The thread of self dissapoint.

A scientist is an individual that works at creating or extending models of the world around and within us that fit what we observe. A Mech. Engineer is an individual that utilizes established scientific ideas to solve everyday problems. Engineers certainly know a lot of science but they are not scientists.

What you're talking about is a researcher or research scientist.

Definition

sci·en·tist   
[sahy-uhn-tist] Show IPA
–noun
an expert in science, esp. one of the physical or natural sciences.

scientist (ˈsaɪəntɪst)

â€â€

Hey, hey, hey! Bill Nye is NOT a scientist. He is much more...he is a SCIENCE GUY!!!

Also, I should include /sarcasm more often. But thanks for the definitions, dudes.

I'm a bachelor, baby.

Plus, if someone says to me they're a mechanical engineer, I'd assume that's college talk for Fork lift driver. Or under-the-hood tamperer.

DocMoc said:
BelgianROFLs said:
What you're talking about is a researcher or research scientist.

Engineers are not scientific experts.

Really? You're just getting ridiculous now. Try the second definition if that one doesn't suit you. They are certainly "a person who studies or practises any of the sciences or who uses scientific methods".

I still stand by my position because I know scientists and I know engineers. I attended five years of undergrad with them and there is a distinct difference.

I like the arguing. It makes things interesting so long as it's civil.

I think you are trying to create a distinction that is not there. You are not operating within the accepted definition of the word "scientist." Engineers are indeed a type of scientist. "Scientist" is a broad and vague term within which "Engineer" is one type, and to try to argue it to be such a narrow definition is asinine. Where do you draw the line? Are geologists scientists? Biologists? Physicists? Mathematicians? Genetic ENGINEERS?

Genetic ENGINEERS aren't traditional engineers because they are using completely different material to build structures with.

When I lost my virginity, very disappointing day indeed.... for her...

And Bill Nye teaches science so he's a scientist, who cares about the details.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle