Your life advice

intoTheRain

Regular
HEY GUYS

This is a thread I've wanted to make where all the GR crew can post little bits of wonderful information that could potentially make another GRians lives better. Little things you've learned throughout your time here on earth that maybe make you feel better, more confident, healthier, more energized, more motivated, etc. etc. etc.

Maybe we can all give everyone elses advice a shot and see how it works and report back in this thread! Just to get the thread rolling I'll give you some examples of what I'm talking about. It can range from extremely small, to extremely large. Whatever you've found has made you happier and improved your overall quality of life.

I'll start with 3 that I live by.

1) Eat lots of fiber. Honestly, I always heard this but figured hey I poop, I'm not constipated, why should I eat more fiber. Then I started eating bran flakes every morning, and every night, with 1 cup of frozen mixed berries. It's my night snack and my breakfast.

I poop on a timer now. And they're not just any poops, these poops are BODY emptying, leave you feeling fresh and alive poops. And I'm not saying this to be gross, or funny, I want it to be taken seriously. You can TELL how much healthier it makes you, your digestive tract just feels healthier, and clean.. weird I know, but honestly try it for 1-2 weeks. And it has to be some serious fiber like bran flakes. I always eat whole grain bread, lots of veggies etc. But it wasn't until I started eating 2-4 cups of bran flakes a day that miracles started happening.

2) Stay fit, get exercise. Even if it's 25 minutes a day 5-6 days a week, get outside, get on a treadmill, do whatever and make yourself sweat and get that heart rate up. The more you do the better, of course (well to an extent), but even 25 minutes a day, hell even 20, will make you look better, feel better, be more confident, have more motivation etc. The list goes on. Exercise is honestly to me, the base of a great life. It gives you all the tools to excel everywhere else.

3) Get sun. If it's sunny out, get off your ass and get outside. even if it's for 30 minutes, just sit in the sun and absorb that vitamin D. 30 minutes will not hurt you, unless you're currently of a vampiric complexion. If so start at 15 minutes and work your way up gradually. More than 30 minutes I wouldn't advise without sunscreen, (though I still do it and shouldn't), but 30 minutes is just great. The sun gives me SO much energy and makes me feel so good. Even if I've done nothing else that day, but got 30 minutes or so of sunshine, I'll feel good enough. Gives you color, makes most people more attractive, and gives you energy. Can't go wrong.

Right now I'm addicted to Diablo 3. But these are basically the three rules I MUST live by or I'd uninstall it. Despite playing many, many hours a day, I go to the gym (just got back), eat healthy, and get some sun (going outside after this post because it's a gorgeous day). These three things keep me feeling great and looking alive despite being addicted to a video game at the moment.

TL;DR

Eat lots of fiber
Get exercise
Get sunshine

POST YOURS

YOLO!!

Bahaha, I kid.

I can appreciate the sunshine tip. Countless times have I been sat inside playing games with the curtains drawn due to the sun glare, but after about 10 minutes the guilt overturns me and I end up reading outside.

I dont have any tips I'm afraid, or I cant think of any right now.

Although I have been watching my weight recently and have actually lost 1st 5lbs in about 9 months. The dealbreaker is water. If you constantly drink water throughout the day, especially just before mealtime, you find yourself eating less.
Also, the body stores a lot of water incase it needs to hydrate for whatever reason. In time your body will flush out the excess water since you have a constant supply from drinking water regularly, and you'll lose a bit of weight this way too. I dont feel like I'm changing my eating patterns, or like I'm sacrificing in anyway either. And much like your poop tip Rain, you feel...cleaner - probably to a lesser extent than yours, but still.

More of a weight loss tip but, if you need it - drink more water.

Be friends with your co-workers. From a networking perspective, the quality and value of your friendship increases exponentially every year, and it also makes going to work much more enjoyable.

Make your mother fucking bed,

It sounds stupid, but a menial task in the morning helps you wake up, allowing you to be more productive, and as a bonus, you'll sleep easier given that the made bed will be more comfortable than having blankets strewn about as you try and relax for the night

Good post ItR, I need to start being more healthy and I'll at least use those last two starting today. I'm also super messy, all my blankets are off my bed :(

I have tomorrow off work, I'm going to clean.

UghRochester said:
Mooch money off your parents as much as you can. Living on your own sucks.
Haha
IntoTheRain said:
1) Eat lots of fiber. Honestly, I always heard this but figured hey I poop, I'm not constipated, why should I eat more fiber. Then I started eating bran flakes every morning, and every night, with 1 cup of frozen mixed berries. It's my night snack and my breakfast.

I poop on a timer now. And they're not just any poops, these poops are BODY emptying, leave you feeling fresh and alive poops. And I'm not saying this to be gross, or funny, I want it to be taken seriously. You can TELL how much healthier it makes you, your digestive tract just feels healthier, and clean.. weird I know, but honestly try it for 1-2 weeks. And it has to be some serious fiber like bran flakes. I always eat whole grain bread, lots of veggies etc. But it wasn't until I started eating 2-4 cups of bran flakes a day that miracles started happening.
BRB, trying this.

I written out a long post but accidently closed my browser BAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

bnefjwebnf;woinbf;wohfnw;fn;nvln jnwld;knvk;nvjnv;jnvbjsfnv;rnsdv;jwsnbvj;sfvno;nhfwpoeinfw

Combined use of the running start program with a major that will give you viable career options without grad school (computer science or engineering) will allow you to get out of college with tame student loans.

Simple i know but i don't care how good your future looks as a doctor. Is anything worth 500k in student loan debt?

I am reminded of an old favorite game of mine, Betrayal at Krondor, because in the game there are puzzle boxes that had different riddles to which you would have to figure out the word that was the answer to open it. One riddle that always stuck with me was something along the lines of: (paraphrasing here)

Q:What is something that is readily given away for free without anyone having to ask for it and yet is something that almost no one takes or wants.
A:Advice

Always used to get a kick out of that one.

Anyway, god, there are so many ways to go with this one. Umm... Lets start with the most obvious:

Don't whiz on the electric fence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DugqPsSdc8E

Don't get high on your own supply
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJM8yJTn_I0

Wash your balls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPwhMoQBg_8

Use Protection
http://video.adultswim.com/robot-chicke ... tairs.html

Don't fuck with the people who handle and or prepare your food
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS79YzlFuL8

Be cool, stay in school
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkayCY5paMM

Masturbation reduces your chance of prostate cancer so make sure to rub one out once a day
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3072021.stm

I worked 3rd shift for many years and was sad to learn that it may cause caner. Don't work graveyard shifts!
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/200 ... ncer_N.htm

Drink alcohol, it makes you smarter
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/1 ... 20750.html

Treat others how you would like to be treated because Karma is a bitch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCkp8CWb ... re=related

Ok kids, those are all I can think of for now but that is more than enough to get you started down the road to a happy, well balanced, and meaningful life. For more life changing self help please call my psychic network. Only $1.99 a minute!

WickedLiquid said:
I written out a long post but accidently closed my browser BAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

bnefjwebnf;woinbf;wohfnw;fn;nvln jnwld;knvk;nvjnv;jnvbjsfnv;rnsdv;jwsnbvj;sfvno;nhfwpoeinfw

Life advice: Dont mess with the minimise/maximise buttons when writing long posts.

MattAY said:
WickedLiquid said:

Life advice: Dont mess with the minimise/maximise buttons when writing long posts.
He could have restored the previous session too :wink:

Icepick said:
Make your mother f****** bed,

It sounds stupid, but a menial task in the morning helps you wake up, allowing you to be more productive, and as a bonus, you'll sleep easier given that the made bed will be more comfortable than having blankets strewn about as you try and relax for the night
This is so incredibly true! For a while I wasn't bothering but then I started back up again. You wouldn't think it makes much of a difference but it really does.

MattAY said:
WickedLiquid said:

Best. Advice. EVAR.

To sum up what I said; be a yes man. Like that movie; Yes Man.

This doesn't mean putting your hand in your pocket for every ad, charity and sponsorship that comes your way. It just means never be afraid to try sometime no matter how spontaneous it is.

This way of thinking began when I overcame my fear of heights by zip-lining. It took a lot to get myself to do it but I did it and I felt great afterwards, like the best I've ever felt at anything.

UghRochester said:
Mooch money off your parents as much as you can. Living on your own sucks.

Haha it does suck but ive not relied on my parents at all since i was 18 and i feel so independent. My parents have done so much for me, i would prefer to spoil them now :p even if i dont have lots of money..

Uhm i agree with a lot of other posts, lots of water, eat lots of fruit, exercise daily, walk as much as you can rather than drive, have TRUST in your relationship and dont be clingy. I agree with icepick too about making your bed! And i also always make sure my room is clean before leaving for work, or anywhere. Its always nice to come home to a clean room (i would say house but i live in a shared house). You never know when you will have friends randomly drop by. Yes definitely get sunshine, especially coz england u dont get much of it so you have to take advantage while you can. Travel as much as possible. Dont let worry get in the way of what you love to do.. i waited years for friends to want to travel with me. In the end i gave up and travelled all over europe alone. Made so many more friends that now have similiar interests, to see the world. Put atleast £50 in savings every month, or more if you can afford it. Listen to all the advice you can get from your parents, because they have seen so much more than you and one day they will not be here to share things with you, and you will wish you listened more.... If you are not happy with something or someone, dont be scared to make a change. Dont worry about what people think of you. Just live to make yourself happy. There will always be people that judge you, but the ones that matter in life are the ones that will never judge you.

I could go on and on haha.....

Floss your teeth. Every. Single. Night.

It honestly isn't as bad as some people think it is, and it really doesn't take more than a few minutes. It is also totally worth it.

For a while I'd been having problems with my gums bothering me any time I had anything slightly acidic. Turns out, my gum had encroached on my tooth too much, I was getting food stuck in there, and it would get inflamed. Putting acid on that only made it hurt like a bitch. I started flossing every night about 3 weeks ago, for no particular reason really, and now that problem is gone.

Also helps with bad breath, and now I don't have to worry about getting a lecture from my dentist anymore when I go in!

intoTheRain said:
2) Stay fit, get exercise. Even if it's 25 minutes a day 5-6 days a week, get outside, get on a treadmill, do whatever and make yourself sweat and get that heart rate up. The more you do the better, of course (well to an extent), but even 25 minutes a day, hell even 20, will make you look better, feel better, be more confident, have more motivation etc. The list goes on. Exercise is honestly to me, the base of a great life. It gives you all the tools to excel everywhere else.

I really need to start exercising daily. I need to drop the pounds, but I've convinced myself I need to be doing super intensive and time consuming shit if i'm going to do it at all. Maybe I'll take your advice ItR and start with 20 minutes a day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle