Martial arts

maca2kx

Rookie
I'm fairly sure most of you are unaware that I have been studying for karate for around 10 years. Today was the grading for my 2nd Dan black belt and I passed (of course, else this would be a depressing topic). While you might be thinking this is a shameless back patting topic (and you'd be right) it's also because I'm interested in finding out if any of you practice any martial arts. I do Shotokan karate but I know people who practice Aikido, Judo and so on. So how about you lot?

The only kung-fu I know is "kick the gangsta in the balls." And if that doesn't work, gently yank his pants down that are already around his knees and try it again.

But hey, congrats Maca on your pretentious thread :wink:

No good job, seriously.

I did karate as a kid and had an instructor who looked similar to Danny McBride.

Nothing since then but I saw a video of a "knifehand" strike knocking someone out so I've been reading up on how to do that.

Have you ever been in a situation where you had to use your bad ass karate skills. If yes, how badly did you get your ass beat?

Nice job Maca.

Being a devout pacifist/wimp, I never did any martial arts stuff. I considered doing some judo type stuff, but decided that it wasn't for me.

I am considering buying a gun though. Does that count?

I've been going to a taichi class for the pass 6 month, does that work? Sun style to be exact.

Never did anything with a belt system. I did wrestling and a Sambo-based grappling class. Nothing better than seeing your hardwork pay off in excellent technique on the mat.

I for one will give you mad props. My friend worked really hard to get several degrees into a black belt in Japanese Kempo. I don't know how your belt reviews are, but his were intense.

Also, seeing as I've watched him crumple a dude with one kick, Lok, I wouldn't say they're useless skills, you just have to apply them correctly and not bust out a "crane kick". Plus, it's not about fighting for a lot of people. Not everybody has to beat someone up to feel big.

im doing capoeria casually which is fun. They have a very loose belt system but its a pretty chilled sport so far. i hear its different from school to school and the one im in emphasizes on having fun and not trying to actually maim or kill someone.

When I was younger I did Taekwondo when I was younger and Akido/Hapkido but none really stuck, I did take boxing serious enough to have a couple amateur bouts but nothing significant

And before anyone jumps in, boxing is a martial art

You guys may or my not remember (probably not) but I did tae kwon do way back when. I won a ton of tournaments all while making it to 2nd degree black. I slowed down when I was round 18-19, when there was nothing more I could do except train for nationals, but I also realized drinking and smoking was a lot more fun than getting the crapped kicked out of me 6 days a week.

I did Taijutsu until I moved about 5 years ago. I was four ranks away from black belt after being a student for about 5 years. I'm glad that you've been devoted enough to rank that high...now if only you'd be more active here. <_<

Congrats Sam. Definitely takes dedication and discipline to get there.

I used to dabble in bjj but haven't done ANY in YEARS. Yes, caps lock were necessary. We recently got a new guy on our team at work though who's doing some amateur MMA fights, starting to get offered pro fights. He has a BJJ and wrestling background so he's kind of inspiring me to start back up again and I may be getting some training in at the gym he trains at. We'll see what happens though. I'd love to start doing it again and would love to do at least an amateur fight before I'm too old.

WickedLiquid said:
The only kung-fu I know is "kick the gangsta in the balls." And if that doesn't work, gently yank his pants down that are already around his knees and try it again.

That sounds like all martial...no art.

I'm thinking of trying to start Aikido. Can anyone share some light on this sport for me? It's a grapple defensive based one yes?

Saw some videos on the net and it kinda grew on me. :)

Congrats Maca, good on you for sticking to it.

I stopped at my 5th Sho belt, a Green with stripes, in the Goju-Ryu system. Was two years ago now. I still practice what I know, but I don't have the time to go back anymore because of work taking too much time for formal lessons.

I'm a "martial artist" fo real!

8470e74c2f7b4047f3da067035ca29e5.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod