What other websites do you frequent?

Optimus-Crime said:
I haven't checked in on GR's home page in years. I don't know any of the reviewers here, unless Daniel's a reviewer, but of course I wouldn't know. It's not a knock on Daniel or GR, I'm just set in my ways and I never read GR even when dUKE was in charge. The most I read was the Mailbag when Duke ran it, and the infamous Survivor review. I'm not old school GR, I'm old school Gamepost. When I say I frequent GR, I mean I frequent gamerevolution.com/forum

I was the opposite back then. I used to love coming here for the reviews and had no idea they even had a forums. They had some pretty hilarious reviewers back then.

Now it's the reverse. Looking at the home page you can hardly tell they even do reviews anymore. It isn't featured prominently anywhere. It's mostly news blurbs about this or that or previews which to me is no different than a movie trailer in that it is supposed to get you hyped up to buy rather than objectively discuss the pros and cons of buying it. So now I just head for the forums and read reviews at places where that is the main focus.

uh, put your mouse on "games" at the top, click more reviews.

Now you have all reviews.

I don't think the front page should have only reviews on it. Maybe you're wanting a giant "REVIEW" logo on the review links? I mean when you scroll over games it has a column just for reviews, I'd say thats prominent. I constantly hear Daniel talk about giving games fair scores based on game price and the pros and cons of the game. Jonathan tells the truth about MMOs and creates the perfect shitstorm for telling the truth(The secret world).

I currently agree with the way the front page is used. New content including reviews.

Back to the topic of the thread.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/

Yeah, I know how to find the reviews, that isn't the point. The point was this was a site where reviewing games used to be the main focus. Would you say that is the main focus of the site currently? I would say no. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Well, that is debatable depending on your point of view.

I would argue that there are a dozen sites that aggregate gaming news, so what makes this one stand out from the others? I'm not trying to bash the site, just asking a question. I mean, news is news. 2,5,7,9 all report the same shit but people watch whichever anchors they like the best, get what I'm saying?

They still have some good reviewers but when they shifted the focus away from reviews and became more of a generic gaming news site they lost a little of what made the place unique, to me, anyway, which is why I said I hang around the forums now instead of the front page like I used to.

Oh and umm... www.huffingtonpost.com

Sites I visit on a daily basis:

Dailykos.com - for all my political news, and often times general news (and yes, I know it's very liberal and not neutral in the slightest)

lookoutlanding.com
ussmariner.com
seattletimes.com
All three of these are to satisfy my baseball fix. I'm a big baseball fan.

Recently I've been reading a lot of Kotaku at work. and Cracked.

avclub.com - TV and Movie news/reviews. Probably the best and most comprehensive weekly reviewing of TV shows available.

NickKmet said:
Sites I visit on a daily basis:

Dailykos.com - for all my political news, and often times general news (and yes, I know it's very liberal and not neutral in the slightest)

lookoutlanding.com
ussmariner.com
seattletimes.com
All three of these are to satisfy my baseball fix. I'm a big baseball fan.

Recently I've been reading a lot of Kotaku at work. and Cracked.

avclub.com - TV and Movie news/reviews. Probably the best and most comprehensive weekly reviewing of TV shows available.

Only place you need to go for baseball news is http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com

ya lefty. Has daily kos even had any news over the last month?

That's right. 8)

I agree with C_Nate, Sourdeez you weren't here for the golden age of GR, the forums were busy, the reviews always late but well worth it, and opinion pieces were few and far in-between but exquisitely written

Now, the reviews have taken a back seat and hit a cookie cutter approach, where most games score a similar score, back then games would be torn to bits in the review, not because they were jaded, but GR stressed quality over quantity. News is pumpped out on such a frequent basis that none of it is really note worthy, interesting or insightful, and opinion pieces are everywhere, but there's no punch behind it, it's as if GR is afraid to offend anyone (obviously there are a couple exceptions, but that grows more as a result of over zealous fanboys than regarding the content of the article)

GR's homepage is dead to me, and it used to be the first thing I'd visit.

You are correct I was not on the forums or posting comments in the past. But I had been reading reviews and cheats here since 1998.

I miss that demolition derby car that was the front page. I still tell Daniel we should bring it back but I always get told people would hate it.

Another website I visit daily.
http://digg.com/
Its gone a bit downhill in the past few years though.

Icepick said:
I agree with C_Nate, Sourdeez you weren't here for the golden age of GR, the forums were busy, the reviews always late but well worth it, and opinion pieces were few and far in-between but exquisitely written

Now, the reviews have taken a back seat and hit a cookie cutter approach, where most games score a similar score, back then games would be torn to bits in the review, not because they were jaded, but GR stressed quality over quantity. News is pumpped out on such a frequent basis that none of it is really note worthy, interesting or insightful, and opinion pieces are everywhere, but there's no punch behind it, it's as if GR is afraid to offend anyone (obviously there are a couple exceptions, but that grows more as a result of over zealous fanboys than regarding the content of the article)

GR's homepage is dead to me, and it used to be the first thing I'd visit.

Opinions are a funny, aren't they? I find GR a bit better these days, oh well.

Non-gaming sites... aintitcool.

Does Google count?

Uh... Deviantart, and CGHub.
Paizo.com
Fantasy Flight Games

I don't internet that much these days but here is my usual websites:

reddit.com
4chan.com (I'm kinda weaning from that website, too many god damn depressed people with issues there)
bbc.co.uk
my.umbc.edu

Other sites I frequently look at...

News.com.au and Ninemsn.com.au - I usually check these out in the morning at work.

Facebook - Only when I'm on my home computer.

Penny-Arcade - I usually browse and lurk the forums there but rarely post. I also read the actual web comic every Monday, Wednesday and Friday and recently am keeping up with the Strip Search reality show on PATV.

Nerd Fitness - A forum I recently joined up to, as the title suggests, it's about nerds and fitness, both of which I do.

DeviantART - I have a love/hate relationship with this place. On one hand you've got many amazing, talented artists who inspire others, but on the other hand it can be a very dark place on the Internet (really creepy people, really creepy and messed up fat furry fetish crap, over abundance of fan art etc).

YouTube - Seriously. Who doesn't? Videos and music!

9Gag and Reddit - Just to find funny pictures.

FrozenBacon said:
I don't internet that much these days but here is my usual websites:
reddit.com
4chan.com (I'm kinda weaning from that website, too many god damn depressed people with issues there)
bbc.co.uk
my.umbc.edu

How are we such good friends exactly?

Lethean said:
How are we such good friends exactly?
4chan isn't just /b/. I used to chill on /o/ all the time, and me and some sydney bros met up a couple times and did a few cruises.

Also, the guys on /wg/ are photoshop gods.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle