So... Elder Scrolls 5..

malakian said:
I think you saying I don't know what the 'purpose' of a video game is shows a mindset stuck in an 16 bit era, de ting. I replayed FF7 a few years ago and skipped the entire midgar section thanks to my save file, and levelled my chars up with an action replay. I was happy I did as the first bit sucked and I wanted to go through the story again. Why should I *have* to go through it in the manner of an occupation? It's draconian. You are clearly considerably worse than Adolf Hitler.
Lol, Hitler? Look, people buy games to PLAY them. They PLAY them to experience their stories. If they want to, nothing's stopping them from PLAYing up to a certain point and saving a new files so they can PLAY through their favorite part over and over again (unless the game actually controls their saves.)

Anyway, I can't wait for TES V so I can PLAY the game the way it was meant to be PLAYed. I love PLAYing video games, because unlike movies, you have to PLAY them to experience what's provided to you, making every time you PLAY unique.

Just for good measure, PLAYPLAYPLAYPLAYPLAY.

Just got an xbox slim and the graphics i think are better then the ps3 slim in my personal opinion. Anyways loved Oblivion wish i had a chance to play the other ones but oh well can't wait for this one. That and mass effect 3 since i played the first one and loved it beyond belief.

kingg5 said:
Just got an xbox slim and the graphics i think are better then the ps3 slim in my personal opinion.

Wait....On what games? I didn't think they made any gpu changes on the slim.

Edit: There are no GPU changes. It will depend entirely on the game. I know Assassin's Creed II looked better on the 360 than the PS3 though, definitely.

Anyways, did you get to fight dragons in the other ones? If there's no dragons in Oblivion I'll be disappointed. All there is besides bears, crabs and bandits are the creatures from the other side of the portal. I know...I'm obsessing about the dragons.

No dragons in Oblivion. In fact, there aren't in any in the other games, since they're pretty much believed to be extinct. The fact that they say there will be in Skyrim is a huge deal. The only other game to have dragons is Daggerfall, and even then they're not that big.

madster111 said:
*Skyrim will take pace in the Nordic lands in Tamriel. As the teaser trailer indicated there will be dragons and a mysterious character known as the Dovahkiin or dragon born. Apparently a person that is dragon born can’t be touched by dragons.
If dragons are numerous, then really it won't be the first thing Todd Howard has fucked up regarding the lore.

De-Ting said:
If they want to, nothing's stopping them from PLAYing up to a certain point and saving a new files so they can PLAY through their favorite part over and over again (unless the game actually controls their saves.)

Anyway, I can't wait for TES V so I can PLAY the game the way it was meant to be PLAYed. I love PLAYing video games, because unlike movies, you have to PLAY them to experience what's provided to you, making every time you PLAY unique.

Counting stats and apportioning +1 skills every so often isn't what I consider 'playing'. I consider it drudgery, so I don't know why you keep capitalising the word play. For the record, I PLAY a lot of games, and i've PLAYED might and magic I through VI (documented here and here), so I am quite familiar with the way RPGs used to be. I don't think it's relevant as a forced must in an age where the game is an incredibly substantial experience without such bewildering wastes of time. Playing oblivion on god mode would still take 60 hours+ to do all the quests and enjoy the world.

Secondly, your argument is mitigated by your own non sequacious '(unless...)'! Unless it fits in with the developers opinions on how you should be boxed in to playing it in this specific game? Prime example! The sooner the long shift from industry boxing-in to consumer choice is finished, the happier i'll be as a PLAYER.

Dude, Oblivion lets you choose whether or not you want to micromanage your stats. Not only that, but on the $20 GotY PC version, there's a couple good mods that change the leveling system entirely. Your argument is invalid. I reject your reality, and substitute my own!

And as for the (unless), I brought up a completely different subject that doesn't refer to Oblivion, but rather gives an example of how it isn't anything near as bad as you say.

No it doesn't. And an after market mod does not invalidate my argument - my 360 copy gives me no choice, nor does DLC change that.

Your 'unless' wasn't relevant to *this* specific game, no, but was directly relevant to my argument on RPG design attitude as a whole.

Your argument was invalidated by the previous statement, that you are not forced to micromanage anything in Oblivion, because it's all up to you. And I can't name a single RPG that limits your ability to save. Even games that do save automatically, like Diablo and Titan Quest, still give you the option to go back to any previous place you've visited and even kill the same bosses over again.

Although that's off on a tangent, saving the game does come under the umbrella of what i'm saying, and just looking over my shoulder now i can see games that require save points. Star ocean and ff xiii for instance. It still happens.

As far as not forced to micromanage, that's simply untrue. you need to micromanage stats to advance your character which is required to play the game as certain quests bar you from entry based on stats. In fallout 3 it was even more apparent when insufficient skill stats stopped you interacting with objects and doors. I'm meant to believe that in a nuclear war torn wasteland I cant just force open a thin door because I haven't put enough points on a score card? Most unimmersive.

I don't know about you guys, but I actually liked jumping everywhere to get my athletics skill up...So much so that jumping over people was one of my favorite ways to waste time in Oblivion.

I get where Mala is coming from. I personally love Oblivion and Fallout for what they are, but I have a friend who loves the gameplay, stories and style but was scared off by the menus and the vastness of the game. But at the same time he complains about the shallowness of action games and other genres outside of RPGs. Obviously, they run the risk of scaring off purchasers by making the game cumbersome.

The question is, how simple would it be to throw an easy button in for a game programmer? Because a movies and books are completely different animals in my mind's eye. They are, and will always be, experienced the same way every time! Now my emotional and mental state may vary causing a different reaction to the material, but it is always the same scenes or sentences eliciting a variety of reactions depending on me, the viewer. Now opening all cutscene and story content wouldn't be hard, especially on games where it's there but has a lock symbol. And in this case it would be "Customer Beware: Spoilers Lie Ahead".

But as far as character management goes, you have a very large group of people that specifically like these games for this exact reason. They want the crunch and the weights and balances of making a character. They enjoy the knowledge that their character needs this stat but they have to sacrifice proficiency in another area to get that. They enjoy working on skills in real time to achieve great skill since it's more analogous to real life. Are they bad or wrong for that? No. Is it bad that you want a more stream-lined process? No. So it comes back to that easy button? How much would it change the programming? How much would it cost in development and man hours? And would that garner enough new customers to validate the expenditure? IPeople will buy what they want out of a game.

And in the end, some people like checkers, some people like chess, and I LOVE Hungry Hungry Hippos.

Green_Lantern said:
I don't know about you guys, but I actually liked jumping everywhere to get my athletics skill up...So much so that jumping over people was one of my favorite ways to waste time in Oblivion.

Agree. This was the novel concept that first attracted me to the ES series.

I assume you mean the Bethesda Fallout 3. I'd say... Fallout 3 over Oblivion. I like the aforementioned 'grow the skills you use' way of ES, but I prefer the perks and traits of Fallout.

I'd say I prefer Fallout. I just like EXP - nice and simple. If Fallout had more quests (since you level when you complete them), it'd be miles better for me.

I tended to like Oblivions better because you don't need FAQs or to go searching for bobbleheads or magazines to get all of your skills up to max....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod