Sexuality

StalfrosCC said:
Man... my team can't even get a first down... :( Thanksgiving will be a nightmare.

At least your team is not manned by a tyrannical old man who won't let go the last vestiges of his power to someone who is probably better for the modern day applications of the sport...

Anyway, back on topic.

Personally, I subscribe to Kirkegaard's sentiments. Religion is illogical and unscientific. God can't be proven, he must be believed. Either Jesus rose from the grave on the third day (making everything we know about the world false) or he didn't (making the Bible wrong). If we accept Jesus as the true son of God and all-powerful, we must also accept the rest of the Bible. It belongs to the story that Kirkegaard did believe in the power of Jesus Christ for just this reason; it is illogical, so I believe.

The point is that Moses gave the Isrealites a whole lot of rules to live by. Do not steal, do not kill, do not bone another man's wife, do not bone another man. Some of these make sense to us today, some do not. Personally I am inclined to believe they needed to get their population up and that was why a man shouldn't lay with another man, but my views hardly matter. What matters is that many religions believe these were the laws of God for all mankind to follow, and if they are, you can't go and follow the ones you like and cut out the rest. If these are indeed the laws of God we should follow them all regardless of how we feel about them. If these are not the laws of God, none of them matter and the religion just lost its entire foundation.

I'm all for gay couples getting equal rights to christian married couples, but we can't force the churches to participate in what they would see as a violation of their divine laws.
Aside from that, a gay christian is either a hypocrite (who says he believes in an omnipotent, yet mistaken god) or a constant sinner (who knows he is doing something wrong, but continues to do it).

Again, I'm all for homosexuals, but I can't see why they should be allowed chritian marriges. The rights to adopt or to be listed as legal spouses, I have no problem with.

non-religious people are homophobic as welll, but that's because they're bigots, nothing more. I'm not gonna lie, homosexuals make me uncomftorable, but I still think they have a right to be together and marry. All married people do is have barbaque's and fight about money, nothing that sacred about it. Lesbians I get; the female body is a beautiful thing.,

The thought of a man sticking his penis into another man's anus aint a picture I want in my head. Lesbians licking eachother's vagina's is fine by me.

I just can't bring myself to understand how gays were discriminated against in the first place. I blame religion. Homosexuals were always discriminated against in the Bible and other whatnot, and having Christian and offshoots of Christian/Catholic being such large portions of America's religious standpoint, I'm sure a lot of them must agree with it. Me being atheist, I can't come to see why it is wrong in the first place. It's the fact that minorities of every kind get so much s**t from everybody else, and the government feels that they should go along with the people's consent. I really hope the future ends up being like it is in South Park, where the world is run by atheists and otters.

So they actually passed proposition 8.....thats just sad.

And I am expecting riots in the next few weeks over it (I hope.)

But, not to fret. New York is the next state that will have gay marriage , I can almost guarantee it.

Rekkie7 said:
That is sad. So what happens to those already married there? Are they no longer recongised?

The marriage licenses have been suspended indefinitely, so what's going to happen? Lawyers. They're going to say that Prop. 8 is a constitutional revision, not an amendment, so it doesn't count, and so on and so forth.

Of course, I am once again disappointed by humanity; in this case, Americans in California that believe in equality but not for everyone... I'm sure many of you know that I'm homosexual (and if you don't, well there), and that by default, I'm saddened that the majority of Americans don't believe that I deserve to exist, let alone have human rights.

While I think a central part of the force behind Prop 8 is based on religion, I think people are just naturally inclined to get behind they understand - themselves. And most people, at least 90%, are heterosexual, and when people approach something they don't understand, they see it as a threat.

The slogan for Yes on Prop 8 is "Protect Marriage" - the message that gay marriage is a threat to straight marriage - an idea that falls by the wayside once you wrap your head around this: If I get married, what does that have to do with you?

As my pursuit of happiness depends on the will of Americans, so does my anger when it is denied. When people vote against gay marriage, they say their love is more important than mine, that their happiness depends on the exclusion of mine, that they are more important as a person than me. They might not think that that is what they mean, and that's what angers me the most.

It is argued that gay is a 'choice', but really, some people are born to it. It's not fair that they should change for the rest of the scared, straight world.

I know for a fact that being gay isn't a choice. FTG once said, "Who would choose to be hated?" And I know, looking simply at my family, that it is genetic. Out of 4 children in my family, two of them are bi and one of them is gay. And I think my other sister would be bi if she didn't have a serious boyfriend occupying her time.

Fuck Prop 8. Seriously.

Longo_2_guns said:
I know for a fact that being gay isn't a choice. FTG once said, "Who would choose to be hated?"
Hmm, you remembered a distant quote from me. That somehow makes me feel better. :)

It's strange. It's the day after Obama gets elected that I really start to feel it. And then it's just now that this Prop. 8 mess is really sickening me. I just can't understand it. If America can't get past this, then the new hope and faith that the Obama presidency is supposed to bring is void to me. America will have proven that it's still just as discriminatory as it was in the 60s.
And even if you put religion aside, why not give gay people legal rights? Sure, caste them out of your Heaven. Don't accept them in your church, but the country was founded on an idea of the separation of church and state. I'll revisit what I said earlier and claim that America is becoming more and more of a theocracy, and the government is just another tool for religion to exercise its power over.
And then to marry people and, a couple of months later, strip it all away, that's just completely backwards and beyond cruel. I don't think anytime in American history has a right been taken away from a group of people. I mean, in the past it was passive discrimination. The victims started off bad but had a constant climb up. This is just...un-American.
How so few can see this, amazes me.

I can't articulate so well, so I'll just say that I agree with Mr. Nick_Tan up there.
Meanwhile, I'm going to go cultivate this hate.

I'm a Catholic and I seem to recall the Pope saying that gays deserved and should receive the same human rights and dignity as anyone else. I'm a little hazy on whether he said they could be married but it seems to me that you can't really say they deserve rights and then say they cannot be married. Maybe they can't get married in Church or in the eyes of God? Thats down to the religion I suppose but what about a marriage license from a registrar?

I'm religious but I don't think any Religion should have gotten involved over Proposition 8.

I'm Christian - and so is the rest of my family.

Sure, it's not exactly 'meant' to be that way (ie, Gays or Lesbians..whether religions are corrent, basic reproduction tells us this), but i still believe whether you love a man or a women - you still love them. i'm sure for the gays this applies to them, just the same as if you're straight.
IMO, it doesn't matter if you love a man or a women and happen to be gay - if you still love them, you still love them. they should have the right to marry, just the same as any other couple that loves each other.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133