Is Obama doing a good job thus far?

Is Obama doing a good job?

• He's made some mistakes here and there but he is doing a good job regardless.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He's doing a great job.

• Not at all. I regret/am glad I did not vote for him.

• I'm undecided. I see a lot of potential but also a lot of room for improvement.

• Total voters

GRColin

Rookie
I haven't been keeping up with politics much lately except for the odd topic made over at neowin and most of those topics are made by a conservative poster who doesn't care for Obama at all so I'm really only getting one side of things.

I know not everyone here is politically inclined but I know a few of you know your stuff so I thought I'd poke around and see what some of you think of Obama and the job he and his administration are doing so far.

Do you think he's doing a good job overall? Room for improvement? Shit job?

I'm not much... at all... for politics, but from what I've heard, he's not doing bad. I suppose now the Dow and such is just beginning to come back up, he's got some things right.

I feel like Obama's first 100 days have been full of good things (pledging to close Gitmo, no more torture, lifting the gag order[re-allowing family planning funding overseas], announcing Iraq withdrawal, lifting Federal funding ban on stem cells, pledging to upgrade the grid, halting DEA raids on medical marijuana dispensaries), unfortunately they are all pretty much reversals of Bush's shittiest and meanest policies. I'm glad Obama did these things, but cleaning up Bush's messes has wasted valuable time and resources.

However, the elephant in the room everyone is fussing about and will judge him by is his economic stimulus package. I think the problem with this is that nobody expected it to be a magic bullet, but many, many, people are content to do nothing about the problem, and now that it hasn't produced any immediate, visible results, those same people are already declaring Obama THE WORST PRESIDENT EVAR BECAUSE HE TURNED THE ONCE MIGHTY AND FLAWLESS USA INTO A COMMUNIST SHITHOLE THAT WILL FALL VICTIM TO THE RAGHEADS AND MEXICANS SOMETIME TOMORROW AROUND NOON!!

I don't know if 875 billion dollars is going to help solve an economic crisis but only time will tell on that one ;).

his rating has had the worst drop of any president in their first 60 days so far... that should answer this poll simply enough.

GiftedMonkey said:
I feel like Obama's first 100 days have been full of good things (pledging to close Gitmo, no more torture, lifting the gag order[re-allowing family planning funding overseas], announcing Iraq withdrawal, lifting Federal funding ban on stem cells, pledging to upgrade the grid, halting DEA raids on medical marijuana dispensaries), unfortunately they are all pretty much reversals of Bush's shittiest and meanest policies. I'm glad Obama did these things, but cleaning up Bush's messes has wasted valuable time and resources.

what is good about the bolded one?

Everyone was expecting miracles. (gas in the tank and mortgage paid lady I'm looking at you!) but seeing as how he isn't the messiah and is just a normal dude, and he can't automatically make their problems go away, he is losing some of his more weak-minded support.

Jackel585 said:
his rating has had the worst drop of any president in their first 60 days so far... that should answer this poll simply enough.

Not really, I doubt posters here would perfectly reflect the ratings opinion.

Sam

Jackel585 said:

Not really seeing as how many people expected a quick fix to the economic down turn and they didn't see it. His initial ratings were based off of excitement. The ones that followed just sort of represented the fact that the honeymoon is over and they dropped so quickly for Obama since like I said, there were so many expectations and the initial ratings were so high for the reasons given.

It should also be noted his approval ratings are by no means low....And also what Maca had said is a reason why I'm going by what people think here and not approval ratings.

the reason obama has had such a drop in popularity is primarily due to his poor handling of the bailouts such as aig. but i think he quickly learned his lesson there. the way he is handling such companies as gm is proof of that. either obama will fail horribly or get everything on the right track. there is no in between.

The bank bailout and the details of that handout (no tracking, no bonus restrictions etc) was made before Obama took office. Hell if memory serves it was done right before the election with Bush, McCain and Obama all putting their support behind it so it's a shared mess that both sides would of had to live with.

As for the rest of the economy business it's too early to tell. I agree with the spending for the bottom over giving breaks to the top.

The rest of it...reversing Bush's policies has been great.

And Jackel, what do you know of polling. You claimed to be an expert yet said McCain was certain to win despite the grim polls.

We all knew coming in Obama was not going to get a honeymoo n and would be judged harshly from day 1.

Yeah, the whole AIG thing took place in September....Hardly in Obama's hands at all...

But I think I would have to vote the first option, just based on all the views expressed in here already.

And while some government spending is absolutely needed to maintain economic growth, the bailouts may be a tad excessive. But who knows, with the US dollar depreciating and national housing starts on the rise, the economy MAY be on its slow trek out of the recession. I just hate the people who expected Obama to come in and wave a magic wand and fix the economy...Any one with some kind of common sense should know that it wasn't going to be fixed in a day. Let alone a year.

I'd reckon it would be hard to see any change on such a short notice at all.. It doesn't exactly take much effort to try and steer a sinking ship, and do take in account it took you yanks a couple of years to overcome the last economic depression.
If you are expecting anyone to just flick the switch and make all the bad things disappear, why not hope he also creates another Disney world between breakfast and lunch?

Seriously, ask again in a year or so.

MacPherson said:
GiftedMonkey said:

what is good about the bolded one?

Bush (like any other Republican president would have) banned Federal funding for overseas organizations that so much as suggest abortion as a viable birth control method. Obama (like any other Democrat president would have) lifted the ban. This is good because malnourished and/or young women in places like sub-Sahara Africa are often literally torn apart when giving birth. Google "vaginal fistula."

And when I say it banned federal funding, I mean ALL funding. As in, "You suggest the option of terminating pregnancies? Fine, now you don't get money for condoms. What's that, you have an AIDS crisis? Well, we're trying to promote a Culture of Life, you know."

I think He's doing pretty good so far. Everything monkey listed is beneficial to the U.S. And did it all in the first 100 days? not too shabby. Agree with him or not he is pushing forward and getting alot of things done. If he can do all of that within 100 days with severe opposition from the entire republican party I'm sure he could get even more done with some bipartisan agreement.

I don't see how anyone expects the economy to just start working again. We're talking years and years of damage done in just about evey sector of the economy. It's no single entities fault. It's a great big capitalist clusterfuck where everyone is responsible.

People bought houses they could not afford. Banks let them. People had their jobs shipped overseas. The government is broke from 2 wars. Corporations do whatever they want because they can. Wallstreet has a handful of people playing with everyone elses money. The market would not have gone as low as it did if someone was not profiting from it. It was a big system of everyone ripping each other off and the check finnally came.

It is going to take at least a whole year to get back on track. I think it's fixable and we'll all be the better for it.

Really, Dems have nothing to complain about. They got the first black (well, half-black) as well as first woman president.

You don't follow, you say? Ms. Clinton lost?

C'mon, Obama is spending money as fast as a woman could!

ba-dum!

He's doing a fine job. I'm not American, so I'm not feeling it all that much, but of what I hear he's doing good. And the comment that he's just cleaning up Bush's mess, that's one hell of a thing to do. I hate to sound like a liberal junkie, but that guy did almost nothing right.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133