2017 Completed Games List

Keeping my productive year going!

Superhot
8/10

Honestly, I wish the challenge modes were available from the start, because the game was never super challenging until the very end. It was only hard when I tried to do stuff like only get kills with certain weapons, and I never used the swap ability once I got it.
Also, the story was absolutely stupid.

Completely agree.

Superhot was so much fun and was an incredibly unique experience. I hated the "story" behind it and honestly, it would have been a much better game if it was just the challenge mode from the get go.

Song of the Deep. A fun underwater Metroidvania. A few little bugs, but a really pretty, interesting game with Great music and pleasant narration.

Recommended!

Song of the Deep. A fun underwater Metroidvania. A few little bugs, but a really pretty, interesting game with Great music and pleasant narration.

Recommended!
That was actually in the Humble Freedom Bundle I've been trying to work through, but didn't know about it.
I'll play through it now!

PS4:

-Bioshock (Remastered) - 8.5 / 10
-Bioshock 2 (Remastered) - 9 / 10
-Bioshock: Infinite (Remastered) - 9 / 10
-Bioshock: Infinite's DLC Burial At Sea: Episode 1 (Remastered) - 8.5 / 10
-Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 9 / 10
-Horizon Zero Dawn - 9.5 / 10
-Injustice 2 - 8.5 / 10
-Styx: Shards of Darkness - 6.5 / 10
-Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - 9 / 10

Nintendo Switch:

-The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 9.5 / 10

PC:

-Mark of the Ninja - 8.5 / 10
-Superhot - 8 / 10
-Fallout 2 - 9 / 10 (note: finished with cheats)

3Ds:

-Metroid: Samus Returns - 9 / 10

I finished Metroid: Samus Returns recently on the weekend. It's the first 3Ds game that I've played from start to finish in a long time. It took me about a week to finish, with about twelve hours of total play time.

I really enjoyed it. The game goes back to traditional Metroid formula, e.g. 2D side scrolling, non-linear exploration, little to no story or/and hand holding, finding new power ups and allowing access to new/previous areas etc.

The game is a remake of the original 1991 Metroid II: The Return of Samus for the classic Gameboy. I played the original when I was eight years old, twenty one years ago. Some areas and enemies are still in tact albeit updated and modified, while the game carries quite a few new mechanics, including melee strikes (for counter attacks) and new "aeon" abilities.

Metroid: Samus Returns is quite difficult. A lot of boss fights had me dying over and over, but like a most 2D games, it's just a matter of timing and understanding the enemy's movements and attack patterns.

Graphically, the game looks nice for a 3Ds title, but it has an absolutely kick arse sound track and overall sound design.

My biggest complaint of the game is... not so much the game itself, but the 3Ds. I found that if I played for a long duration of time, I would experience pain and soreness in my left hand and in particular, the thumb. Unlike previous 3Ds games like Pokemon (which is a far more relaxing game), Metroid: Samus Returns requires reflexes and quick, physical response, so your thumb and hand can get sore when you're frantically trying to avoid enemy attacks, switching weapons/items on the fly in real time etc.

If you have a 3Ds and you're a fan of Metroid, I highly recommend that you pick this one up.

My biggest complaint of the game is... not so much the game itself, but the 3Ds. I found that if I played for a long duration of time, I would experience pain and soreness in my left hand and in particular, the thumb. Unlike previous 3Ds games like Pokemon (which is a far more relaxing game), Metroid: Samus Returns requires reflexes and quick, physical response, so your thumb and hand can get sore when you're frantically trying to avoid enemy attacks, switching weapons/items on the fly in real time etc.

Yeah, totally. I have the New 3DS XL and I still wish it were like twice as large so my bottom fingers wouldn't fall asleep/get all cramped from playing for a long time (doesn't even take that long to be uncomfortable).

Also, do you ever accidentally hit the power button with the bottom finger on your right hand? I've done it no less than three times in the few hours I've been playing Metroid and it sucks so bad. You can't cancel out of it! At least the game has saves often, so far.

Yeah, totally. I have the New 3DS XL and I still wish it were like twice as large so my bottom fingers wouldn't fall asleep/get all cramped from playing for a long time (doesn't even take that long to be uncomfortable).

Also, do you ever accidentally hit the power button with the bottom finger on your right hand? I've done it no less than three times in the few hours I've been playing Metroid and it sucks so bad. You can't cancel out of it! At least the game has saves often, so far.

I also have a New 3Ds XL. I've never done the power button accident (man, that must suck when that happens) but I often find my left hand (especially thumb and index finger) become sore after continuous play.

I find using the spider ball (don't know if you have that, yet) is annoying, especially when using it for long periods... because you have to continuously hold L to use it, then use the analog stick to move left/right. I wish there was an option to change the spider ball function, so that you can just press L (like turning it on/off) instead of holding L.

I find my hand gets sore in particular boss fights, due to the reflexes and response need.

Last edited:
Cuphead

9/10

I beat it pretty quick, but don't think I'm going to go for the S+ rank on every boss on Expert mode.
That said, it's pretty great. Challenging, but fun. I'll almost certainly play through it again in a year or so.

The only major downside is the Run & Gun segments, which are pretty boring.

PS4:

-Injustice 2 - 8.5 / 10

Nintendo Switch:

PC:

-Superhot - 8 / 10

3Ds:

-Metroid: Fusion (3Ds Virtual Console, Game Boy Advanced) - 8 / 10

Downloaded Metroid: Fusion (GBA Virtual Console). It's still a good title, but holy crap, I forgot how short this game is. Beat it in just over three hours.

Still holds up fairly well today. Gotta use the D-Pad instead of the analog stick, though.

It's been a grip since I tracked a game know here, but I just beat XCOM 2 moments ago.

On Easy difficulty, but without reloading a save once. A self-imposed Iron Man mode, since that doesn't appear to be a setting anymore. It took me 29 hours and I was very near to losing in the middle but then got on a roll and had a handful of flawless or nearly flawless missions at the end.

Not sure if next I try it on Normal, or if I get the expansion and go for another Easy Iron Man run with the new content.

Congrats, man! Doing the game in ironman mode (or something like ironman) isn't an easy feat. Over the weekend I've managed to finished Wolfenstien 2. It ended pretty quickly but it's a blast to play.

PS4:

-Injustice 2 - 8.5 / 10

Nintendo Switch:

-Super Mario: Odyssey - 9.5 / 10

PC:

-Superhot - 8 / 10

3Ds:

I recently finished Super Mario: Odyssey and I absolutely loved it. Everything about it is almost perfect. Beautiful graphics, smooth game play, a wonderful soundtrack and art direction, fun game play that just doesn't stop being fun. I think honestly, my only gripe with this one is when compared to previous Mario games like Super Mario 64 all the way up to Super Mario Galaxy, it felt quite short.

Highly recommend.

Finished AC Origins story...the ending was just meh. A bit disappointing in that regard (as it has been for the past few installments!)

PS4:

-Injustice 2 - 8.5 / 10
-Star Wars: Battlefront II (single player campaign) - 6.5 / 10
-Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds - 9.5 / 10

Nintendo Switch:

PC:

-Superhot - 8 / 10

3Ds:

Recently, I finished two games.

First is Star Wars: Battlefront II for the PS4. The single player story campaign starts off quite strong, but ends up going downhill pretty quick. It's predictable, it's cheesy with some horrible writing and the entire thing feels so rushed. The amount of fan service the game throws at you actually feels tacked on. I ended up returning Battlefront II within a week, receiving a full refund of the game. As a passionate fan of Star Wars, I was severely disappointed by this game, almost as much as Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. 6.5 / 10

Next, Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds. I absolutely loved it.

I haven't played Horizon Zero Dawn for a while, so it was tricky to get back into this game, especially because The Frozen Wilds is quite challenging... but I loved everything about it. The story, the game play, the presentation. Man, this is DLC done right. Highly recommend! 9.5 / 10

Wolfenstein: The New Order

8.5/10

Definitely a very flawed game, but I thoroughly enjoyed just about every minute I spent playing it.
That's about all I have to say about that.

Finished Nier: Automata...platinumed and all!

Fuck it was really good in the end. Dramatic and everything - 9S' voice actor is really good.
Loved the hacking elements in the game. The hack & slash is fun, but the hacking brings a new dimension to the action.
Typical Platinum game - R2 = dodge etc. Can even get a power-up to go into "witch time" haha ;)

Finished Letter Quest: Remastered. As I said in the playing now thread, decent little time waster, but nothing mind blowing. Gotta figure out something else for my Vita now.

PS4:

-Injustice 2 - 8.5 / 10
-Star Wars: Battlefront II (single player campaign) - 6.5 / 10
-Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds - 9.5 / 10

Nintendo Switch:

-Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 8.5 / 10

PC:

-Superhot - 8 / 10

3Ds:

I finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for the Nintendo Switch. It's a pretty damn big game, I clocked in over seventy hours to finish the story alone.

For the most part, I enjoyed it. I liked the general setting and premises of the game, and the whole Blades and Titans thing is interesting. Some of the story is predictable, but some of it is quite surprising and really good.

The combat system is pretty good, but what bothers me the most is how hugely powerful enemies are placed in the most random of places... you might be level ten, cruising around and then suddenly, there's a level eighty enemy out of nowhere who pummels you with one shot. It can get frustrating at times, to the point where you just avoid enemies and run away, just to progress with the story. What really bothers me is some healing skills require you to hit the enemy, and healing potions will bounce out... but if you're near an edge of some sort, said potions will often bounce down and away, leaving you unable to heal at all.

The game absolutely nails it when it comes to outdoor environments. Some environments though, particularly indoors, look quite lame and absolutely pale in comparison. The graphics are a bit hit and miss.

The soundtrack for the most part is incredible, especially later in the game. Some music however, such as the generic battle music, can get on your nerves pretty quick.

I think where the game falls the most is the writing and voice acting. It's a very Japanese and "anime" kind of game, which may or may not be to your liking. Some of the writing is honestly pretty bad, but I imagine that's probably a direct result from the translation process. Some of the voice actors sound alright and suitable, but some can come across as pretty annoying.

Speaking of voices... the in-combat talking will seriously get on your nerves. Characters will repeat the same lines, over and over in battle, and it gets old incredibly quick. More annoyingly, some enemies may only have a few lines, but they're essentially spammed. I fought a group of Imperial soldiers who's only lines were "Think you can take me?!" and "Don't forget me!", and each of these soldiers (about six of them) were saying these same lines, over and over, and often together. Ugh.

Despite its flaws, I'm giving it a pretty decent score because for the most part, I really enjoyed it. If you have a Nintendo Switch or/and are into JRPGs, then I'd recommend this one, for sure.

Last edited:
Normally I like trying to get all trophies in a game, but these days that would mean I only get to play one game every couple of years, so I'm counting Dishonored 2 as completed. I finished the story last night using Emily Kaldwin, eliminated every target in the alternate fashion, though I didn't manage to ghost past the first level and had a few deaths on my hands here and there. While I would love to attempt a perfect run, and likely will someday, right now I want to move on to something else for a while, like Uncharted Lost Legacy or Persona 5, both of which I got for Christmas.

And that's that for 2017!

While I didn't get through my goal of playing every game, I definitely beat about 20 more than last year. So that sure is nice!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod