A Yankee's Guide to Toronto

Trippysmurf

Rookie
I'll be in Toronto for a job interview the 26th, and staying until early afternoon Sunday the 28th.

If any of you native Torontons have any advice on restaurants, places to go (fuck the Hockey museum), etc. please advice.

So far planned:

-Honest Ed's
-Bright Pearl for Dim Sun brunch on Sunday
-The Silver Snail, and other comic book stores off of Yonge
-Walk through Chinatown and Koreatown

Queen street is always alot of fun. Queen st west is full of night life and east has the beaches. Front street is the rich district and scarborough is the ghetto so you might wanna steer clear from there lol. Church street is the gay district which is ironic since it's called "church" street. Hope that helps!

WickedLiquid said:
Queen street is always alot of fun. Queen st west is full of night life

This.

Then of course there's the CN Tower, the Skydome (AKA Roger's Centre now) if there's baseball going on. If you're one for the herb there's a vapor lounge near Yonge and Bloor that will blow your mind. I don't know how you missed the Hockey Hall of Fame, and then there's also Wayne Gretzky's own restaurant you can visit and eat at. Also Second City. Otherwise get ahold of Ira, I know he's not doing anything and will be happy to show you around. Especially Church St. I hear he loves Church St.

I go to school on Church Street!

Basically everywhere Schimmy and Wicked said. Also Kensington Market (really close to Chinatown). Let me know if you want to hit up the vapour lounge. It's a roaring good time.

No real input, I just enjoy the word defection. Sounds like you have to leave because you have AIDS or something (sorry buddy).

MattAY said:
No real input, I just enjoy the word defection. Sounds like you have to leave because you have AIDS or something (sorry buddy).

Nope, no aids, though Miami Beach is infested with the HIV.

I have 5 friends living in Japan currently. I still live at home.

On their free time my friends go to castles, try unique food, and get to be part of the global community. In my free time I play video games, drink, play DnD and advise BBYO.

They work 29.5 hours a week and get 7 weeks of vacation. I work 45+ hours a week and get 2 weeks of vacation. Pay is the same.

I got to the point where I feel trapped in Miami, the economy is in the shitter (I still want to get into the Video Game Industry, and feel working on a blog in Japan, as well as possible Localization work could get me a foot in the door when I return to the states. But right now with every month a new studio closing down, now is not the time to be trying to get in.), and I hate the political atmosphere that is accomplishing nothing and both sides are to blame due to their greed. I hate the lack of intellectual debate; I hate that religion is being forced more and more into politics and education, which is the last place religion belongs and the Constitution says so.

So hopefully I get this job, live in Japan for a few years, maybe find a nice Australian/New Zealand/American/Canadian girl, and return to an America that's doing a bit better.

I would make a weekend trip to Austin before I went, however.

Review of Toronto (mostly for Duke)

-Torontonians are nice. Like ridiculously nice. And they are accepting of culture, religion, and level of geekiness (every comic book store I went in had at least 1 female employee who knew her shit).
-Duke: go to the Spadina Garden Restaurant. Its Hakka Food (I know, I had to look it up too). Get the Spicy Peanuts Chicken. You won't regret it.
-Also for Dim Sun try the Bright Pearl on Spadina in Chinatown. Place is huge, don't make the mistake and go by yourself. You won;t be able to enjoy it as much.
-For comics check out The Hairy Tarantula and The Silver Snail. They are both ends of the geek spectrum.
-Rakon is a really cool guy who was my tour guide; I had a great time hanging out with him. If I ever go back, I plan on hanging out with him again.

Hanging out was a blast, Tripp. I ended up having a much better time with you than later that night. Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself.

I know you don't drink, but do you and your friends ever hang out at the Imperial Pub Library? Its a nice little bar filled with students from your college. I grabbed a few pints, cute bar tenderesses, and then crashed since I did the Dundas to Spadina to Bremner to Yong rectangle.

You mean the Imperial right beside your hotel? Not really, because we have a campus pub which is a lot nicer. Not the best thing in the world, but Imperial is kind of dirty.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle