So... Elder Scrolls 5..

Mountains, you say?

541542-morwnd_20080113_204646b_super.png

I told myself I wouldnt try to get back into the forums before I got my laptop come christmas, but fuck it, Ive needed to talk about this all damn day.

OH GOD YES.

I was actually playing Oblivion when my friend invited me to a party and told me about Skyrim. For some reason I thoght that Skyrim was the area with the monkey, snake, and cat like people, but not exactly kajhit. UESP is a god send.

Oh, also, at least TES has been to Nordic lands before. Theres the morrowind xpac that took you there. Maybe that means we'll see the return of the werewolves?

All I know is that Im pumped. And that Bethesda could make an awesome MMORPG using TES, with expansions adding areas of Tamriel.

What do you guys think the chances of the Bethesda pack on Steam going for sale this christmas are? I really need these ES games on my PC rather than just consoles....

Question is, again I hate to pop bubbles, but will with be oblivion lite? Morrowind was the best of the series, everything went the right way (like knees), and it was packed full of good reading.

Again, the consoles come to mind, I'm excited, but I'm also expecting a dumbing down; hell, I'm expecting it to be like mass effect 2 but with a sword. The xbox, which is slated to last another five years, can't handle much more. Am I the only person that has noticed that graphics in games across the board haven't improved much (outside of cosmetics)?

... I need to write a manifesto.

LinksOcarina said:
Longo_2_guns said:
LinksOcarina said:
My concern is the region, Skyrim is kinda plain, only mountains and snow and s*** like that, not exactly diverse ad Vvardenfell or Cyrodill.
Well, Cyrodil was originally a massive jungle, and they changed that. So who knows what they'll do.

I thought it was Elswhyr that was the jungle/desert lands or something....
There are jungles there, but they extend up to Cyrodiil, and in every game prior to Oblivion it was referred to as a vast jungle. Todd Howard retconned that because "That wasn't what people thought of when they want fantasy." I would've loved Oblivion so much more if they ditched trying to be Tolkenesque and went on the creative route. Like Shivering Isles is so, so, so much better, save for all the bugs in it.

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
Again, the consoles come to mind, I'm excited, but I'm also expecting a dumbing down; hell, I'm expecting it to be like mass effect 2 but with a sword. The xbox, which is slated to last another five years, can't handle much more. Am I the only person that has noticed that graphics in games across the board haven't improved much (outside of cosmetics)?
The Xbox 360 is currently outdated.
That's a simple fact. The technology wasn't really new back in 05 when it was made, and it hasn't changed much since. The Slim has been a minor update, but what do you think the chances are of microsoft allowing slim-only games?

That's the problem with multiplatform games. They're limited to whatever the weakest console of the generation is, and the 360 is mighty fucking weak these days.
The PS3 has another 2-3 years in it yet before it starts to show its age, whereas microsoft realistically need to release a new Xbox by 2012 in order for games to not be held back.

And yes, i also fear that Skyrim will be dumbed down for the consoles, but for my sanity alone, i have to believe that it won't be. I have to believe they will make it as good as they can, and then ruin the graphics so it can run on 360 while leaving the PS3 and PC versions alone.
And considering we've finally got mid range video cards that can max out crysis, maybe they won't hold back graphic wise and finally run some decent textures and such.

I very much hope they do 'dumb it down'. Here's why!

Like morrowind and subsequently oblivion, I was gripped to both mass effects. I much preferred the way of playing in 2. The plot is what I'm primarily in it for, and gameplay as a second. With oblivion it was exploring and questing. I didn't want a challenge when it came to levelling up my illusion skill, I just want to immerse myself in the world, and stat counting doesn't do it for me.

The biggest problem I have with gamer snobbery over the simplification of character progression is that some people want the experience of the narrative without the grind. My main reason for this is I don't have time to even play the games I own (fallout nv is still in the foil since my pre order arrived), and I don't want to have to trudge through antiquated menu fiddling just to satiate people who have more spare time than me who decry it as a cop out.

I do not understand why in RPG gaming you cannot have ultimate control over whether you want it to be a difficult grind or not have that element at all. I have permanently abandoned FFXIII on disc 3 as I just do not have the time (or wish to devote my time) to grind enough boring fights to make my characters able to progress, despite having semi-enjoyed it up to that point.

When you buy a new album, it doesn't deign to not let you skip to track 3. When someone buys a DVD, the DVD does not dictate to you how it is watched; you can skip a scene if you want. In gaming, the residual snobbery of 'it is no good if it isn't a challenge*!' seems to still permeate the gaming world to the point that developers take it as a given truth most of the time.

As a consumer, I believe it's ridiculous I don't have control over my bought product. Games nowadays are extremely multifaceted. The visuals, voice acting, frankly awesome music/sound design on these big budget titles, plots and characters are all things that someone shouldn't have to love dungeons and dragons type number crunching to be 'allowed' to engage with.

*(read: repetitive time sink)

^I've never had to grind in a TES game. Complexity is what the game is about; freedom of choice is what makes a western RPG a western RPG. I enjoyed the mass effect series as well, but I feel too much was decided for me; why do I have to level up ice rounds before getting fire rounds? What the hell does it matter, it's a gun mod, any moron can do it.

If I want my experience controlled and managed, I'll play a Jrpg, but until then, I like the freedom to go to where I want and have things happen whenever, I don't want to have to fight down a corridor when I could just sneak by them all or use invisibly to get around; I want to leave and come back later.

It's not snobbery, it's common sense.

So Mala, what you're saying is that you're saying is you want every game to come with everything unlocked in order to make you happy? If there's a secret level that you can only get by beating it you simply want it to be readily available to you the second you boot up the game? I really don't see the point in a game if you don't have to work to beat it. Half of the fun of TES is its complexity, and if you can't do that then maybe the game isn't for you...

Complaining about not having full control over a game is like saying you should be able to control what happens in a movie, honestly.

If you think that movies and games should be the same in that you can just fast-forward or rewind to any point right from when you first start it up, you obviously don't know what the purpose of a video game is.

Freedom VS Complexity?

Maybe that just means they'll be a few more speech options. Dont let them suck you in with fancy phrases! :p

Yes Schimmel! That is what I'm saying. Do CDs and DVDs suck because you have instant freedom over the content therein? You might not see the point in not working to beat it, ant that's exactly my point. As I said, I certainly do see the point. If we both buy something why is it we both have to do it the way you want to? I'd like to do it differently.

I think you saying I don't know what the 'purpose' of a video game is shows a mindset stuck in an 16 bit era, de ting. I replayed FF7 a few years ago and skipped the entire midgar section thanks to my save file, and levelled my chars up with an action replay. I was happy I did as the first bit sucked and I wanted to go through the story again. Why should I *have* to go through it in the manner of an occupation? It's draconian. You are clearly considerably worse than Adolf Hitler.

I think freedom vs complexity isn't exactly the issue, more a problem with the situation as it seems to me that freedom begets unavoidable complexity. TESs endless menus and such are complicated and I personally don't like that aspect of the games.

I'm going to dumb the topic down here and just say one thing about the new ES....

......DARGONS!!!!11!!!11

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod