Dredd

malakian

Rookie
Anyone seen this yet/a fan of 2000AD? Judge Dredd is by far my favourite comic book character ever, and I am so pleased the movie is so good! It's quite rare to get a film like that nowadays. I think Karl Urban did the best job of acting with only a jaw that I've ever seen! He was a really good Dredd.

If you havent seen it I really cant recommend it enough!

When I was a kid I didnt read comic books like batman or superman

I read comic books like "Judge Dredd vs the Predator"

was very violent :lol:

The world of Dredd is fascinating if you dig deep enough. My friends and I often play a tabletop RPG set in Dredd's world. You can die during character creation, it's awesome.

Wait this is a thread on the movie dredd or the comic book in general?

Cause i'm no saying i am the greatest dredd fanboy around... but i am the greatest dredd fanboy around *smug*

NecroWolf said:
The movie Dredd, and awesome Lien, I <3 the Dredd universe. Umpty-Bagging ftw
2188707-15_super.jpg

umptycandy.gif

Umpty-baggings foh' life!

Or like this movie is calling it... "Slo-mo" :nono: Sigh...

Too bad Uncle Ump got Chump Dumped.

I'm not sure Slo-Mo is their version of Umpty Bars, if it is, lame.. but at least Dredd doesn't take his helmet off.

2000AD_Flabbon_Ad_by_puggdogg.jpg

in regard to whether this is a movie or comic topic, well...Both. I'm a massive fan of the Dredd comics. I own most of the collected volumes now!

the film is so good though. I am biased as I love the universe already so to see it treated right is such a treat, but it's the best film of the year by a mile IMO. It's like seeing a super stylized, often beautiful and ultra-violent assault on precinct 13 starring everyone's favourite fascist. They said they put a huge amount of work into making the slo mo scenes look great and it really shows.

Also, the film serves as a pretty good introduction to Dredd, seen as it is a pretty normal day in his life. I find Dredd a super character as he's not an anti hero, he's often just a villain (in stories like 'America' he does some pretty awful things). Also the whole world and people of mega city one are superb fun. If anyone's a fan of graphic novels/comics and hasn't given Dredd a look, seriously, do!

PS Walter should have been in the film, amirite.

PPS for sceptical fans of the strip, John Wagner was a full time consultant on the film who said he thinks it's great, and many changes were made at his request to make it as faithful as possible. To sceptical viewers of the 1995 Stallone one...That just wasn't judge Dredd in the least. An amusing movie is the best i can say for it, but it's just a terrible abuse of the character. God knows how i'd feel if I was the 2000AD guys who'd put decades of work in and then that was how the world knew judge dredd for so long..

Well all i am asking is, is the plot of the film a blatant rip-off of that raid: redemption film of months late? Cause that's a big turn-off for me, despise all my love for the dredd...

Lien said:
Well all i am asking is, is the plot of the film a blatant rip-off of that raid: redemption film of months late? Cause that's a big turn-off for me, despise all my love for the dredd...

No, not really. It is similar but the Dredd movie's script was completed before the Raid, the problem is the Dredd movie underwent delay after delay. So, no it doesn't rip it off based on the fact the script was done about a year before the Raid's script was even written.

I don't know if that makes a difference to you, but that's the situation.

My familiarity with Dredd goes no further than the old Stallone movie. Which I loved! I watched it the other morning, still entertaining.

When I first saw the commercial, I was a little skeptical. But the trailer has grown on me. I intend on seeing it when I can, perhaps in a few weeks. Did you see it in 3D? Did it add anything to the overall film or would I be better saving the extra change and just seeing it regular?

No, it isn't about Blockmania. Sorry, I just posted that image because Block War kicks ass. :D

The story is like the trailer says, it was just written well before The Raid, though they share similar concepts. However there IS a block war scene in it, and references to various other crazes.

Sorry for the confusing post, removed the image. I suck at posting, this is an established fact.

NecroWolf said:
Sorry for the confusing post, removed the image. I suck at posting, this is an established fact.
Yeah but then you post more and ruin the status quo.

OK, I'm gonna see it. I certainly wasn't planning to, but you GR peer pressure strikes again.

StickyGreenGamer said:
Did you see it in 3D? Did it add anything to the overall film or would I be better saving the extra change and just seeing it regular?

it's tasteful 3d, in that the scenes dont feel shoehorned in (such as in the new resident evil trailer that i had to sit through, which had people throwing things at the screen constantly). I think it will be as enjoyable in 2d but if its not a financial stretch it's worth seeing it in 3d, as some of the scenes on slo mo look really great, especially one where the perp is playing with water, as it's shot with a super slow motion camera. Looks fab.

Great to see you, mala.

I'm with Daniel. Wasn't planning on seeing this, but now I may.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod