Quit your jobs and lets go travel!

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by Dobby2244, May 26, 2013.

1. Optimus-Crime

Optimus-Crime Rookie

2. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Psssst, Chris - nothing's changed.

3. Optimus-Crime

Optimus-Crime Rookie

Darn tootin'

4. Dobby2244

Dobby2244 Veteran

Thanks Optimus, that made me smile. nd I agree that on these boards that you are either loved or hated. But it's easy to be cruel to people online

Don't get me wrong, it is scary sometimes! Especially knowing I'm going to be going to a lot more Eastern European countries this time and trying to speak the language but you can't let fear get in your way. When you're in an uncomfortable environment it changes you for the better. Nothing is ever bad as you think it will be. I guess because in school I was so shy and felt like I didnt belong there, so now I want to prove to myself that I can do anything I put my mind to!

Anyways, on another travel note, I climbed the 3 highest peaks of the Uk last weekend. Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon! What a cool accomplishment! Maybe ill share a few photos.

I won't be naked though hahaha

5. Dobby2244

Dobby2244 Veteran

[​IMG]
    Ben Nevis

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Halfway up Ben Nevis

[​IMG]
    The Three Sisters

[​IMG]
    Halfway up Scafell Pike

[​IMG]
    Snowdon

[​IMG]
    Halfway down snowdon

[​IMG]

6. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

Cool!
    So when you get to the top of these what do they have up there for fun? Laser Tag?

7. UrbanMasque

UrbanMasque Everyone Wears a Mask

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. C_nate

C_nate Rookie

Well, personally I think it is nice that you are able to do what you want, when you want, Dobby.

Traveling is not my thing, so it does nothing for me personally.

I think it's great you were able to save up to be able to travel all over and do the things you want to. I started working when I was 16 too. Except, instead of saving, I spent my youth spending my money on clothes, CD's, and alcohol. If the me of today, sitting here, could talk to the me back then, I'd tell myself to stop pissing my money away on frivolous shit and save for the future.

You saved up 8 grand already. Save up a little more and you got enough money for a down payment on a nice little starter home. The prices of homes are slowly creeping back up along with interest rates. They may never get back to the levels they were at in 2007 but I think in a few years, maybe five or so, you won't be able to find a house anywhere near as cheap as you can get one now and at such a low interest rate.

So while your advice to us was to get out and see the world, my advice to you would be to invest in your future. Just a little something to think about.

9. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice google Image work there Dobby.

I jest! Looks cool, I await more pictures of adventure!

10. UghRochester

UghRochester https://www.twitch.tv/ughrochester

Haha, Urban made me laugh.

11. Dobby2244

Dobby2244 Veteran

No I wish. The first two there is nothing. But snowdon has a cafe, which was nice coz that day it was torrential rain and 60mph winds :shock:

That's true. You should think about your future and often I wonder what I will do, but I have faith everything will work out. There could be a huge storm and take down your house and possessions with it. I don't like a lot of material things and would rather have knowledge and experience. I don't expect everyone to want to travel but it is my passion in life and I respect that you are investing in your future. But I also feel I'm investing in my future by learning about the world :) I also don't want to have any regrets in life and I always think if today is my last day on earth am I happy with everything I did? yes

12. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice photos, Dobby. Looks like you visited a beautiful place recently.

I recently did some travelling... except it was for work and not for long. My boss, my workmate and I travelled to a place called Milimgimbi, a small island off the coast of the Northern Territory, probably about four or five hundred kilometer's from where I live (Darwin). We were there doing some film and photography work.

Milimgimbi is a nice place, pretty small, population is less than a thousand and the population is pretty much scattered amongst "camps". I'll post some photos later on. Got some bloody weird arse stories from that place too... funny, but weird.

13. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I just flew to Ft. Worth for less than 24 hours for work if that counts.

14. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

Pics or it didn't matter.

15. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

16. NickKmet

NickKmet Regular

I was in New York City a few weeks ago to find an apartment for this fall. This next Christmas I'll be in Hawaii. That's as much travelling as I get, these days.

17. Eyebrowsbv31

Eyebrowsbv31 Rookie

Some reason the "these days" part really irritates me.
    Damn wealthy white folks.

18. NickKmet

NickKmet Regular

wealthy? hahahahaha. good joke.

My family used to go on more trips around the country. We went camping at yellowstone for a few weeks when I was really young, and one time we did a trip to the east coast where we visited civil war battlefields. But really, we don't travel much anymore since my dad got really involved in local politics and my brother and I went off to college. But I've never been on a lavishly expensive vacation, and I've only been out of the country (besides Canada) once, and that was on a school trip.

Sure, my parents aren't poor and don't have blue collar jobs, but wealthy? Yeah, right.

19. Dobby2244

Dobby2244 Veteran

I'm so flippin happy!!!!!

20. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Care to elaborate why?