Martial Arts - Do you train?

Master_Craig said:
Not to sound rude but I kinda disagree with what your father said. I believe you won that fight regardless - because the other kid's mentality, was to give up. He couldn't take it, he didn't want to continue, he gave up, you however were willing to continue and see the fight to the end, win or lose. To me, that sounds like a win.

Despite how brutal boxing looks, in my opinion there is a finesse to it and it can look pretty elegant.

Firstly - COMBO BREAKER

and secondly, it sounds harsh, but it's important to stay grounded, no point in feeling like a world beater, especially when it was the other kids first fight as well as mine, he was proud, but wanted to make sure it didn't go to my head

I've trained in Shaolin-do Kung Fu for 8 years now. Think Jackie Chan/Donnie Yen before Jet Li (Wushu), a more martial style than the flashy moves. That said I'm also taking gymnastics now to be able to preform some flips and ariels needed..

I took Judo for 4 months and loved it, but classes were the same time as college classes and had to stop. Had a friend that had started Kung Fu and tried that school out. Stayed with it since.

I had just come out of a major depression, and wanted to improve myself physically. Before I only cared about the mind, sacrificing exercise, social activity, pretty much everything for knowledge. After I snapped out, started martial arts as a way to work out while still using the mind (where to hit, stances, next move, and memorizing the kata). I'm now in great shape, practice 5 days a week, and am much more confident. Also, I'm more efficient at learning as my health was inhibiting my energy levels etc. See mind-body connection for my thoughts on this.

Craig, a bit jealous of your 4 years of Judo. Groundwork is not something we do in Kung Fu much, and our sweeps are no where as elegant as the throws. I also really liked break-falling and being thrown... maybe the same kind of rush as cliff jumping and skydiving for me. If I cross-train later on, the top of my list is Hun-gar, Judo, or Aikido.

MasterRabbi said:
I've trained in Shaolin-do Kung Fu for 8 years now. Think Jackie Chan/Donnie Yen before Jet Li (Wushu), a more martial style than the flashy moves. That said I'm also taking gymnastics now to be able to preform some flips and ariels needed..

I took Judo for 4 months and loved it, but classes were the same time as college classes and had to stop. Had a friend that had started Kung Fu and tried that school out. Stayed with it since.

I had just come out of a major depression, and wanted to improve myself physically. Before I only cared about the mind, sacrificing exercise, social activity, pretty much everything for knowledge. After I snapped out, started martial arts as a way to work out while still using the mind (where to hit, stances, next move, and memorizing the kata). I'm now in great shape, practice 5 days a week, and am much more confident. Also, I'm more efficient at learning as my health was inhibiting my energy levels etc. See mind-body connection for my thoughts on this.

Craig, a bit jealous of your 4 years of Judo. Groundwork is not something we do in Kung Fu much, and our sweeps are no where as elegant as the throws. I also really liked break-falling and being thrown... maybe the same kind of rush as cliff jumping and skydiving for me. If I cross-train later on, the top of my list is Hun-gar, Judo, or Aikido.

Wow, Kung Fu for eight years? That sounds awesome. If you've been doing it for eight years you must be pretty good at it and you must enjoy it. :)

I think that's awesome how your martial arts has improved so much about you. Your fitness and health, your self confidence and general mentality. That's great. :)

About the Judo, it's funny how break falling is actually... a very useful and realistic skill, once learned and trained. Dumb example but... I went out one night for a friend's birthday, got really drunk. The most morning I wake up, I stand up and I slip on the floor of my bed room (tile floor). I fell over and actually did a break fall without thinking. It didn't hurt, but my hang over was KILLING me. :p

Noritama said:
Gun, Don't need that fancy smancy dancing moves.

Gun Kata? :D

I've been training Combat Sambo and Systema Russia for about five years now, only ever had to use them once outside of basic sparring and training. They're nice arts, integrate well (probably because they're both military arts), and they're pretty damn effective. Useful against muggers, too.

Started training at sixteen, now I'm more physically fit (still a small kid, though) and I can defend myself. Improved me mentally, too. I'm more disciplined and calm then I ever used to be.

I regularly train with a handgun too, but I'd trust myself to take someone down with my hands before I could ever shoot a person. *shudder*

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod