Sports and Exercise - What do you/would you like to do?

There's a taekwondo place about two blocks away from where I live, so I'm considering doing that. Y. K. Kim taught me that it is the best way to achieve world peace, so I'm all for that.

Though there is a gym that's even closer, but that shit is expensive.

I'm in a fight club. Our rules 1 & 2 are to tell everyone about our fight club and to bring your own fucking towel, for Christ's sake!

I'll have you know, i work out every day.

I'm going to get that fucking cult of personality achievement if it kills me and the guitar.

HK-47 said:
It increases your flexibility and balance, but can't really do the super advanced stuff too well. Did notice an increase in not getting winded as easily and I actually do feel a bit more flexible after doing it.

The fire in your joints, the fire in your thighs, in your shins, in your leg as you hold the pose, but you'll bend like fire as you slenderize your physique.

I've heard Yoga is super good for people. I really like the idea of Yoga. To be honest I've wanted to try it but I think I'm being lazy and telling myself "I don't have time" when technically I sort of do. I suppose I just want free time to do other things, just in case I want to. I've read and watched a lot of videos and articles and stuff about Yoga and it blows my mind.

At the very least, I do some Yoga stretches/poses, but not many. I just do them with my other stretches, usually after a judo session and before a gym session. After judo I try to stretch as much of my body as I can, before gym however I just stretch the muscles that I'll primarily be using (so if I'm gonna do squats, I'll stretch my legs).

Sightless said:
Yoga is another one of things to be wary of, not just because of cultural appropriation, but also because it asks you to voluntarily and routinely put your body in abnormal positions, which can put a lot of unnoticed strain on your body. Yoga instructors are certified, sure, but many programs that certify instructors don't actually require the person to understand physiology or kinesiology to a significant extent. You may spend 10-20 hours studying "anatomy", but this could include "energy physiology" -- i.e., not your actual body movement/positioning.

So I have a bit of a negative view of yoga, at least as it's come into the scope of the western world. Not to say that you shouldn't try it, like. I just mean people should either *actually* study yoga as a whole and in depth, or if you're just going to do some stretches, just call it doing some fucking stretches.

I think that like any sport or form of exercise, there would always be some risk of some sort. Regarding Yoga, I would like to think (or hope really) that the certified instructors would be aware that some people may not be able to do what they're asked to do. For example, I doubt new students and beginners to Yoga would be asked to try and perform complex and difficult poses/stretches, I would hope that would be slowly built up over time and practice. I also believe when it comes to starting an exercise, sport or martial art, it's very important for the students to tell the instructors if they have any problems to begin with that may hinder their progress.

For example, I get absolutely furious when people rock up to our judo club and don't tell us about any particular injuries they're carrying. Suddenly they get hurt, then they complain "I've got a <injury here> because of <story here>". Basically, it's up to both sides to be responsible. That's what I think anyway. Sorry if I sound a bit insensitive, don't mean to.

I also think there's nothing wrong with saying you do a bit of casual Yoga, so to speak. A lot of stretches that are performed for general exercise and sport aren't in Yoga, and Yoga does have some pretty good stretches/poses. It might sound silly, but I do a few stretches/poses stolen from Yoga after a judo session and I find it's very helpful. Each to their own I guess. :)

I do agree though... I hope that Yoga instructors would have some knowledge about the human body, other than what they've learned in Yoga. I know a few judo coaches who have degrees and qualifications in things such as exercise and sports science, so they know a fair bit about the body and exercise... so I would hope Yoga instructors would do something similar. All instructors in general (a bit hypocritical on my part, as I coach kids but I lack qualifications like that).

Sightless said:
At home, I will do pushups/crunches/stretches, now and then, but I don't push myself to do more. I should say that I'm not actively trying to make a workout routine or anything. It's more just that doing those activities can feel refreshing.

That's fair enough. :) It's up to you what you do, but I'm glad you do something. I think it's important that people do something and try the best they can. The reason I think "programs" are so good is because they give us direction and goals, and by achieving those goals we become fitter, stronger and healthier and in turn, can develop new goals to surpass.

I'm sorry to sound like a real Nazi about it but the reason I feel so strongly about health and exercise is simply because when I was inactive (e.g. did no exercise and ate a lot of bad food) I seriously paid the price for it and it could have lead me down a seriously dangerous path.

Sightless said:
I know, people keep telling me it's never too late, but I feel like once you're past your teens/school age, you're stuck in that place where you can't really take kids classes, and you don't really want to take "adult" classes. Sure some places are "all ages", but I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of kids and their parents. :p

I'll just look everything up on youtube, right? ._.

It really, seriously never is too late! :) When I took up judo, even though I trained in the "senior" class, it was a mix of teenagers and young adults. I started at age twenty one got my arse handed to me by seventeen and eighteen year olds. In today's class, we have a mix of ages... teenagers, young adults, people in their mid/late twenties and even a couple of people in their forties. Either way, never too late. :) I know this as a fact.

Please don't look things up on YouTube :p. Some YouTube tutorials are great, but for learning martial arts? Big no no. Martial arts should be taught from someone who knows what they're doing, face to face, preferably with a partner and/or equipment.

I remember one kid at judo watched on YouTube how to do a throw called "Tomoe Nage" (the catapult looking throw Ryu does in Street Fighter). He hadn't been taught it at all in judo, he just watched the video - picture related.

c7f1f33fc317db5f0c48d0007a57ac79.jpg

Anyway. The idea is that you've gotta place your foot on their hip, then you basically drop down to your arse, almost in between their feet, and catapult them over. Yeah well, this kid just straight out kicked his opponent in the balls. It was terrible. Terribly funny.

Sightless said:
Crossfit became such a weird explosionhere, and I'm not sure it's all that healthy. Some crossfit programs seem too intense, or seem like it's too easy to push too hard and injure yourself. The culture of crossfit clubs can enforce that drive too. Of course all of that is fine when you know what you're doing, and knowledge+caution and all that.

I'm not a big fan of Cross Fit either, but that's only because of what I've heard. I've never taken Cross Fit, so I know I can't bag on it too much. I guess my only beef with it is I don't like the idea of doing Olympic style lifting and doing it repetitively with little to no rest, to me that seems like the potential to cause injury. I don't think the joints would enjoy that too much. Regardless, I've seen people who said to have gotten excellent results from their Cross Fit training, so maybe it depends on who is running the show and how they train people?

Sightless said:
I wish it were more acceptable to play on playgrounds. I came to a really sad realization that once I graduated, it really wasn't okay for me to go back to elementary school playgrounds... Some years ago, I went back with a bunch of friends to my old elementary school. Granted, it was "past dark", although not really that late -- not past nine, I think -- a police officer came up with a flashlight and started questioning us, saying we couldn't be here after dark. I was devastated, because where else am I supposed to go if I want to swing on a swingset?? Where else can I play keep away or don't touch the lava, or sit on top of a series of uneven bars? :(

My friends and I played on play equipment once at night, it was a lot of fun. We were lucky to not get in trouble. :p

Longo_2_guns said:
There's a taekwondo place about two blocks away from where I live, so I'm considering doing that. Y. K. Kim taught me that it is the best way to achieve world peace, so I'm all for that.

Though there is a gym that's even closer, but that shit is expensive.

Taekwondo would be cool. Learn how to snap people in the face with your feet :p And regarding gyms, that's what I hate about a lot of gyms, very expensive... my gym costs me $25 AUD a fortnight (about $23 USD), which I think is cheap as... problem with it though is it's a family run gym with no "employees", so their hours are normal business hours really.

Optimus-Crime said:
I'm in a fight club. Our rules 1 & 2 are to tell everyone about our fight club and to bring your own fucking towel, for Christ's sake!

508_towelie.gif

madster111 said:
I'll have you know, i work out every day.

I'm going to get that fucking cult of personality achievement if it kills me and the guitar.

Tank!

Sports? Sure, I play sports.Currently I'm working on going pro in MMA but I've taken a year off. My record is something like 11-1.

In UFC Undisputed 3.

I'm kind of a badass like that.

Master_Craig said:
HK-47 said:
It increases your flexibility and balance, but can't really do the super advanced stuff too well. Did notice an increase in not getting winded as easily and I actually do feel a bit more flexible after doing it.

The fire in your joints, the fire in your thighs, in your shins, in your leg as you hold the pose, but you'll bend like fire as you slenderize your physique.

I've heard Yoga is super good for people. I really like the idea of Yoga. To be honest I've wanted to try it but I think I'm being lazy and telling myself "I don't have time" when technically I sort of do. I suppose I just want free time to do other things, just in case I want to. I've read and watched a lot of videos and articles and stuff about Yoga and it blows my mind.

At the very least, I do some Yoga stretches/poses, but not many. I just do them with my other stretches, usually after a judo session and before a gym session. After judo I try to stretch as much of my body as I can, before gym however I just stretch the muscles that I'll primarily be using (so if I'm gonna do squats, I'll stretch my legs).

The only time I do it is with Wii Fit, got back into it recently and aside from walking and a few stretches, it's where I get most of my stretching and exercise/workout stuff done. But the advanced stuff is crazy. How they can bend and contort like that, I doubt I'll ever get to be at that level.

Sightless said:
Yoga is another one of things to be wary of, not just because of cultural appropriation, but also because it asks you to voluntarily and routinely put your body in abnormal positions, which can put a lot of unnoticed strain on your body. Yoga instructors are certified, sure, but many programs that certify instructors don't actually require the person to understand physiology or kinesiology to a significant extent. You may spend 10-20 hours studying "anatomy", but this could include "energy physiology" -- i.e., not your actual body movement/positioning.

So I have a bit of a negative view of yoga, at least as it's come into the scope of the western world. Not to say that you shouldn't try it, like. I just mean people should either *actually* study yoga as a whole and in depth, or if you're just going to do some stretches, just call it doing some fucking stretches.

Can I just call it "Basic Yoga" or "Yoga 101"? I just define my yoga stuff as the stuff they do in Wii Fit as that's where most of my yoga experience comes from. All this technical stuff is just *Mind explodes*. But I do know my limits, so I don't do any of the heavy straining stuff completely.

Lethean said:
Sports? Sure, I play sports.Currently I'm working on going pro in MMA but I've taken a year off. My record is something like 11-1.

In UFC Undisputed 3.

I'm kind of a badass like that.

That is super bad ass.

HK-47 said:
The only time I do it is with Wii Fit, got back into it recently and aside from walking and a few stretches, it's where I get most of my stretching and exercise/workout stuff done. But the advanced stuff is crazy. How they can bend and contort like that, I doubt I'll ever get to be at that level.

Well that's just it though, the stretches and poses are bound to get harder in the more advanced stuff but as long as you keep practising and doing it, you'll get there and you'll end up doing the advanced crazy stuff. :)

HK-47 said:
Can I just call it "Basic Yoga" or "Yoga 101"? I just define my yoga stuff as the stuff they do in Wii Fit as that's where most of my yoga experience comes from. All this technical stuff is just *Mind explodes*. But I do know my limits, so I don't do any of the heavy straining stuff completely.

Call it whatever you want, I reckon! :p I'm glad to see someone is getting use out of the Wii Fit. Everyone I know who picked up a Wii Fit didn't use it for very long. :/

Sort of reviving this thread with a video. I'm sure intoTheRain is going to get a kick out of this, if he hasn't seen it already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74bNpo_1tY8

The 2014 Cross Fit games, "She got that lift!"

I'm confident that not everyone who trains in Cross Fit dead lifts like this, at least I hope not. I'm told that many of our local Cross Fitters are some of "the best lifters".

The dead lift in this video though is absolutely atrocious and very dangerous looking. Poor form. The fact the commentator is shouting "She got that lift!" with such enthusiasm to me, indicates they have no idea what the hell they're talking about.

The competitor's body goes way too far back (hips are going forward too soon), they almost lose their damn grip on the barbell, the competitor is using too much of their back and has very little to no initial leg drive, they're losing their balance (the barbell is falling to one side by the end of it) and finally to demonstrate total lack of control and safety, they just drop the bar.

In a power lifting competition that would be an a complete red light (fail) but hey, this is the Cross Fit Games.

Master_Craig said:

jesus lord have mercy, i just took a trip to the ER because I blew out my knees and lower back out watching that video.

lmao @ crossfitters. I actually like crossfit, I just don't understand why there are so many idiots that do it, completely disregarding logic/safety.

I guess I can't say I like Crossfit, as I've never done it, but i like the idea of it.

that girl is at a competition, why does no one there have the sense to call that lift before she ends up dead?

intoTheRain said:
Master_Craig said:

jesus lord have mercy, i just took a trip to the ER because I blew out my knees and lower back out watching that video.

lmao @ crossfitters. I actually like crossfit, I just don't understand why there are so many idiots that do it, completely disregarding logic/safety.

I guess I can't say I like Crossfit, as I've never done it, but i like the idea of it.

that girl is at a competition, why does no one there have the sense to call that lift before she ends up dead?

hqdefault.jpg

"Welcome to Cross Fit, where the work outs are made up and your form doesn't matter!"

I've never done Cross Fit either, so I feel a little bad paying it out like that. I've seen people with incredible fitness levels and great physiques who owe it to Cross Fit, but Cross Fit seems to have a horrible reputation for, well... this. Bad form and dangerous practice. I guess it's not so much "Cross Fit" itself, but more or less the practitioners who practice it in a poor and dangerous manner.

I'm not too fond of the idea of Cross Fit, to be honest. It's essentially circuit training (which is awesome) but using power/Olympic style lifts incorporated into the workouts (which I think is bad). I think there's a reason those exercises need to be done safely though, considering how stressful it can be on our bodies. I like trying new exercises and routines, but I would prefer to not break my body at an early age.

I just can't get over how an international competition like the Cross Fit games can accept that lift in the video as... well, a passable lift. I'm not a qualified professional but that looks like a gigantic red flag "fail" to me.

Green_Lantern said:
Not even going to bother with this.

why? lol.. there are tons of cross fitters out there that do it right (i'm sure the majority). and like i said i think it's pretty cool, when done right. love the circuit training aspect to it, turns you into a machine. every third day i do cardio similar to cross fit, alternating 1 minute sprints with light 12-15 rep sets for anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour depending how i feel that day. absolutely kills me.

there are lots of traditional powerlifters that have horrible form in youtube videos. the weird thing about cross fit though just seems to be that terrible form is accepted to squeak out reps. in a powerlifting comp your form needs to be flawless.

trying to find videos of this one guy i saw a while back, he is an absolute beast crossfitter. cant figure out his name though. sickest build i've ever seen. obviously his veins are pumping 99% cell-tech, but an unbelievable athlete regardless.

Green_Lantern said:

But you've got the energy to post that comment, at least? :p

Green_Lantern said:
The video is bad.

We can agree on that. :)

intoTheRain said:
Green_Lantern said:

why? lol.. there are tons of cross fitters out there that do it right (i'm sure the majority). and like i said i think it's pretty cool, when done right. love the circuit training aspect to it, turns you into a machine. every third day i do cardio similar to cross fit, alternating 1 minute sprints with light 12-15 rep sets for anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour depending how i feel that day. absolutely kills me.

there are lots of traditional powerlifters that have horrible form in youtube videos. the weird thing about cross fit though just seems to be that terrible form is accepted to squeak out reps. in a powerlifting comp your form needs to be flawless.

trying to find videos of this one guy i saw a while back, he is an absolute beast crossfitter. cant figure out his name though. sickest build i've ever seen. obviously his veins are pumping 99% cell-tech, but an unbelievable athlete regardless.

Yeah don't worry, that's true. You're always going to get people, whether it's Cross Fitters, body builders and power lifters with shocking forms on YouTube and such. But you are right, with a power lifting competition your form needs to be flawless, or as good as it can be otherwise the judges will red light ya.

The main reason I pay out the linked video above so much is because, well, I just can't believe that's an acceptable/passable lift, considering it's for a competition.

Strangely, Cross Fit seems to accept horrible form as a method of completion of the exercise/set and for more reps. I don't get it.

Your exercise sounds terrifying intoTheRain, but awesome. I don't do stuff like that, but I probably should. >.> I think I'm just too lazy to go that far. :p

Master_Craig said:
Green_Lantern said:

But you've got the energy to post that comment, at least? :p

Green_Lantern said:
The video is bad.

We can agree on that. :)

intoTheRain said:
Green_Lantern said:

Yeah don't worry, that's true. You're always going to get people, whether it's Cross Fitters, body builders and power lifters with shocking forms on YouTube and such. But you are right, with a power lifting competition your form needs to be flawless, or as good as it can be otherwise the judges will red light ya.

The main reason I pay out the linked video above so much is because, well, I just can't believe that's an acceptable/passable lift, considering it's for a competition.

Strangely, Cross Fit seems to accept horrible form as a method of completion of the exercise/set and for more reps. I don't get it.

Your exercise sounds terrifying intoTheRain, but awesome. I don't do stuff like that, but I probably should. >.> I think I'm just too lazy to go that far. :p

i punished myself the other day and did it for a full hour -.-.. i had missed the first workout i'd missed in ages the day before.

i do all sorts of whacky stuff now, at 30 years old working out the same old way gets pretty mundane. so i make up all sorts of weird programs to keep myself having fun. i feel like this new cardio style i'm doing is very good functional cardio.

i still do the normal upper/lower/weird circuit training cardio/upper/lower etc. i just do really light weights when i do my circuit cardio. 40 pound dumbells for standing shoulder press, 25 lbs for laterals, 30 reps pushups, 25 to 30lbs. for dumbell curls, 30 lbs for tricep kickbacks etc... nothing i think will really set my recovery back too much, just something functional to throw into my cardio and REALLY burn me out.

i never take days off unless i'm completely burnt out. i don't believe its necessary, just listen to your body.

have also started biking a minimum of 20km a night after work as well :/... takes me about 50 minutes to do 20km, on a mountain bike. kinda want a road bike now. i love it, zipping through the city when its dark.

after being into fitness since i was 18, i truly believe the only thing that matters for a natural lifter is a) eat enough b) eat well c) lift heavy d) get rest e) calories in vs calories out to gain/lose weight f) consistency

everything else is bro science

BRO SCIENCE.

Sounds pretty hardcore of you, intoTheRain. Good work man, keep it up :). That's actually inspiring me to try and do a little more for myself.

At the moment I train six days a week, but about an hour and a half per day (sometimes an hour). So it'll vary from seven and a half hours to nine hours per week. I'm at the gym three days a week and then I'm at judo three days a week too. I prefer to train in the afternoon, but one of those judo sessions is on a morning (Saturday).

I was doing morning cardio but honestly I've been struggling with it. Just getting up and doing it and then getting to work on time, pain in the arse. So I've been a bit lazy in that department.

With the gym I'm essentially doing a power lifting regime, trying to improve strength, so the workouts are pretty tough. Judo can vary... sometimes it's really tough, sometimes it's super easy, it really depends on the session so unfortunately it can be a bit unpredictable.

The program I'm following has helped a lot... I did a twelve week strength increase course and now I'm doing a ten week course based on those results. Here's my numbers for my big lifts (one max reps), then and now:

-Bench press: 100 kg (220 Ibs), now 105 kg (231 Ibs), new minimum goal is 115 kg (253 Ibs)
-Squat: 120 kg (264 Ibs), now 140 kg (308 Ibs), new minimum goal is 150 kg (330 Ibs)
-Dead lift: 140 kg (308 Ibs), now 170 kg (374 Ibs), new minimum goal is 180 kg (396 Ibs)

My bench press sucks (it's not as good as say BigTruckSeries with his 142 kg / 315 Ibs claim :p) but I'm happy with my other lifts.

I was a little concerned about my weight (107 kg / 235 Ibs). I would prefer to be 100 kg or less (220 Ibs or less) but it's okay. If it wasn't for judo and trying to be in the right weight class then I wouldn't care about my weight. What I might do is I'll keep doing what I'm doing for the next few months... then January 2015 I'll spend about six months focusing on weight loss. I may have to seek out advice from a professional nutritionist.

I should take up Sunday afternoon jogging again but again... lazy. :p

i wish i'd got into power lifting, i have a very good frame for it. too late now though. and i'm ok with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDtArt5n1cM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSRHphNuIvw

my two favorite power lifters.... so OP

Dan greene is a fukkin beast and Klokov is in another universe

ill post some videos of my big three soon, maybe we can get a little friendly competition going, my big 3 are very similar. bench is quite a bit higher, but its always been my strongest, squat is pretty much identical, deadlift is slightly higher, 405 for a few reps, 3-4. (you'll hit 405 very soon)

have been doing dumbell bench 95% of the time though because since i was about 25 barbell feels like its wrecking my left shoulder. was doing decline in highschool and my shoulder popped, and its never been the same since. kept pushing through it for a long time then finally gave it up. but i'd be happy to do it a little bit for funzies.

i have a very thick frame at 5'11" though, i believe you're quite a bit taller with longer arms/legs. wish they could somehow factor that in because it really is a big deal.

I just got myself one of those activity trackers the other day. Starting off slow, walked 2 1/2 miles today. Felt pretty good.

Then I went home and had 4 slices of pizza for dinner....fuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod