GTA V

Ya I feel you guys harrrrd on the frustration. I was trying for 2 days straight. Once I finally got in around midnight last night I had to force myself to stop playing around 4 in the morning. Work is dragging today heh

Driving 10 minutes to blaine county with a friend in the passenger's seat bumpin tunes, to then break into a meth lab and steal the goods? Then you gotta hit the road to make the delivery with 5 cars full of gang members shooting at you? It's just to quote Sam L., "hold onto your butts".

danielrbischoff said:
Hey ToyLatrine here's the link to our SocialClub:
http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/gamerevolution

I tried to get on GTA Online again last night and couldn't get past the first race. I'm super frustrated and I don't think I'll have a very good impression of GTA Online for at least another two weeks.

As a reviewer doesn't that actually tarnish the game experience?

I expressed this to some folks and they keep telling me I need to relax, but I feel objectively this is really a poor showing by Rockstar if you ask me.

LinksOcarina said:
I expressed this to some folks and they keep telling me I need to relax, but I feel objectively this is really a poor showing by Rockstar if you ask me.

You are absolutely justified in your outrage. This is poor management - rip into them!

LinksOcarina said:
As a reviewer doesn't that actually tarnish the game experience? I expressed this to some folks and they keep telling me I need to relax, but I feel objectively this is really a poor showing by Rockstar if you ask me.
Not at all. I would happily pay $60 over again for just the single player campaign. The world is that big, diverse, entertaining, believeable etc etc. I feel like GTA Online is icing on the cake. If they had this at launch I don't know if I would see it as part of the game still because historically my experience has been SP in GTA. GTA IV's multiplayer was a sideshow too. It was like "well it's the first crack at multiplayer for GTA so it gets a pass."

With this I feel like we know how massive this is and how millions and millions of people are out there playing it. I don't remember/don't care to look who said it earlier but GTA doesn't tax servers and consoles and internet connections like a Call of Duty does, contained in a small map. What's more, it's not like SimCity where totally needless internet requirements are fucking up the whole thing or like a Battlefield 3 where the point of the game is multiplayer. The point of this game is the world and there's probably more you can go do in it while Rockstar gets everything running online.

danielrbischoff said:
LinksOcarina said:
As a reviewer doesn't that actually tarnish the game experience? I expressed this to some folks and they keep telling me I need to relax, but I feel objectively this is really a poor showing by Rockstar if you ask me.
Not at all. I would happily pay $60 over again for just the single player campaign. The world is that big, diverse, entertaining, believeable etc etc. I feel like GTA Online is icing on the cake. If they had this at launch I don't know if I would see it as part of the game still because historically my experience has been SP in GTA. GTA IV's multiplayer was a sideshow too. It was like "well it's the first crack at multiplayer for GTA so it gets a pass."

With this I feel like we know how massive this is and how millions and millions of people are out there playing it. I don't remember/don't care to look who said it earlier but GTA doesn't tax servers and consoles and internet connections like a Call of Duty does, contained in a small map. What's more, it's not like SimCity where totally needless internet requirements are fucking up the whole thing or like a Battlefield 3 where the point of the game is multiplayer. The point of this game is the world and there's probably more you can go do in it while Rockstar gets everything running online.

I would have to argue that point with you Daniel as if the two offerings were marketed and packaged separately I would see your point as valid. However, I find that if you market a product as the two parts equating to the whole then they have fallen significantly short of the mark. I couldn't honestly give the game 5 stars simply because a significant portion of the game has such glaring issues. This would set precedence as to segmenting a game for review when it is clearly advertised as being able to provide two solid elements and has failed at one. Earlier on in this generation games were notched down for tacked on multiplayer. I understand the core elements of the single player outshines a crapload of other games but with regard to the product actually living up to what was intended by the developer and as advertised I would have to say they failed to a certain extent. So not to argue the merits of the single player because even the idea that you would disregard a core component of a game due to just how amazing one element is speaks to the quality of the single player but the product as a whole has come up short in my opinion...Note: coming up short in this case is relative as I still love the game just wished all the elements I paid for and that were advertised worked as well as the single player.

I think these two offerings are marketed separately enough. GTA Online has its own name, title sequence, logo, "box art" (sorta), so in my mind these are very separate. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw GTA Online pop up fairly early in PS4 and X1 lifecycles (for pay or even free-to-play but probably not subscription based) followed by the "Online" world getting expanded with subsequent GTA releases. (I hope Vice City comes next)

It wasn't like Max Payne 3 came out and they said "wait, Max Payne Online is launching with Max Payne 3!" They said here's GTA V, this is this and that is that and that isn't this and this isn't that but they come together because we can't well charge you for a buggy online component with microtransactions that doesn't even work on the first day but this will be your ticket... into that and that will grow as the franchise moves forward.

Normally, I'd be right there with you Shandog, Links, whoever else. With a lot of AAA games it's the multiplayer component that drives sales, but here it's the opposite. I doubt many people who bought the game will ever play multiplayer because their PS3 or 360 isn't hooked up, subscribed for online play. GTA is just that game. It's that massive, wide-reaching, and it delivers completely so this time it gets a pass from me.

Definitely respect your opinions though. Any other time and you'd have me. The GTA Online review will absolutely not be a 5 for obvious reasons; this whole launch has been horrid. But this is why we decided to review the two separately. On its own, if it never had multiplayer or there was never any implication of multiplayer or even as was the case where multiplayer simply didn't work, GTA V gets a 5 in my book.

Considering I got on line pretty easily I feel for the people that can't play. Best advice I can say is...

Go into the multiplayer character creation and delete any characters you've made, which sucks but if your not past the tutorial it shouldn't be too hard to recreate your guy if you remember what you chose. Quit the game and go delete the update data on your PS3 or 360, it should be 1.01 at 39MB for PS3 and 56MB for 360. Restart the game and download the update once more, load into singleplayer and then load the multiplayer portion from there in Solo play.

Worked for me and a couple of friends. Seems they stabilized the servers somewhat as well but I play after midnight EST.

The multiplayer portion being knocked by reviewers and fans alike isn't really a big deal for most considering how ridiculous and large the sp portion of the game is. I'm still hopping back and forth doing extra things and little missions that I missed while playing through the story although mp with friends is as fun as IV with even more to do. I really cannot wait until they get everything running great and start adding the heists and other features.

The GTA Online to me is a nice bonus to play with friends in GTA again with a better world with more to do but GTA V alone was WELL worth the money on launch day.

shandog137 said:
Well said Daniel.
Although I did find something I hated in the single-player just last night. Has anyone tried replaying missions for Gold 100%? There are a few that require you to be "unmarked" or basically avoid getting shot at at all...

Those requirements are fucking bull shit.

danielrbischoff said:
shandog137 said:
Well said Daniel.
Although I did find something I hated in the single-player just last night. Has anyone tried replaying missions for Gold 100%? There are a few that require you to be "unmarked" or basically avoid getting shot at at all...

Those requirements are fucking bull shit.
They reminded me of the assassin creed 100% synchronization mission. I avoided all of them, personally. Just a cheap ploy to force you to redo the missions.

Looks like it's gonna be more frustrating to get the 100% completion achievement on GTA 5 then with red dead redemption.

You don't need all mission golds to 100% the game. Even the side stuff like races and flying you only need to medal (third or better) to count towards 100% completion.

... But you do need 70 gold trophies to get a gold trophy, if your goal is platinum or top achievement thingy.

Eh ... There's over 100 opportunities for gold medals, so the harder ones still aren't really worth even retrying.

Got online. Played for a bit. It's fun, but has some problems. Like RDR, the people who have played longer and have guns that can 1 hit kill win every fight in freeroam. Unlike RDR, you lose ammo and money every single time you die. So if you lose all your shotgun ammo, it's gone. And you lose waaaaaay too much money every single time you die.

It's fun, but not worth holding your breath over.

I think the best part of online (so foar) is being able to play golf, but only 4 people can do that.

Daniel, have you gotten through to GTA online, yet? They've launched the title update I've mentioned about. Gotta get more crew members. I've only killed used so far and he killed me back. Fun little 1 vs 1.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod