Comic Book Reading Club - PLANET HULK

used44 said:
Let's read Issue 2 tonight. Hopefully it will clear things up and/or be more interesting. Issue 1 was a bit messy.

Where is everybody?

No discussion on issue 1?

I'm reading 1 right now. I guess my biggest concern is that it's too shrouded in double talk. The dialogue doesn't tell you much, which makes it just filler.

On the other hand, this is a strong pallette swap. I mean, it's not just "hey, let's make the X-Men...this". It's a huge reimagining. The art is a bit too dark. I don't even know what I'm looking at some of the times.

Yeah, it's not that I don't want to discuss it, it's just a little muddy and confusing, like Bret said. Hopefully having two issues under our belt will inspire better discussion.

The art is ok. What's the deal with Le Beau looking exactly like Adrian Brody? Haha. It's like that stupid Mark Millar thing of over-using celebrity likenesses/references.

Just bought "Catwoman: When In Rome" because it was on sale and I looove Loeb/Sale. Best team in comics history.

PDxmennoir139.jpg

Okay, so the whole first page of dialogue with Professor X is actually amazing.

"That we have characterized sociopathyt as 'mental illness' until now is hardly surprising. No doubtthe Neanderthal saw the prominent chin and sharply rising forehead of Cro-Magnon man as some kind of physical deformity as well."

All describing sociopathy as an evolution.

Okay, XMen Noir...I'm on board.

Bretimus_v2 said:
Okay, so the whole first page of dialogue with Professor X is actually amazing.

"That we have characterized sociopathyt as 'mental illness' until now is hardly surprising. No doubtthe Neanderthal saw the prominent chin and sharply rising forehead of Cro-Magnon man as some kind of physical deformity as well."

All describing sociopathy as an evolution.

Okay, XMen Noir...I'm on board.

That I liked. The rest of it though... pretty meh. The plot is definitely muddled, and the art is so dark that you can't see much most of the time. I'm not even really sure what's going on at the end of the issue, why that guy is stealing the file.

There's some funny one liners in there though. Very Noir-esque.

"You won't like Irish Hell, Blackie.
There's no whisky and the women hit back."

Comic Book Club reading schedule

7/3 - X-Men: Noir #1
7/6 - X-Men: Noir #2
7/10 - X-Men: Noir #3
7/13 - X-Men: Noir #4

I don't even think Batman comics are this dark. Somebody earned a fortune on their black ink shares. 2nd is better. Re-reading it right now.

Bretimus_v2 said:
I don't even think Batman comics are this dark. Somebody earned a fortune on their black ink shares. 2nd is better. Re-reading it right now.

I'll start the second tonight at some point. Though I'm supposed to be going to a LAN party too.

Went to Lone Star Comics this morning and finally got the book. After reading #s 1 and 2 I must concur with most of the already stated observations.

It's really dark art-wise, even for a noir story. As for Gambit, I as well immediately thought, Adrian Le Breaudy. I've had no experience with the Noir universe, outside of those missions from Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions, so I didn't know that no one seems to have no actual powers. That's a very interesting take on X-Men. I'm amused by the intermission Sentinel stories.

So far, X-Men Noir has its faults, but also enough strengths to make me look forward to the rest of the story.

This club was a great idea, used. I'm already looking forward to future reading sessions.

I agree with just about everything you guys have said so far. It really is super dark. I keep forgetting who I'm looking at, but overall I'm enjoying it.

I'm liking the Sentinel bits as well.

Let's talk issue #1.

Now first of all, the first few pages set a great tone for the rest of the comic. We see the characters that we know well being presented in an almost realistic and normal situation. Not only that, but the way it's presented could easily be a way of showing how the average person would view the X-Men in normal canon. A bunch of deranged individuals who eugenics determined were to be weeded out.

We also have the whole area they go through in pursuit of the guy in one of the later pages, with him going through each floor and the acts that transpire on them. What does that show you about this world that they live on? What can you take from this, and compare it to in the normal canon?

Reading the third one made me a bit more interested in finding out what's going to happen in the end. I didn't even realize that I wasn't fully interested until I got into #3.

I don't want to say too much just yet because I don't know who has read it and who hasn't gotten a chance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod