Big Bang Theory is an awful show

Mission accomplished. It's good for a chuckle here and there. Most of my experience with the show has come from watching it with my in-laws.

The Simpspons > Seinfield > The Office > Arrested Development > South Park > Curb Your Enthusiasm > Futurama > Modern Family > shows everyone else at GR likes > A bunch of crap > Family Guy > The Big Bang Theory > Joey

Deal_with_it_Jerry_Seinfeld_what_s_the_deal_with_it.gif

WickedLiquid said:
The Simpspons > Seinfield > PARKS AND RECREATION > The Office > Arrested Development > South Park > Curb Your Enthusiasm > Futurama > Modern Family > shows everyone else at GR likes > A bunch of crap > Family Guy > The Big Bang Theory > Joey

Deal_with_it_Jerry_Seinfeld_what_s_the_deal_with_it.gif

I love the office, but parks and rec has been much better lately.

I'll watch it before I watch pretty much any other sitcom... although thats not saying much it does get a chuckle out of me here and there

My GF at the time was in love with the show, so as a result I was forced to watch it nightly, there's a lot worse I could have been subjected to

What's worse on TV is all these fucking reality shows where you watch people work... I understand pawn stars, sure, but now there's logging wars, shipping wars, auction hunters, storage wars, auction kings, whisker wars (I fucking kid you not.. a show about beard growing) Ice road truckers, Ice road truckers - deadliest road - the andes edition, Ice pilots, I'm probably forgetting half of them, and I'm thankful for that

Television is shit, and not just slightly bad like so many 90's sitcoms, but I'm talking cringe worthy garbage, the only shows I watch are Sports programming (mainly UFC, but not there overly stale reality series), motor racing, and top gear, and to be honest top gears turning into shit as well

What i wonder is when i go to the gym and people on the treadmills and other cardio stuff watch all these extremely stupid reality shows, like on VH1 and MTV, on the tv's attached to the machines.

You guys are confusing laugh tracks with live audiences (though I've heard they often overdub live audiences with extra laughs).

Last time I was at the Gym, people were watching Obama's inauguration.

older-laughs.jpg

WickedLiquid's posts are filmed IN FRONT OF a live studio audience

yeah, most of those shows have live audiences, not laugh tracks. gotta have a real reaction for it to be convincing.

Well the show has pretty much been ruined for me now. Never even noticed the laugh track before because its part of every sitcom almost. Now I notice it every time.

And I think BBT is definitely a laugh track. You can tell when a show just uses the live audience because there are normally 1 or 2 really weird over the top laughters that are different everytime. BBT sounds like laughter you would hear on a keychain with noise effects you get at the dollar store.

Both shows are filmed in front of studio audiences though. I'm sure they sweeten it with canned laughter too, but to say they would be better without a "laugh track" is kinda tough. They are written and performed a certain way so it's not that simple to fix. It's old-school sitcom.

I've never seen it, but it seems to be every college girl's favorite show. So yeah, I wouldn't doubt that it's pretty awful.

Longo_2_guns said:
used44 said:
but to say they would be better without a "laugh track" is kinda tough.
Longo_2_guns said:
If you take away the laugh track, it becomes a fast paced drama about the effects of high-functioning autism.
Hey, we've come full circle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA

While it's hilarious to watch without a laugh track, many good shows would look just as ridiculous with the laugh track removed so it proves nothing. If they just continued on in conversation and didn't pause to let the laughs go away it wouldn't be near as awkward.

Longo_2_guns said:
used44 said:
Longo_2_guns said:
If you take away the laugh track, it becomes a fast paced drama about the effects of high-functioning autism.

I think that is a terrible example.

That scene is removed from its context, with the theatrical elements removed. In its proper place in the episode, and especially on the first view, that scene is probably one of the best they have done on the show.

On point however, if you remove laugh tracks/dramatic music, whatever, you adversely affect the story. You take the most romantic scene ever filmed, remove the sappy music behind it and replace it with death metal, you aren't achieving the same results.

Books use words. TV and movies are forced to use a different medium, as such, they go with laugh tracks and music.

LinksOcaraina said:
StickyGreenGamer wrote:
It isn't terrible. I'm up to date on the episodes, some are funny, others aren't. The latest season however has started to drag the show down. And they have violated continuity a couple times.

How long has it been on the air? If its more than 5 seasons thats usually when continuity is thrown out the window in situational comedies.

I believe they are on the 5th. Continuity problems can be traced back to the second season though. The majority has to do with Sheldon's youth and with how long Sheldon and Leonard have lived together, etc.

intoTheRain said:
Longo_2_guns said:
used44 said:
Longo_2_guns said:

While it's hilarious to watch without a laugh track, many good shows would look just as ridiculous with the laugh track removed so it proves nothing. If they just continued on in conversation and didn't pause to let the laughs go away it wouldn't be near as awkward.

Like I said, it was written and performed in such a way that it plays off the live laughter. It would take a lot of tweaking to make it different.

That said, I have no interest in watching it and have only seen maybe 5 minutes of it ever.

So I'm not defending it, just saying that it fits a certain genre of sitcom. And it's not the "laugh track" that's all to blame.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle