I challenge you to pour a bucket of ice over your head

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedLiquid

Regular
Is what I would say if I wanted to annoy the hell out of GR.

Yes, it seems there is no escape from the ice bucket challenge. Everywhere you look some famous person has been inspired to pour ice cold water over themselves completely forgetting the point of this charity.

The point is if you do not donate then you suffer with the wrath of the ice cold bucket. But somewhere down the line the meaning got lost because everyone enjoys watching a celebrity get drenched.

While some of these ice bucket challenges have gone out of their way to be clever and very funny, like this one, unfortunately this requires a little bit of planning. Which means we have citizens attempting this and the result is sometimes awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odVYP6IRJMw

What I want to know is. Without googling it how many people actually know what ALS stands for? You would figure with the all this awareness people would be able to name it without any trouble at all. I have yet to find someone who is doing this challenge actually make people aware of the charity they're donating to.

Lethean said:
There's something inherently narcissistic about the ice bucket challenge....
This is true, and the only one i respect is Charlie Sheen

Charlie Sheen does it right!

charlie-sheen-als-ice-bucket-challenge-video.jpg

I wouldn't call that wasting water as it either gets absorbed into the ground or evaporates, but what do I know...

The only good one was the For Fighters though.

The whole "ice bucket OR donate" thing is a little overblown by the haters. ALSA has received over $12m in donations by 200k new donors in the past few months. Should that number be 50 times larger based on the high-profile celebrities and businesspeople that have done the videos? Absolutely. It seems like lots of people have done it purely for their ego. Whenever a video gets posted without a link to the charity or a personal donation, it's disappointing.

But it's still better than nothing.

Considering the water isn't being used for any purpose: cooking, cleaning, drinking, washing, it totally is being wasted. How the hell does it being absorbed into the ground or evaporated have to do with anything. If I go buy a 2 liter of coke and empty it on the sidewalk and some passerby asks "Hey, why are you wasting all that coke" I'm now going to say "Don't worry, concerned citizen. This coke is being absorbed into the ground and evaporating, so it is totally not being wasted!" Believe it or not, there are such things as water shortages.

Anyway, the whole thing is just a symptom of social media. Everyone wants their 5 seconds of fame so they mimic whatever is popular at the moment and upload a video of them doing it on youtube in the desperate hope that someone might finally pay attention to them.

I didn't even think about water shortage. Damn, come to Canada already people. We have more water than we know what to do with.

My big problem is with the people who don't even have ice in their water bucket. Pussies.

I'd do it only because it actually looks fun. I get that it is raising awareness and people are making donations. I don't think everyone is doing it for attention or their 5 seconds of vine fame. Sure, there are some out there who won't even donate and some who are doing the challenge to absolve themselves of guilt for not giving 100 dollars.

As long as it raises awareness of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and how severe of a condition it really is.

C_nate said:
Considering the water isn't being used for any purpose: cooking, cleaning, drinking, washing, it totally is being wasted. How the hell does it being absorbed into the ground or evaporated have to do with anything. If I go buy a 2 liter of coke and empty it on the sidewalk and some passerby asks "Hey, why are you wasting all that coke" I'm now going to say "Don't worry, concerned citizen. This coke is being absorbed into the ground and evaporating, so it is totally not being wasted!" Believe it or not, there are such things as water shortages.

Anyway, the whole thing is just a symptom of social media. Everyone wants their 5 seconds of fame so they mimic whatever is popular at the moment and upload a video of them doing it on youtube in the desperate hope that someone might finally pay attention to them.

7rb66V7.gif

used44 said:
The whole "ice bucket OR donate" thing is a little overblown by the haters. ALSA has received over $12m in donations by 200k new donors in the past few months. Should that number be 50 times larger based on the high-profile celebrities and businesspeople that have done the videos? Absolutely. It seems like lots of people have done it purely for their ego. Whenever a video gets posted without a link to the charity or a personal donation, it's disappointing.

This.

It has raised a ton if money. And honestly the blame should not be placed on the people. Just the way it is promoted. Most people probably don't even realize the point of it. It's raised a ton of money already, if more emphasis were placed on the actual goal I'm sure that would be quadrupled or more. But ultimately it has raised a lot of money that wouldn't have been raised without it. And for that reason no fucks are given and it's a good thing in my books. And aside from the money it's created a lot of laughs between friends, and people viewing the videos. Which is also a good thing.

So the ice bucket challenge gets my two thumbs up. Bitching about it is productive in absolutely no way.

Green_Lantern said:
C_nate said:

7rb66V7.gif

Go ahead and educate us then, professor.

intoTheRain said:
So the ice bucket challenge gets my two thumbs up. Bitching about it is productive in absolutely no way.

except for raising awareness about the fact that we are in a drought.

intoTheRain said:
used44 said:

This.

It has raised a ton if money. And honestly the blame should not be placed on the people. Just the way it is promoted. Most people probably don't even realize the point of it. It's raised a ton of money already, if more emphasis were placed on the actual goal I'm sure that would be quadrupled or more. But ultimately it has raised a lot of money that wouldn't have been raised without it. And for that reason no fucks are given and it's a good thing in my books. And aside from the money it's created a lot of laughs between friends, and people viewing the videos. Which is also a good thing.

Ok now back to reality. The ice bucket challenge is a narcissistic publicity stunt performed mostly by people who are donating because they have been forced to. It has less to do with ALS and more to do with this stupid challenge, as the dollars donated have proven.

The donation was explained perfectly when it began but because a few celebrities don't know how to read it has become a game of broken telephone and is now just a big annoyance that has caused a bunch of bandwagon jumpers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod