The Best Modern RPG Franchises

Jonathan_Leack

Former Executive Editor
Y'all know me, still same ol' G, but I've been low key.

I just finished a feature titled Top 10 Modern RPG Video Game Franchises, and I'm hoping to hear what fellow RPG fans think of the genre right now. Here's my list and the article:

10. Rune Factory
9. Tales
8. Monster Hunter
7. Bravely
6. Xeno
5. Fire Emblem
4. The Witcher
3. Persona
2. Souls
1. The Elder Scrolls

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/642003-top-10-modern-rpg-video-game-franchises

I've certainly been itching for my RPG fix for a few years. Bravely Default is doing an adequate job, but I could use similar in style on a next-gen console. The problem is RPGs take years to develop, so we won't be seeing anything of the sort for a while.

Replace Persona with SMT. That is considerably more accurate, considering Persona is just a small part of a massive franchise.

5. Fire Emblem
4. The Witcher
1. The Elder Scrolls

8) Are the only one's I've played at all, but boy are they good! (The right order too, Jonathan.)

Jonathan_Leack said:
Bretimus_v2 said:
No Fallout?

Fallout 3 was incredibly good. However, New Vegas wasn't so great...
Great, now Longo will pout all day. We will never hear the end of his rant. Thanks a lot Jon!

Also, nice touch for adding Rune Factory! I love that franchise, i always thought the fourth game on the 3DS is a underrated game.

Jonathan_Leack said:
Bretimus_v2 said:
No Fallout?

Every so often someone says something that makes feel nothing but pity for them. For some people this is common, for others out never happens at all.

This is one of those moments.

Longo_2_guns said:
Jonathan_Leack said:
Bretimus_v2 said:
No Fallout?

Every so often someone says something that makes feel nothing but pity for them. For some people this is common, for others out never happens at all.

So you pity me because I didn't like New Vegas?

It's not like I'm alone. It was received only moderately well.

I find that extremely condescending by the way.

Yeah, I guess that was kinda harsh, even for me. Take it with a grain of salt.

It's just that while Fallout 3 was great, New Vegas was better in every way. So when you say that it just makes me want to make fun of you.

Whether or not you think Fallout 3 is better than New Vegas or vice versa. Don't forget there's a Fallout 1 and Fallout 2, and those games were pretty well received in the PC community. Atleast better received than Monster Hunter in the U.S.

Lien said:
Great, now Longo will pout all day. We will never hear the end of his rant. Thanks a lot Jon!
Longo_2_guns said:

Told ya...

And what cyberjim said. I know this is about recent RPGs.

I'm surprised I didn't see the Mass Effect trilogy on that list, but fair enough.

I also agree, while I believe Fallout 3 was an amazing game (and I loved Fallout 1 and 2 way before it), Fallout: New Vegas to me wasn't that great and was unfortunately a disappointing experience for me.

Yeah, Mass Effect has to be on there somewhere near the top.

Also I feel that Bravely Default should be replaced/absorbed by Final Fantasy. It and 4 Heroes of Light are FF games in everything but name.

I can't think of any other RPGs out that that needed mentioning and are better than the ones listed. I'm sure they're out there. Maybe split the list from JRPGs to WRPGs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle