New Years Resolutions: 2015 Edition

I probably came off a bit flippant before, I apologize for that.

I have been sort of weighing myself every so often, but its been about 5 pounds so far since I started.

I want to just keep going, i'm thinking if I can keep walking throughout the summer and all this stuff I can weigh myself at the end, and see how much progress I actually made. Hopefully convert some fat to muscle, the whole 9 yards basically.

Don't worry about it, man. It's all good. At the end of the day you're at least doing something and you've got some goals set. That combined with your five pound loss, e.g. the results you've gained, it means you're well on the way. :)

Yesterday I managed to get a personal best on my dead lift. There's heaps of people who can lift more than me but it was an achievement for me at least.

Last year 170 kg (374 Ibs) was my one rep maximum on dead lift. A month ago I couldn't even do one rep of that, but now I can do three solid reps of 170 kg. Very happy with that. :)

My weight as of today is 99.8 kg (about 220 Ibs) but in all fairness, I just came home from a six hour judo session, as we have special coaches from interstate conducting a training camp, so I've lost a lot of water/sweat today.

I'm sore now. :(

My legs are sore here too, I feel your pain.

Sort of. Ok not exactly...

Ive noticed that the first half of my walk is really difficult, mostly due to the high inclines and how hilly it is around my house. Going home from my walk is ridiculously easy, most of the time its downhill.

My legs feel like burning jelly though each time. So I must be doing something right.

Good work man. If you have jelly legs then yes, you are doing something right!

Of course, those hills are going to make your walk easier/harder. The up hill stuff is good, that will really give you some work to do. Regarding the down hill stuff just be a bit careful as funnily enough, that can put a bit of strain on joints.

Good job. :)

I'm sore from practicing with my softball team every few days. Hopefully this will kickstart a healthy summer. Games start in June.

Hit my goal for weight! As of this morning, I now weigh 99.8 kg (220 Ibs). Pretty happy about that. Started out at 108.5 kg on the 20th of February earlier this year (239 Ibs).

A weight drop of 8.2 kg (18 Ibs) over three months isn't that much... however what makes me happy about it is I've lost a lot of body fat and I've put on muscle mass and gained strength, so I'm pretty stoked. :)

I have one week left until I fly interstate down south to compete at the Australian National Judo Championships. I'll be fighting in the men's -100 kg division, so players in that division must weigh anywhere from 90 - 99.9 kg (198 - 220 Ibs).

I'm at the near maximum, but I have one week left of training and dieting to go before I compete, so I'm hoping to weigh in at about 97 or 98 kg (213 or 216 Ibs).

After the nationals, I am taking a whole week off judo, gym and the diet. :D

I just came back home from the Australian Judo National Championships 2015. I fought in two divisions, one on Friday and one on the Sunday.

For Friday, I fought in the men's -100kg "Kyu Grade" division. All competitors are between the weight of 90 - 99.9kg and in this division it's orange to brown belts only, no black belts. I had two fights and unfortunately lost them both. My first fight was shit but my second fight was good. Sadly, my second fight was for a bronze medal fight off.

On Sunday I fought in the men's -100kg division, but this is the one where there are black belts and more serious competitors. The results were essentially the same... I had two fights, lost both, one was a shit fight but my second fight was very good and very close. At the end of the day, I lost due to inexperience when compared to the other guys.

At the very least I'm happy with how I did and despite my losses, it's the best I've ever fought and I learned a lot. I feel more confident and determined and will return next year.

I'm taking the rest of the week off my diet, my gym and my judo training. Just gonna have a week relaxing and eating some junk food.

Nice Craig!

Those "no black belts" sort of rules I'd imagine are easier to enforce than then mma/boxing b/c of the belt color. Like in Amateur Boxing "no pro fights", but the dude has had like 18 Amateur bouts - he's practically a pro. I'd imagine the same for Judo in a way, he's "technically" not a brown belt, but pretty darn good. Its still a good feeling to look back on an event and know you gave it 100% (as cliche as that sounds).

I'm currently 3 weeks into my no alcohol stint and I feel amazing! recovery time is like 1/2 a day and my sleeping is soo much more full. I'll weigh myself in July and see whats up - mostly just running. Diet is more improved with way less sugar, and more veggies - but still not perfect. Got a dodgeball tourney in LA on the 19th-20th. Strong team from the Bay Area we're taking down, and everyone is healthy. *fingers crossed*

UrbanMasque said:
Nice Craig!

Those "no black belts" sort of rules I'd imagine are easier to enforce than then mma/boxing b/c of the belt color. Like in Amateur Boxing "no pro fights", but the dude has had like 18 Amateur bouts - he's practically a pro. I'd imagine the same for Judo in a way, he's "technically" not a brown belt, but pretty darn good. Its still a good feeling to look back on an event and know you gave it 100% (as cliche as that sounds).

Thanks man!

Well yeah, that's pretty much it. The Kyu Grade (no black belts) division is for people with less competition experience like myself. It's to give them more experience and increase their chances of winning I suppose. It also still counts towards your "record" so to speak (as international judo runs off a points system for competitors). While I was fighting other coloured belts (and I am a brown belt myself) - many of the competitors who fought in the Kyu Grade have a lot of competition experience or/and are very well trained.

In saying that, you're very much right. Despite my losses, I feel good and I learned a lot. I know I worked my arse off prior to the competition and I want to work even harder for next year. I still can't believe I actually threw a black belt, so my goal for next year is to beat one. :) Funny thing is, I threw the black belt in the "big competition" so to speak, not the Kyu Grade. I ended up fighting better and harder in the big competition rather than the no black belts division... I think it was because of my losses in the first comp, I felt more determined in the second comp?

But thanks again man, appreciate it. :)

UrbanMasque said:
I'm currently 3 weeks into my no alcohol stint and I feel amazing! recovery time is like 1/2 a day and my sleeping is soo much more full. I'll weigh myself in July and see whats up - mostly just running. Diet is more improved with way less sugar, and more veggies - but still not perfect. Got a dodgeball tourney in LA on the 19th-20th. Strong team from the Bay Area we're taking down, and everyone is healthy. *fingers crossed*

Congratulations man! That's great news too! I'm really glad you're feeling better without the alcohol and I'm glad you can see and feel the benefits already. Don't worry about your weigh in, like you said, check in July to see how your weight is going. Your diet doesn't have to be "perfect" either, it just needs to be "mostly healthy" so to speak and it sounds like you're doing just that with your drop in sugar intake, alcohol and your increase in vegetables.

Good luck with the dodge ball tournament man. I'm sure by the time the comp rolls up you'll be fighting fit and healthy. :)

Yo Craig - We took the tourney down in LA! This is great because we have a very cordial passive-aggressive relationship with the SoCal teams - so it's always good when we take the trophy on their turf. Last year, they came up to SF and won The Burt Tourney. Felt great, not very sore and was really agile. The no-alcohol thing is working out better than expected, but I DID break my fast Saturday night to celebrate with the team since winners got complimentary bar tab.. so yea, we drank.. still haven't weighted myself though. Will do that in July.

Team: Rubber Rippers below

11378294_1622300301350930_651650003_n.jpg

My friends/teammates [ The tall asian dude behind me and the woman to my left] got engaged after we won the tourney. Too many reasons to have a celebratory beer NOT to engage.

Congratulations UrbanMasque! That's awesome! Well done to you and your team mates! It's good to hear that you were not only able to take back the trophy, but you did it on their turf, that's awesome news man.

I'm really glad to hear the no-alcohol thing is working well for you. As for celebration drinks? Man I wouldn't worry about it - you and your team well and truly deserve a night of drinking. You so especially considering you've been off alcohol for a while now, so I wouldn't worry about it at all. :) Good job on the alcohol fast and hopefully you can resume it soon or at the very least, limit consumption.

I'm back on my training/diet now. After the judo nationals I took a break and did absolutely zero gym and I ate junk food. My weight was alright, I'm just over 100 kg again now (220 Ibs) but as of last Monday I've been back on the grind. Since the judo nationals are done and dusted, I'm not doing this diet as strictly, so I may have more junk food on the weekends and such.

I am happy with what the new diet and training regime has bought me. Last year, I could only do about five or six wide grip pull ups, where as now I can do over twelve (after a training session too when I'm worn out and tired). Last year my maximum one lift repetition on dead lift was 170 kg (374 Ibs), now I can lift that three times in a row, so I'm happy to see improvement. The "gains" so to speak. :p

Yes it sucks during photos bc I'm usually the person getting half his body cut out of the photo. A small price to pay to be useful in other aspects. Pulling boxes of shelves, basketball, access to cleaner air.

I haven't really worked out much as of late and haven't been as strict about what I eat, but I have lost weight. I have to tighten my belt more at least.

I finally had to call it off with the girl I've been dating. She was just too needy and clingy and grew quite annoying. Always complaining or griping about something. Even though we only started dating in April, she's been bringing up marriage, future kids and moving in together. It was just too much.

I can't stand her laugh and most of the time she talks like a bad romance novel (But...but...I...sigh) and yes, she would say 'sigh'. Do you know how much of a mood killer it is when you're making out in bed and she looks at you and says in a dramatic shaky voice, "Are...are you going to make love to me now?" Well, I was about to flip you over and jam my crank in your ass, but not now cause you killed it.

During the breakup today she totally broke down, as I knew she would. She kept bringing up inconsequential stuff, like a concert we going to for some shitty band she had already bought I refundable tickets to. So I gave her $50, had a conversation that basically boiled down to 'it's not you, it's me', and started to leave as she got in her car and exclaimed she was gonna 'just drive and didn't even care if she got in a wreck'. I tried to handle it as nice and tactful as I could, but still drove away with Denis Leary's 'Asshole' in my head. So that was my day.

Hey Paradox, good on you with the weight loss. That's great news. Progress is always a great thing, no matter how big or small. I think that's one of the best ways to notice progress in weight loss, when your clothes and belt feel bigger than they used to be. Reminds me of my old "fat pants" days, ha ha. :)

As for your girlfriend (or ex-girlfriend I should say), I'm sorry to hear about that. You're right, that does sound extremely difficult to deal with. I can't imagine how I would have handled it but honestly, it sounds like you did the right thing. As you'd know, the right decisions are often not the easiest.

It's easier said than done, but try not to feel bad about it. It's not fair of her to say something like that, "just drive and don't care if I get in a wreck". I know this won't make it any easier, but if anything did honestly happen, it's not your fault. I don't know this person but to me, it sounds like she may have issues and may need some professional help.

Quite often when people have issues with relationships they end up doing very stupid things, like unhappily staying in that relationship because it's "easier" or doing the absolutely stupid thing and staying with their partner and going off to cheat with other people... in my opinion if you're not happy with the relationship, you need to establish why you're not happy and then either A - try to fix the problem or B - leave.

I'm glad to hear you did the right thing. I hope you're feeling okay and I wish you all the best with your progress in weight loss and fitness. :)

I do feel bad for her. She's still living at home with her verbally abusive non-working father and lazy jobless brother and her mother passed away from cancer just before we started dating. I think she saw me as a ticket out. She has all my sympathy, but I couldn't commit myself to a loveless relationship just for her sake. The stress of that plus my other aforementioned reasons finally came to a head today.

The relationship we had moved kinda quickly. If I get into another one, I'm gonna stay in recon mode for a lot longer before things get too serious.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle