Sexuality

It is just really ugly, because it's the same old song and dance in terms of civil liberties in the U.S.

The race issue is no longer a factor and it is a great thing to see Obama as president, but almost fifty years ago he wouldn't even be in congress. The hypocrisy of the civil rights system has me at a loss, because the whole LGBT community is fighting for an individual right to guarantee equality, just as blacks fought for rights of equality.

So yeah, it will take some time and organization, but the LGBT community really needs to do some protesting, kind of like last night, but non-violent. They need to start a movement, or else it will be a wishy-washy thing for years to come.

Not every state is going to pass it, but if they can get the big states, Florida, NY, NJ, Cali, Illinois, even Texas, to legalize the marriages, then it would start something I think, something good for the LGBT community.

Texas could become two-party competitive in the next decade, I'd say we're a pale red as it stands now.
Dallas county voted Democratic again in the presidential election while surrounding counties went Republican, but it's as you say, it'll take some time.

West Texas is staunch Republican ground. But the Democratic arc is definitely present throughout the state.

I've noticed for a while how much religion really is a part of everything the U.S. stands for. Before sports games, God Bless America is played. In grade school, the Pledge of Alliegance is sung, and the lyrics mention 'One nation, under god'. There are so many more things applied to this, and it's probably the most annoying thing about our country. The people who founded America were adamant and determined about separating church and state, and it took less than 300 years for that to completely fall apart. I'm both bisexual and an athiest, and I remember speaking to someone about this after they asked. An older man listened in to the conversation and looked away in disgust as I mentioned both things, muttering something about me being a son of Satan. It is just mind blowing how this 'free country' we worked so hard to create has fallen so hard. Did we all forget how important being independent is? The country is being forced to be straight, Christian, and proud of it. This may be just me, but does anyone else not want that? I'm so ashamed of America.. Really. We've let religion take over everything.

I Corinthians 6:9:

"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

the words of Paul listing what a few things that will not get you into heaven

being gay goes against how we were made and those that are born gay is a defect from birth

Although I am impressed with a rare coherency from Mitchy, his point is in fact, invalid.

Like everything in the bible, nothing is based on fact. Therefore, any factual laws based on faith should be void. That is my secular view on law.

Anyway. The bible thinks that man is better than animals, correct? If the primal instinct of an animal is to breed, we should have a greater calling. Think about it, we are the only animals capable of reason. Therefore, we can think above this basic instinct, and change it.

The bible is in turn telling us that we are above these "natural" standards and do what we will. So in a subversive way, the bible gives the OK to be Gay.

And if you want to talk about it being natural, ask FTG (sorry to put you on the spot bro). Believing what a book has to say is fine, imposing it isn't.

Conclusion: It's totally cool to be gay. Only those afraid of acceptance and harmony in the world oppose it.

I realize that, but the only reason there was a Prop 8 and no gay marriage in the first place is because of the Bible. It's most certainly not based off fact. Mitchy was saying where the Bible stated it's loathing of gays.

mmmm, i think some people are maybe overreacting a little on this. Keep, i dont think our country has "fallen" at all. the fact that this was on the ballot at all and i think was pretty close is a pretty good sign, i think. Remember it has taken about a century and half for blacks to go from slavery to white house, and there are still a lot of inequalities. When did the lgbt rights movement start? late 60s? of course there are difference between these two movements, but the point is, it's gonna take a long time. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe gay rights legislation has only begun to pop up in the past decade or so.

also, does mitchy's av throw him in the "covetous" category too?

Mitchy_Slick_253 said:
being gay goes against how we were made and those that are born gay is a defect from birth

No, living by the rules of your 2000 years old imaginary friends (Three of them, remember? Father, son, holy spirit. Christianity is either contradictory or not monotheistic, your choice.) that tell you how to run every aspect of your life is not how we evolved and those that do follow ancient imaginary friends are deluded from their indoctrination.

But hey, don't worry, remember, mr.jesus loves you and shares your hatred of gays, jews and everyone who doesn't conform to your world-view. Right. Because he totally didn't mean the "love thy neighbour" thing, if he ever lived that is. :roll:

biblewarningeo4.jpg

ZankerH said:
Mitchy_Slick_253 said:

No, living by the rules of your 2000 years old imaginary friends (Three of them, remember? Father, son, holy spirit. Christianity is either contradictory or not monotheistic, your choice.) that tell you how to run every aspect of your life is not how we evolved and those that do follow ancient imaginary friends are deluded from their indoctrination.

If being gay is considered "evolution", I vote to change the term to "De-evolution". It is a little counter productive :p.

It can't really be considered "evolution" if it's been around for thousands of years. I'm with Mitchy for a change. It is a genetic deviation of sorts. It's abnormal. Does that mean I have a problem with gay people? Not at all! Does that mean I think gay marriage should be banned? Only in a church that doesn't recognise it! If you and your butt buddy pals want to get married, by all means, do it! If the fur traders want to be wed till death do they part, be my guest! I wonder how many gay marriages will fail due to cheating though.

Lethean said:
If being gay is considered "evolution", I vote to change the term to "De-evolution". It is a little counter productive :p.

It can't really be considered "evolution" if it's been around for thousands of years. I'm with Mitchy for a change. It is a genetic deviation of sorts. It's abnormal. Does that mean I have a problem with gay people? Not at all! Does that mean I think gay marriage should be banned? Only in a church that doesn't recognise it! If you and your butt buddy pals want to get married, by all means, do it! If the fur traders want to be wed till death do they part, be my guest! I wonder how many gay marriages will fail due to cheating though.

Excuse me, did I perhaps once state that I'm a homosexual? No, I did not. Did I make a statement that homosexuality is caused by evolution? No, I did not, and it is clearly not, since homosexuals could not pass on their genes until the invention of human artificial insemination, which is far to recently to allow for any kind of evolution. In fact, if you care to re-read my post, you'll see that I oppose the statement that one is born homosexual, or homosexuality having a biological origin at all. I will refrain brain chemistry from the definition here, but my point is that homosexuality, like all other forms of sexuality, is a consequence of mental preferences and not because "god made you that way" or "you were born that way".

Calm down, don't get your panties in a twist.

I personally do believe it's a combination of genetics and upbringing. I find it hard to believe it's preference. If I had a choice to be gay or straight why would I choose to be something that is shunned in many parts of the world and causes a feeling of being outcast? (Note: That isn't an insult to gay people.)

Oh and I never said you were homosexual. I didn't mean *you* specifically. I meant you as in whatever gay person is reading this. Also, I mentioned the evolution part becuase you had said somewhere in there "it's not how we evolved" which kind of incinuated you were refering to gay people to me.

Tl;dr: Calm down.

Are you truly incapable of basic reading comprehension? I didn't say we've evolved into homosexuals (oh noes, the gays are taking over, grab your guns :lol: ), I've written that believing into nonsense is not what we've been evolved into being preconditioned with. If that wasn't the case, we'd still be in the dark ages and wouldn't have even the most basic grasp on science.

Right. And I can easily admit I misnterpreted, which I did.

Are you truly incapable of debate without trying to be condescending? It really cheapens your key points you know.

Lethean said:
Right. And I can easily admit I misnterpreted, which I did.

Are you truly incapable of debate without trying to be condescending? It really cheapnes your key points you know.

Argumentum ad hominem - let's not sink that low. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, go right ahead. I refuse to.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle