, Spokane.. Eastern Washington isn't the best area necessarily, but WSU is a pretty good school. What're you thinking of studying?
If Bellevue Community didn't turn into an actual four-year "college" last year, you could have came and gone there for a couple years. Hell, you coulda taken the guest room at my place too. Granted I'm in western Washington, ~5 hours away from WSU, but only 15 minutes or so from Bellevue or Seattle, where there must be a few community colleges around. Who knows?

Well the community colleges would have been in California... not Washington. Im hoping to study Viticulture and Enology, wine studies basically and considering Washington produces the 2nd largest amount of wine after Cali, seemed like a good enough of a place.

But cool, for once i might be in a same country as a fellow GRian.

Oh, sweet! Yeah, Eastern Washington is your place if you're into agriculture and wine.

And location-wise, out in Pullman you'd be pretty close to NickKmet if I'm not mistaken. Like, maybe N hour's drive away at the most.

Community colleges are great starting out points. If you don't know what you want to do you can go there for a couple of years, save yourself tens of thousands of dollars in tuition, take all the general education required classes, and then go to a real university. It's definitely a good stepping stone between high school and university, and a great way back into the school system if you've been out of it for a while

WINE studies?!!

WINE.......STUDIES!!?!

You're studying WINE!?? Haha!

What's this?.......Red.
And this?..........White.
Aaaaaand this?................Oh my God.....I DONT KNOW! It's like a mixture of both!!

66%. pass.

Depends what you want to do. Does the field of what you want to do look more highly upon a degree from a big-time university? Or is a degree from a community college good enough?

CC is cheaper, and for many, the extra money to go to a bigger university isn't necessary.

If anything, yeah, start out at a CC and then move on. You get the basics in, and it's cheaper overall.

It depends on what you want to do and what state you are attending community college.

For CC, most of the classes will be easier, and they are great to just focus your general education requirements on, thus getting you your AA degree without the bullshit. After that, it is fairly easy to transfer to whatever school you want.

In the state of Florida, if you received your AA at a Florida state institution, you can apply to any school and they are required to accept you. Just be warned that while the university has to accept you, the program might not.

Trust me, go to California, not Washington. Not only is it better, the weather isn't totally shitty.

Also, which part of California were you planning to go to? Because Fresno State has a great wine program. Just sayin'.

I have a better idea. Come to New Zealand and study viticulture in Marlborough, home of the best wine in the world (according to our tv adverts anyway) But seriously, there's some seriously good wine down here, and no one does making wine better than Kiwis, we take things easy here ;-)

Well i hear that Washington gets 2 hours more sunlight for the grapes then it gets in Cali. So it says on the website...

Well bugger for Fresno state then... applications are over by now. I guess i might as well go to WSU first and if i still wanna transfer, ill do it from there.

Demosthenes, i actually applied to Lincoln Uni for their wine program, got rejected :( The thing is i didn't take up biology or chem during my high school so i think they wouldnt let me in because of that.

With the first year of college being general education, i think thats the reason why WSU let me in. :S

Ah yes, that would make sense. Stupid American school system :D hahahaha

Well if you ever got the chance to do an exchange or something go for it. My extended family lives right next to all the biggest wineries in the area (winerys?) and you really couldn't pick a better place to study/work/live anywhere in the world.

Yes lie. There is no way that Boston is the least drunk city, and Chicago and SF are in the 85th percentile. End of discussion.

Anyways, to echo what people have said, community college can be a great starting off point, to do your general education classes and save a bundle. That being said, I would estimate that at least 85% of people I know who had a plan to "go to community college for a few semesters, get my grades up, then transfer to state school' ended up taking a semester's worth of classes, failing most of them, then dropping out to work in their dad's plumbing supply store (or some such similar course of action). Bottom line, have goals and have a plan, and you will do fine.

I can echo what has been said here. I went to community college for two years, had a 3.6, learned the general education well enough, but the work load doesn't compare to a university. I saved about $20,000, but my gpa did drop when I got to uni just because I was used to being able to do great without putting in as much work as the uni demanded. Just be ready for that transition when it comes and you won't regret community college.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod