|OT| Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

De-Ting said:
I don't doubt that they'll patch a good amount of the problems, but after how long? And just how long will they support the game? A year or so, like Oblivion? Or hardly at all, like Fallout? These are my grievances.
It's an Elder Scrolls game - therefore you SHOULD have bought it on the PC, at which point Bethesdas involvement with the game becomes 100% irrelevant when the unofficial patches and mods come out, which solve 99% of all the problems and add 10s of hours of extra content to the game, as well as solving many personal grievances (mainly involving graphics - i really want the PC version for the various face, eye and lip mods, and the killable children mod) all for free.
Unfortunately, not many (including me) have PCs good enough to run Skyrim without it looking like ass and lagging, so we're stuck with Bethesda bringing out a patch to solve 10% of the problems every few months until 80% of the problems are solved, at which point they stop supporting it.
They add maybe 5hrs of extra gameplay through DLC, which will cost you about $20 in total.

Skyrim isn't a bad game on it's own, but remember how incredible Oblivion got after a few months of mod support?
A fully modded PC copy of Skyrim in a few months with the unofficial patch will be an absolutely awesome game.

Believe me, I intend to do that, eventually, if it'll work on my Piece-of-C, when the GotY edition comes. It would cost hundreds of dollars for me to get it to run as smoothly as it does on PS3.

I definitely look forward to seeing what kind of enhancements the modding community produces, but will they take longer than the devs? Probably.

De-Ting said:
I definitely look forward to seeing what kind of enhancements the modding community produces, but will they take longer than the devs? Probably.
They take longer than the devs because they generally work either alone or in tiny teams, with no pay at all. They know if they charge for the content, Bethesda will get pissed and possibly sue.

All that, and yet the content they come up with is almost always better than the official stuff.

I think Bethesda are using the modders on purpose. They make the vanilla game just good enough for the consoles to not get too many complaints and still get massive sales. They'll bring out some DLC so the console people don't feel left out, although it'll be crap, and they fix most of the big bugs but don't care about the little ones.
They allow the mod community to actually finish the game. They let them polish it and add so much content, knowing that they will gain PC sales from it and the overall impression of the game will improve.
Already, you can easy improve the graphics much higher over the vanilla release. New textures for everything, new settings. Then you get Xenius' work, with improved faces, eyes, mouths, ears, bodies and Kajit overhauls.
All that with the RAM mod and a better loading screen, and the best part, a fixed inventory with better fonts, and already most of the issues people have with the game are solved, and it looks incredible to boot.
Also, nude mod and killable children.

A modded copy of Skyrim - even right now, just a couple weeks after it's release - is already so much better than the console versions, the next bit of money i get will go into my account, and then about 3 minutes later will be in my favorite online PC retailers account so that i get the main components of my gaming PC so i can build it up and install Skyrim, even before it has a case or DVD drive.

I got that goddamned fucking texture glitch last night. Guess it'll be Rayman Origins tonight, 'cause I ain't playing Skyrim with PS2 graphics.

One thing that really gets me is the lack of beast-race NPCs. We know now that Argonians are warm-blooded and wholly more human than dinosaur, so what's keeping them out of Skyrim? And since when were Khajiits the Tamriel cross between Africans and Chinese?

Speaking of Africans, why are the Redguards so...white? In fact, where is any culture outside of this confusing Nordic/Imperial/Thalmor stuff?

These are things that modders can't fix, only maybe with a lot of time and effort from a large team.

That is really annoying.

There are a few things like that that make me look at this like it was made first to be "Norse Fantasy Game" and only later changed to be Elder Scrolls.

Mumble grumble.

Well there's a big lack of NPCs in Skyrim anyway, i'm pretty sure that's intentional.
And remember, it's a snowy barren place with strong-ass creatures so not too many people would actually want to live there.
Much like only Dunmer like to truly chill around Red Mountain, only Nords truly enjoy being in the snow. The rest of the races 'tolerate' it.

I'm fairly certain Bethesda could have put in about 25% more NPCs, of various races, with a barely noticeable performance drop, but they decided against it.

By that logic, why would they make Skyrim the setting for the next main installment? If it's so barren and boring, it would make more sense if it was an expansion.

It's fine to me. Cant get enough, 65 hours pumped into it already. Just got the 100K gold achievement and now I need to blow it all away! I can buy my skills to max (5 every level but still good). I might max up my Smithing like all you guys have been doing. Got Ebony Mail but I guess Daedric is one level better ...dont really know what else there is to do with my money, can you guys suggest anything?

Just cmopleted the Thieves Guild questline...FINALLY! Took some time to actually work out how to do it but patience is a virtue.

Need to find more Daedric Quests now. I've found 9, completed 8. My favourite being the Ebony Mail.

MattAY said:
Dont really know what else there is to do with my money, can you guys suggest anything?
Buy all the houses and completely stock them with books, potions and weapons?

I've slowly been doing that with my Whiterun home. It's filled with a bunch of enchanted weapons ATM and 1 of the tables has 3x 'quick leave kits', like 3x of each potion, 1x cure disease, some Mammoth cheese, a superior elven dagger and a fire scroll per kit.
Looks awesome. Took much too long to set up.

Glitched, can't use any crafting station, all started when I zoomed out to show the wife my armor and a guard approached me. Now when I zoom out I can't rotate around my character nor use the crafting.

i think im done with skyrim unless i make a caster. gonna clear rayman then go back to uncharted 3 full time.

mattay i read some people talking about a really nice 25,000 dollar home u can buy in skyrim but i dunno where it is, i assume googling it will give you an answer.

edit: it's in solitude. guess it's 36k with addons? lol

Got my Smithing to 100, Dragon armor is nice, though honestly Deadric looks MUCH better. I'm about to just sum it up and finish the main quest to see what happens, then go on to another game.

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
I has a PC capable of running Skyrim, only 2 crashes so far, no glitches.

I'm playing on PC as well. How many hours have you been playing so far?

Steam has me at 90 hours so far. Everything started off beautifully, but when I hit the 80-85 mark things started getting all weird with glitches and been having lots of stability issues that I was not having before. Starting to bum me out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133