"No thankyou, I'm doing my bit for the planet!"

Do you support the green movement to reduce our carbon footprints and "saves tha planetz"?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oh i support the green movements, but i really, but i mean really, hate the green scare. Yeah sure, the earth needs to be save and we're the one who made it bad for the environment and responsible for the green house effects. But don't say we're monsters and need to repent, we're only human. And don't fool us with weird numbers and words. We're not scientists, just ordinary folk!

Cause next thing we know, we'll be banning water.

I think the first thing to address here is that you are embittered by dealing with people in the retail sector repetitively. This breeds resentment of all humans. Also, 'green status' can easily be tarred with pretension.

Secondly, the plastic bag issue is unfortunately one of these buzz-issues that *some* people think are a catch all solution to the worlds environmental problems, and that is a bit annoying. Who cares about the problems caused by the Chinese economic miracle? Some polar bears or shit? I'm carrying my Kaiser Chiefs CD home in my backpack!! I hope this gets me laid..

Saying that, any steps are some steps and should be encouraged.

I think most shopping centers and grocery stores in my area have those recycling bins in the foyer that you can put your used plastic bags into.

Grey said:
Gabbana said:
yeah theres are millions of bags already manufactured and in your store room, but if u don't take one, then theres 1 less bag thats gonna end up in the trash!

Guess what happens to the ones we don't use. They sit around until we have too many, then a bunch get shipped back to head office, who just send them right on back to us. D:

Grey, if your customers use less bags your company is eventually going to be ordering less of them. It's not like they're going to just keep piling up more and more boxes of plastic bags.

Any significant reduction in the number of bags used is going to have a positive effect.

What I find especially annoying is when I buy 1 or two things and some clerk automatically puts them in a bag. I just take them right back out. Especially annoying is when I buy a bag of chips and they put it in a bag. It's a "bag" of chips buddy, it already comes with a freakin' bag. Are you making extra effort to kill the earth?

Well over a billion single-use plastic bags are given out for free each day. But as the old adage says, nothing comes for free. Here are some facts to illustrate the actual costs paid by our environment and society for the fleeting convenience of unlimited, free, single-use plastic bags. To see the real costs, we must look at the "cradle to grave" multiple impacts and the effects of each phase of a bag's life.

Phase 1: Production Costs

* The production of plastic bags requires petroleum and often natural gas, both non-renewable resources that increase our dependency on foreign suppliers. Additionally, prospecting and drilling for these resources contributes to the destruction of fragile habitats and ecosystems around the world.

* The toxic chemical ingredients needed to make plastic produces pollution during the manufacturing process.

* The energy needed to manufacture and transport disposable bags eats up more resources and creates global warming emissions.

Phase 2: Consumption Costs

* Annual cost to US retailers alone is estimated at $4 billion.

* When retailers give away free bags, their costs are passed on to consumers in the form of higher prices.

Phase 3: Disposal and Litter Costs

* Hundreds of thousands of sea turtles, whales and other marine mammals die every year from eating discarded plastic bags mistaken for food. Turtles think the bags are jellyfish, their primary food source. Once swallowed, plastic bags choke animals or block their intestines, leading to an agonizing death.

* On land, many cows, goats and other animals suffer a similar fate to marine life when they accidentally ingest plastic bags while foraging for food.

* In a landfill, plastic bags take up to 1,000 years to degrade. As litter, they breakdown into tiny bits, contaminating our soil and water.

* When plastic bags breakdown, small plastic particles can pose threats to marine life and contaminate the food web. A 2001 paper by Japanese researchers reported that plastic debris acts like a sponge for toxic chemicals, soaking up a million fold greater concentration of such deadly compounds as PCBs and DDE (a breakdown product of the notorious insecticide DDT), than the surrounding seawater. These turn into toxic gut bombs for marine animals which frequently mistake these bits for food.

* Collection, hauling and disposal of plastic bag waste create an additional environmental impact. An estimated 8 billion pounds of plastic bags, wraps and sacks enter the waste stream every year in the US alone, putting an unnecessary burden on our diminishing landfill space and causing air pollution if incinerated.

* Recycling requires energy for the collection, processing, etc. and doesn't address the above issues. To learn more visit Recycling Can Fix This, Right?

http://www.reusablebags.com/facts.php?id=2

joeblow said:
Grey, if your customers use less bags your company is eventually going to be ordering less of them. It's not like they're going to just keep piling up more and more boxes of plastic bags.

Any significant reduction in the number of bags used is going to have a positive effect.

What I find especially annoying is when I buy 1 or two things and some clerk automatically puts them in a bag. I just take them right back out. Especially annoying is when I buy a bag of chips and they put it in a bag. It's a "bag" of chips buddy, it already comes with a freakin' bag. Are you making extra effort to kill the earth?

As I said before, our head office is a bit loony. Even though we've seen a dramatic cut down in bags used (from what I've been told, I've only been there three days now, although a lot of people today didn't ask for bags) we're still being sent shed loads of them every morning. HO just isn't getting the message.

As for your second point, I always ask people if they'd like a bag or not.

Joeblow is, as usual, bang on the money. Why put something in a bag when it comes in a bag? Subway are notoriously bad for this, or were when i had one last.

Clerks who seem desperate to use bags are not just annoying, but mind boggling.

The higher up that totem poll you get, the less conscientious your company seems to get about going green.

"If you need it, order it."

paper, bags, whatever whatever

That kind of power equals a lot of wasted material in the wrong hands.

Because when it comes to Company Corp., it seems the only ones who have time to care about going green and do something about it are those with too much time on their hands in the first place. That's not a slam, it's just something I've noticed.

In retail, most district managers and regional managers could give a flying fuck about going green if it gets in the way of their numbers. Money is not an issue at that level, and it's not their money anyway.

Going green at home is a start, but the key, as you've stated, is getting these businesses to follow. That's where the substantial waste is produced.

I'm a big enviromentalist. I'm in my early 20's and I've never bothered to get my license since I was 16 because I ride my bike everywhere or use public transit if I have to get from one side of Montreal to the other.

I hate people who think we don't need to do anything because in 100 years we'll all be dead. Don't these people plan on having children?

I work at Whole Foods. We don't use plastic bags anymore.

I buy organic. That's doing my part. I also do what the savior told me to do and check my air pressure in my tires to save gas.

I find the title of this topic funny, actually. Why would you really need to say that?

A simple, "No thank you," or, "Oh, I don't need a bag, thanks," would suffice, elitist.

I think trying to help the planet is awesome, but if you're so concerned about it that you jump on people for not picking paper over plastic, theres definitely a lot more you could be doing. For example, our U.S. military uses thousands and thousands of gallons of Diesel fuel everyday for doing patrols and what not. If you're SO concerned about saving the planet, go get a degree in engineering, design a new engine to run on like Gatorade or something, and propose the Army begin implementing these new engines. Otherwise, just shutup and do "your part" humbly and don't try to make people feel bad for not doing enough, cuz neither are you.

As for me... I'm not that concerned about it. I don't litter. That's about as far as I'll go to save the planet. Sorry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle