Sports and Exercise - What do you/would you like to do?

intoTheRain said:
i wish i'd got into power lifting, i have a very good frame for it. too late now though. and i'm ok with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDtArt5n1cM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSRHphNuIvw

my two favorite power lifters.... so OP

Dan greene is a fukkin beast and Klokov is in another universe

I've heard of Dan Greene. I've got a few mates who went to the power lifting nationals here in Australia and they all report the same thing - he's an animal. In a good way. :p

This Klokov fella. Yeah, he's a monster. Clean and jerking over 230 kg? Holy. Crap. Absolute monster.

C_nate said:
I just got myself one of those activity trackers the other day. Starting off slow, walked 2 1/2 miles today. Felt pretty good.

Then I went home and had 4 slices of pizza for dinner....fuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkk

Nice work C_nate, good on you man. :) Starting is tricky but at the very least, you've started. The four slices of pizza isn't too good however, I do understand your plight - and I would have done the exact same thing. :p

Master_Craig said:
C_nate said:
I just got myself one of those activity trackers the other day. Starting off slow, walked 2 1/2 miles today. Felt pretty good.

Then I went home and had 4 slices of pizza for dinner....fuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkk

Nice work C_nate, good on you man. :) Starting is tricky but at the very least, you've started. The four slices of pizza isn't too good however, I do understand your plight - and I would have done the exact same thing. :p

I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to proper diet. I grew up eating comfort food, all I know how to cook is comfort food.

When I think of eating healthy, I think it means I have to eat plain grilled chicken breasts and plain salads and drink water for the rest of my life.

I just bought a month of unlimited CF because why not. One of my wife's friends has been ding it for years, her husband finished 2nd or 3rd in the first Crossfit games, and we know a few people who do it. It's worked really well for them. The only downside is because it's seen such a boon in popularity, some locations don't have the most educated instructors, they're instructors who just got the most basic certification to train others and they opened a spot. I had to do a lot of research to find a reputable place. We'll see how it goes. I got a groupon. No way am I paying 170 a month for what is supposed to be minimalist training.

Green_Lantern said:
btw....that "Klokov fella" has began doing Cross fit workouts...

That son of a-

Well. At the very least he can dead lift properly. :p

C_nate said:
I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to proper diet. I grew up eating comfort food, all I know how to cook is comfort food.

When I think of eating healthy, I think it means I have to eat plain grilled chicken breasts and plain salads and drink water for the rest of my life.

It is possible to have healthy food that tastes nice, but I understand where you're coming from. It is a difficult transition. Finding healthy food that's actually pleasant and enjoyable to eat can be tricky too.

When I was younger I used to pretty much eat nothing but junk food. Salads and vegetables tasted disgusting to me, like it would make me nearly sick. When I think back on that, I honestly think "The hell was wrong with me?" because that doesn't sound right at all.

It's hard, but it's certainly doable. Does take a bit of time and persistence. There's also a lot of healthy, nice tasting foods and recipes available online.

I also think that you don't have to eat healthy food ALL the time to be healthy. I like to have one, or two days a week where I can indulge myself in some junk food (mainly the weekend). Just helps to enjoy and treat myself, try to keep myself sane and it helps with social scenarios, like going to a friend's place to eat pizza and watch movies, or going out for lunch/dinner.

Master_Craig said:
Green_Lantern said:
btw....that "Klokov fella" has began doing Cross fit workouts...

That son of a-

Well. At the very least he can dead lift properly. :p

C_nate said:

It is possible to have healthy food that tastes nice, but I understand where you're coming from. It is a difficult transition. Finding healthy food that's actually pleasant and enjoyable to eat can be tricky too.

When I was younger I used to pretty much eat nothing but junk food. Salads and vegetables tasted disgusting to me, like it would make me nearly sick. When I think back on that, I honestly think "The hell was wrong with me?" because that doesn't sound right at all.

It's hard, but it's certainly doable. Does take a bit of time and persistence. There's also a lot of healthy, nice tasting foods and recipes available online.

I also think that you don't have to eat healthy food ALL the time to be healthy. I like to have one, or two days a week where I can indulge myself in some junk food (mainly the weekend). Just helps to enjoy and treat myself, try to keep myself sane and it helps with social scenarios, like going to a friend's place to eat pizza and watch movies, or going out for lunch/dinner.

it is easy to make healthy food that tastes good. it is not so easy to make healthy food that satisfies cravings. i can eat extremely clean all week, and make absolutely delicious meals. but by the end of it my body so badly craves an extremely greasy, cheesy hamburger, fries, and ice cream. soi can relate to the comfort food thing.

also when I first got my license the biggest feeling of freedom was being able to drive 25 minutes into town and go through the drive thru and order whatever the fuk I wanted from fast food places my parents would never take me to.

so whenever stressed, i have the biggest urge in the world to eat shitty fast food, because my brain so vividly remembers those feels. getting off a shitty day at work, and being "free" to do whatever I want. driving in my car.... you know the rest.

I didn't get my driver's license until I was twenty two years old. Yes, I was very lazy back in the day but I do understand the freedom behind it. In all honesty, if I didn't lose the weight and change my ways, if I was still unhealthy and overweight, I bet you so much I still wouldn't have my driver's license.

My initial weight gain was in my teenage years. I used junk food as a comfort food. I've talked about it before (and I apologize if people roll their eyes at this if I'm a broken record) but I was bullied pretty viciously in school for a long time... I dunno, about five years or so? During this time, I kinda became a social shut in and preferred staying inside playing video games, going on the Internet etc. I live in a very humid, tropical place, so I preferred staying indoors because outdoors, I would sweat so much, for not doing anything.

I ate a lot of junk food because it was a comfort food. Despite the fact it was actually making my health worse, it tasted good and made me feel better and less miserable. That and it was easy, so easy. Have money in your wallet? Go to the school canteen/cafeteria and buy some terrible, but delicious food and drinks.

I can't believe how ironic it is... I remember my mum would often talk to me back then about my weight. Now, I know from first hand experience, when you talk to someone about their weight, they can become very emotional and defensive. They feel you are "attacking" them when in all honesty, they're not. They're trying to help you, but approaching someone about their weight is very hard. That's exactly how I felt, "attacked". Ironically, my folks would try and discuss my weight, I would get upset, and then resort to junk food to make myself feel better. Dangerous cycle...

I transferred schools when I was sixteen and most of the bullying stopped, but I continued the life style because it was easy. Plus my friends would like to hang out at places like McDonalds or Hungry Jacks (Australia's Burger King). Junk food was just everywhere, not that expensive and it was readily available. Sure, I didn't drive back then but it didn't matter! It was still easy to obtain.

Healthy food to me tasted terrible, to the point that it would make me sick, and honestly now that I think back on it, that was so pathetic of me.

I still use junk food as a source of comfort food, particularly in times of stress, like you intoTheRain. I remember nearly four years ago, I was training for the Australian University Games of Sport, I was to represent my university and compete in judo in the men's -100 kg division. I was spending two months to drop some weight and prepare, because I didn't want to "cut" weight because "cutting weight" sucks.

About a month or so away from the competition, a lot of bad stuff started to happen... one of my best friends was going to pass away, she was in palliative care at the hospital. Meanwhile, my grandmother was also in palliative care at the same time and was right across the hall from my friend. So I would visit my grandmother, then after I would go across the hall and visit my friend.

It was one of the worst times in my life, and I remember just gauging myself on junk food all the time during that period.

So... while I do try and eat healthy most of the time, in times of stress, distress or whatever you wanna call it, I will fall back on junk food and binge on it basically. :/

Thread bump for all the new year's resolution people.

I hit a 152kg back squat last night. Could've probably gotten up to 160, but I called it there. Still pretty pleased.

I have jogged 15 miles/week for the last two weeks. Feels good until I have to go up the stairs from the basement.

Bench is my weakest lift but I managed to bench 110kg before leaving for Japan.

I will lose all the gains.

I grew up playing sports, football, martial arts, and track. I was going to run track for BGSU but they canceled the guys track team and only left the girls track team so I said no..lol

I have been lifting since the 8th grade, not a bulky guy by any means about 6'0 175lbs, but im ripped. I kinda of have to be because im in the Army Infantry.

If you are trying to do something that is fun and you get a really good workout in, try crossfit. But make sure they know what they are doing, you want trained instructors not just the kid off the block. You want someone who can help you create a healthy diet, and know's how to target certain areas on your body. I do my own form of crossfit to help with the demands from the military.

If you want to burn some fat, get back into swimming!

gopstopper said:
If you are trying to do something that is fun and you get a really good workout in, try crossfit.

KoreanThisFuckingGuy.jpg

The world hates you.

UrbanMasque said:
gopstopper said:
If you are trying to do something that is fun and you get a really good workout in, try crossfit.

KoreanThisFuckingGuy.jpg

The world hates you.

Hey now, I mentioned on the first page I've been crossfitting for about 7 months. It's a great workout and really only gets a bad rap due to bad coaches. If you have a good coach it's really great.

I'm not a fan of the idea of cross fit and while I do pay it out every now and then, I'm not going to argue with the results that some people achieve through it (as well as diet).

I agree with Green_Lantern, cross fit could be a good exercise to do as long as you're learning and training under a good, qualified coach. If you're running under some random who gets their programs off the Internet, that could be a problem.

It's like any sport or exercise really. If you're learning and training under someone with knowledge, experience and who actually knows what they're talking about, you'll be fine. If not, you're gonna have a bad time.

Speaking of training, I've determined that my trip to Japan has made me lose a lot of strength. Sure, I've lost a bit of weight and I've gained endurance, but I can't lift nearly as much as I used to, which is a huge shame.

I've looked at my weights program and I'll be going back a few steps, which sucks, but I'll be better for it in the long run.

i'll tell you what. You want a workout that will shred fat and get you shredded? Do this...if you can. This was one of the toughest workouts I have ever had. I did this last weekend for PT in the Army and I was still sore 5 days after.

Get a deck of cards. Shuffle them. Go to a track or a area where you can run about 100m.

Diamonds = Diamond Pushups
Hearts = Regular Pushups
Spade = Air Squat
Clubs = Situps
2's = 20 burpee's
every 10 cards sprint 100m
Ace's = 15

once shuffled, flip a card. Lets say it lands on 9 of diamonds. You will do 9 diamond pushups. Then right after you are done, flip the next card. Go through the deck 2 times. I dont think any of you will be able to do it.

gopstopper said:
I dont think any of you will be able to do it.

That's a bit of an arrogant assumption, man. Have a little faith!

Regarding WickedLiquid's exercise, I could totally get in on that.

Haha, I DO want to exercise I'm just too damn busy. Ever since I went back to university I have to juggle school and a job and homework and manage my own apartment.

I told myself I would get to school 1 hour early every morning and use their gym. But try telling that to me when I wake up at 6am, look outside at ten feet of snow in the frozen darkness, look back at my warm cozy bed, and go back to sleep for another hour.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod