Quit your jobs and lets go travel!

Well I'll have you all know I'm not using any of my parents money. I have been living on my own for 7 years, saved and live a very minimalist lifestyle to afford my trips

I travel with my parent's money, though that's more because I travel with my dad whenever we can. Mostly because I'm the only person in the family who's willing to get up at the crack of dawn with him and go adventure through places like Japan and China nonstop for 10 days. Hell, I even out travel him by refusing to eat or drink anything American when I'm in another country.

And when I have kids, I'll do the same with them.

C_nate said:
I think Urban is referring to the phenomenon of the young, white college age woman / man who comes from a well to do family that allows them to view life as a giant adventure just waiting to happen. All they need is a backpack full of their stuff and a plane ticket to wherever their heart fancies. Their head is in the clouds and their whole life is yet ahead of them. The have no kids to tie them down, no responsibilities beyond themselves, not a care in the world.

They have not yet and maybe never will be beaten down by life to become a jaded, cynical asshole such as myself, and not have to face the harsh realty that saying "Fuck it, I feel like traveling through Europe for the next few months." Is a luxury many will never be able to afford financially and or logistically for a myriad of reasons.

They played off the stereotype in Hostel if you remember. So on that note, all the best wishes in your travels, try not to wind up in a Hostel slaughter factory.
^ All my this

Dobby2244 said:
Well I'll have you all know I'm not using any of my parents money. I have been living on my own for 7 years, saved and live a very minimalist lifestyle to afford my trips
5120447.jpg

How did you come to find yourself across the river?

I traveled with my parents money until High school graduation. After that, all me. I have a resort property that I wind up selling time on because I can't get away for anything. It just bugs me that people can whimsically travel and as Nate suggested, make it sound like this life adventure when in reality it doesnt matter because they'll probably wind up more well of then me anyway. Not saying that.s what you're doing.. just giving you shit b/c you fit in the scope of this phenomena.

I moved, 2000 miles away, to California for 4 years because I've always wanted to live there. Now I've moved back to middle America to go back to college. I'm glad I spent my last, hard earned, $600 to move there.

Maybe one day I'll move back to California. I've had some of the best experiences and memories out there. Its great to move to a place where everyone seems to be like you and more open minded than your home state.
Its just too expensive to live there and go to college. Plus its hot. I like to be cool. I like North California and the people there.

I'll admit what I did was risky, but If someone doesn't have any real dependants other than themselves I suggest they consider to follow their dream.

Doing this sort of shit is the reason i don't have a 9-5 job or regular girlfriend/boyfriend.
If i wanna go chill in Queensland for a couple days, i call work and be like 'back later', jump in my falcon and listen to 80s music for a 10 hour drive.
Cheap motel, extra blankets to make the bed soft, go hang for however long i want or until i run out of money, 8hr drive back (Start at 1am, listen to 'wanted dead or alive' on repeat, ignore speed limits).

If you can't escape your life when you want to, what's the point?

I wish for stuff but never do it. I'm ridiculously lazy - that's my problem! Someone needs to literally pick me up and take me.....anyone?

I read the other day the "Top 5 regrets on a deathbed". An article nurses have cobbled together. Apparently number 1 is not doing things for yourself and doing what other people expect of you.
So maddy probably has it down to a T right now. No full time jobs and no commitment...not until we want kids and shit.

MattAY said:
No full time jobs and no commitment...not until we want kids and shit.
More or less, yep.

I'm currently waiting for the RAAF to start taking delivery of F-35s and/or the Navy to get the AEGIS destroyers, before i sign up. Means i still have another 3-4 years of irresponsibility before i settle down, which gives me enough time to travel to the places i want and party all night.
2 monthish trip to the US next year, followed by a couple week or even month trip to Japan mid-2015, back home and join the ADF to start in 2016.

In the meantime, i'm trying to convince my mates to travel around Australia with me, but because they already have their commitments (boy/girlfriends, steady jobs, etc) it's difficult. I've never seen Uluru or been to Perth, so that'd be an awesome road-trip. Totally keen to meet up in QLD and check out the mana bar and such with dobby and craig.

UrbanMasque said:
Dobby2244 said:
5120447.jpg

How did you come to find yourself across the river?

I had a job since I was 15 and saved over $8grand

MattAY said:
I wish for stuff but never do it. I'm ridiculously lazy - that's my problem! Someone needs to literally pick me up and take me.....anyone?

Well I can't pick you up physically but I'll see you at St Pancras then on the 15th! ;)

Dobby, as a single white girl we want to believe you're mooching off rich parents, like Longo except in Europe but with everything else applying.
Basically I've taken the moment to call Longo a girl. It wasn't subtle at all. And I've made the conscious effort to call attention to my quip to separate it from being taken as a humorous if not snide remark and instead place it at its intended destination in fact, in reality, landing palpably at the door step of Longo's day-to-day life.

In summation, Longo_2_guns is a single white girl who mooches off his parents, whether it be for clothes, vehicle needs, food, or for traveling, while Dobby is a single white girl who has made a living on her own.

Actually, I feel Dobby is Jenny from Forrest Gump. Goes off with a bunch of hippies and explore the world whilst doing crazy drugs. F*ck a retarded boy, because that retarded boy is the only person that still thinks she's an angels. Leaves and does other sh*t. Eventually, all this exploring comes to an end and it's time to life straighten out, get married and die. Basically what I'm saying is, it's cool to be able to do these adventures, but eventually life has to continue and new responsibilities awaits.

Ugh, those sound like the broken words of a broken man.

Truth is, so long as you're not tied down by family or commitments, the world is yours to explore at the drop of a hat. We find Dobby's story fascinating because we don't have the balls to do the same, and a 115 pound girl has done and seen more in her life before 30 than most of us ever will in our entire lives. It's humbling, better read inspiring. She didn't have to become a dropout druggie to find nirvana, she found it on a Wednesday afternoon because she could.

Dobby ran with the bulls last year. I can't remember who won any award for GR Awards last year, but I do remember that Dobby ran with the bulls.

I want to take this moment to reiterate that Longo is a rich, spoiled girl, a fact that should in no way take away from Dobby's accomplishments.

Yeah, which is why I said it's cool. Dobby is living life to the fullest, but I was picturing Jenny from Forrest Gump. I just can't imagine doing that and not having to worry where to live and how to earn money. I know she mentioned it's not scary even though it seems scary, but I really can't see how someone can just travel without worries.

balls of steel is how.

and don't believe the hype. ppl hated Jared because he got Dobby, not because he was a retard. Now, Jared's crew? well...

The forums have a history of treating people like shit or needlessly worshiping them. They love you, then they hate you, then back again and vice versa. It's the only cycle we know that works and there's no in between. Maybe I'm guilty of praising Dobby too much for traveling, but Jared got way too much shit for dating a board member, that's just fact.

Dobby2244 said:
MattAY said:

Well I can't pick you up physically but I'll see you at St Pancras then on the 15th! ;)

...If I go Ugh, does that eman I'm Forrest Gump?

I don't know, MattAY. She would have to be naked and singing "How many roads must a man walk down?" and you would have to protect her against drunkards.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod